U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 12:52 PM

2,837 posts, read 2,543,856 times

Advertisements

I live near Matthews off Monroe Road, and I love the idea of rail coming down Monroe Road. Wish it would start construction today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2015, 02:31 PM

11,720 posts, read 9,343,453 times
I don't see this happening but it would be a great idea. Not sure why they didn't put LR down the middle of Independence.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:51 PM

661 posts, read 574,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I don't see this happening but it would be a great idea. Not sure why they didn't put LR down the middle of Independence.
Because Independence can't serve as a freeway & create walkable mixed-used nodes. Imagine trying to crosss a busy intersection to board a train in the middle of a freeway. The Urban Land Institute suggested allowing Indy to function as a freeway & to move neighborhood services including rail transit toward central & monroe

Old 08-05-2015, 04:13 PM

44,344 posts, read 17,716,609 times
Keep in mind that at this point it is a study. Not a decision to do it. If you wish to provide input to the study this is your chance to do it. See this.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/c...s/default.aspx

Old 08-05-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Keep in mind that at this point it is a study. Not a decision to do it. If you wish to provide input to the study this is your chance to do it. See this.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/c...s/default.aspx
True but this corridor has the best chance to receive federal funding provided CATS can come up with it's portion.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:25 PM

106 posts, read 104,533 times
I'll be at least at the Matthews meeting, getting there a little late from work. I'm a Matthews native, so I intend on making this happen, and happen well :P

Old 08-06-2015, 12:25 AM

1,012 posts, read 1,180,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
Because Independence can't serve as a freeway & create walkable mixed-used nodes. Imagine trying to crosss a busy intersection to board a train in the middle of a freeway. The Urban Land Institute suggested allowing Indy to function as a freeway & to move neighborhood services including rail transit toward central & monroe
I don't think it's "impossible" to put rail down independence. Just make that portion elevated with elevated stations. Hell its done further down the blue line so it's completely possible. You can still convert Indy to an expressway but some configuration will have to be done to make it more transit friendly at the stations. If NYC and Los Angles can do it then Charlotte shouldnt have a problem as well. This line has the chance to be one of the most dense parts of the city. What do you see driving down Indy heading towards Uptown? It's barren and flat as hell with hardly any trees. This area is ripe for development if done correctly.

Old 08-06-2015, 04:50 AM

44,344 posts, read 17,716,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
I don't think it's "impossible" to put rail down independence. Just make that portion elevated with elevated stations....
This was the original plan. I believe the stations at Pecan, Briar Creek and Amity Gardens were going to be at grade level where these roads cross Independence.

But that route is dead. The NCDOT & city didn't want to couple the fate of the HOV lanes to the decision of whether the Silver Line would be built or not.

Old 08-06-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choloboy36 View Post
I don't think it's "impossible" to put rail down independence. Just make that portion elevated with elevated stations. Hell its done further down the blue line so it's completely possible. You can still convert Indy to an expressway but some configuration will have to be done to make it more transit friendly at the stations. If NYC and Los Angles can do it then Charlotte shouldnt have a problem as well. This line has the chance to be one of the most dense parts of the city. What do you see driving down Indy heading towards Uptown? It's barren and flat as hell with hardly any trees. This area is ripe for development if done correctly.
I didn't mean that LRT couldn't be run down independence but that it wouldn't create walkable urban nodes around stations nor would it be convenient to people who want to walk or ride bikes to the stations. It would just be good for moving commuters from the suburbs. Every urban expert the city has commissioned agreed that Independence would best be served as a true freeway & allow uses that best fit freeways & to focus more on converting Monroe& Central to more pedestrian/bike friendly nodes because they fit better there. If the city/state had chosen to turn Indy into a super street then it might have worked.

Old 08-06-2015, 08:26 AM

106 posts, read 104,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
If the city/state had chosen to turn Indy into a super street then it might have worked.
Yes. They only way I could have worked is if there was a will to make:
-Light rail down the median
-Pedestrian/bike friendly "service lanes" on the outer edges of the road to accommodate slower traffic speeds, with tree-planted medians.

I can't find the real life examples of this I've seen, but here's a rough estimation of the outer lanes:

They even hypothetically could do it after the state converts it to a freeway, and still keep the main travel lanes as unimpeded freeway speeds, they just wouldn't have street-level crosswalks and would need some more pedestrian bridges- and also very safely-designed exit interchanges. But then Charlotte would have to say "scr-w you" to the state after they spent all those NCDOT dollars to widen it.

But right now that's pretty much dead. If you look at the city's Independence Boulevard Area Plan, the land-use recommendations are straight-up "auto-oriented businesses and designs". They cite that new Wal-Mart as a prime example. So, they've pretty much abandoned any desire to make Indy ped-friendly.

Though I suspect in the decades ahead there will be efforts to retrofit certain areas for ped-saftey. But who knows when...

Last edited by Sgt Campsalot; 08-06-2015 at 08:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or