U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 06:28 PM
LLN

4,977 posts, read 8,727,347 times

Advertisements

My daughter graduated from UNCSA, in Winston. Tremendous education and more importantly, tremendous alumni network. She has a BFA in film, Art Department.

UNCSA is not for the feint of heart. It is essentially a public conservatory. Academic classes in the morning, film classes in afternoon, work on sets/productions most of the evening, then do it all again. Rigorous but awesome prep for real world.

She has worked in TV and movies in NYC for about 22 months, continuously. First six months mostly worked as an "intern" working for free, but then alumni network percolated and she has done great (fully employed) with plenty of opportunities awaiting at end of each job. She is now booked solidly well past the first of the year.

Education, training, and network have really made a difference. Regardless of what you want to do and where you want to go make sure you attend to the big picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 07:10 PM

1,299 posts, read 1,222,746 times
Yeah I was about to say you might want to check out the UNCSA in Winston Salem it has produced a lot of people we know today in tv and film:

Famous Alumni of North Carolina School Of The Arts | Celebrities Who Graduated/Went to North Carolina School Of The Arts

Hollywood Reporter also ranked it as #6 in the top 25 drama schools

The 25 Best Drama Schools in 2014 - Hollywood Reporter - Hollywood Reporter

Quote:
Winston-Salem, N.C.

UNCSA accepts 28 out of 450 applicants, and after its 2013 showcases in New York and LA, 17 of 25 grads landed an agent or manager. Ten months after graduation, 13 have SAG or Equity cards.

Old 08-02-2015, 07:36 PM

21,903 posts, read 27,184,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
My daughter graduated from UNCSA, in Winston. Tremendous education and more importantly, tremendous alumni network. She has a BFA in film, Art Department.

UNCSA is not for the feint of heart. It is essentially a public conservatory. Academic classes in the morning, film classes in afternoon, work on sets/productions most of the evening, then do it all again. Rigorous but awesome prep for real world.

She has worked in TV and movies in NYC for about 22 months, continuously. First six months mostly worked as an "intern" working for free, but then alumni network percolated and she has done great (fully employed) with plenty of opportunities awaiting at end of each job. She is now booked solidly well past the first of the year.

Education, training, and network have really made a difference. Regardless of what you want to do and where you want to go make sure you attend to the big picture.
It's been a long time since I got my BFA. At that time the 1/2 a credit per hour of studio class time was a requirement for schools that were accredited to grant the degree. Is that still the case?

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-02-2015 at 08:22 PM..

Old 08-02-2015, 08:00 PM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
It's been a long time since I got my BFA.at that time the 1/2 a credit per hour of studio class time was a requirement for schools that were accredited to grant the degree. Is that still the case?
I don't think that is how it worked but I am not sure. I know there were requirements for doing film and projects, but the real motivation in all, and I mean all, the work on productions was to demonstrate expertise and commitment to put them in good stead to be picked by the faculty in the discipline they desired to study. Just like in the real world, students quickly developed reps as can do types or, sometimes, otherwise.

My daughter was in the production design arena and worked constantly from freshman year on. She exceeded the required films by a wide margin, but due to her effort and work was able to do the exact things that she wanted to.

In summary I expect she spent as many hours working on productions as she did in all her formal class work, combined.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:27 PM

Quote:
I don't think that is how it worked but I am not sure. I know there were requirements for doing film and projects, but the real motivation in all, and I mean all, the work on productions was to demonstrate expertise and commitment to put them in good stead to be picked by the faculty in the discipline they desired to study. Just like in the real world, students quickly developed reps as can do types or, sometimes, otherwise.

My daughter was in the production design arena and worked constantly from freshman year on. She exceeded the required films by a wide margin, but due to her effort and work was able to do the exact things that she wanted to.

In summary I expect she spent as many hours working on productions as she did in all her formal class work, combined.
Thanks. However the credit thing is handled, it sounds like the work ethic is still pushed. You don't get a BFA & party.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:37 AM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
You don't get a BFA & party.
Based on what I heard and learned, truer words were never spoken!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Based on what I heard and learned, truer words were never spoken!
I graduated from Philadelphia College of Art, which later became part of University of the Arts. Many days were from morning until the school closed about 10:30 or 11 pm, midnight on some nights. Been there, done that. I always recommend BFA ove BA programs but believe in telling the whole truth about what to expect. It's not for everyone.

Last edited by southbound_295; 08-03-2015 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or