Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 02:13 PM

1 posts, read 12,510 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My job just got transferred to the Charlotte area and we are looking at Mooresville. I understand that there are 2 school districts Mooresville and wondered if one was considered better than the other and why. All opinions are welcome

Thanks

TJ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2007, 04:32 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,687,817 times
Mooresville schools are some of the best around, regardless of the district. The districts are Iredell-Statesville Schools and Mooresville Graded School District.

MGSD does their elementary K-2 and 3-5, which some people like better.
As a whole, the Mooresville area ISS schools score better.

I don't have first hand experience other that being a teacher job hunting! (And, I do not work in Mooresville, so I can't give that perspective either. I took the 1st job offered to me, which was next door in Rowan County. I will likely be seeking employment in Mooresville next year!)

Old 09-18-2007, 12:49 PM

170 posts, read 641,471 times
I can speak from personal experience...

I "chose" to live in Mooresville, but chose the Iredell-Statesville Schools...I think they are better. They have better schools/standardized test scores, etc. Mooresville Graded is good, but not as good as ISS's IMO.

PM me and we can talk more, if you want!

Good Luck!

Old 12-04-2007, 04:48 PM

6,150 posts, read 9,967,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LItoNC View Post
I moved to the LKN area from Long Island and schools were a very big issue as we were moving from an area with some of the very best schools in the country. Through some online research the ISS schools scored slightly better on paper in some subjects than MGSD. But in some subjects MGSD scored better than ISS. With the data we gathered we ended up moving to The Point which is in the ISS district.
Spooky... we went through the same analysis and are about to move into a rental in Morrison Plantation to get the Lake schools. We almost rented in Cherry Grove and had Parkview for Elem. We really wanted Woodland Heights as we have friends who lived in the Point (they've since moved into a house they had built in Poplar Grove) - which also goes to Woodland.

Ideally I'd like to find something up Perth towards Troutman for the future... But, now that scares me with you having LIVED in that district and moved to the "old" Mooresville side just for the schools.

Did the traffic on Brawley School have anything to do with it?!

Old 12-09-2007, 10:29 AM

1 posts, read 17,583 times
Getting away from Brawley school road was a huge bonus as the traffic is horrible over there although I miss being "on" the Lake. The traffic here is much better. Im sure the traffic will get worse as there is a lot of building here. Once the Mooresville Mills and Legacy VIllage is completed we will start seeing more traffic but I cant imagine it getting as bad as Brawley School. It used to take me 20 min to get to my house from exit 36 when I lived on the lake side. Now it takes me 3 min. As for the schools, I dont wanna give the wrong impression.. ISS (Lake Norman) schools are very very good. Arguably better that MGSD. I moved to MGSD because as I felt its a better fit for my family. There is less crowding and I like the feel of the school. Im sure more that half of the people on this site think that ISS is better and thats is probably true (for them). Thats why its important to get to the schools yourself to make an educated choice on what school is best for your family.

Last edited by LItoNC; 12-09-2007 at 10:43 AM..

Old 12-09-2007, 01:22 PM

872 posts, read 3,575,165 times
Ha! Yes, I've heard a lot of stories similar to yours. People move to the ISS side because they see they score better on paper, but then end up going to the MGSD side because it has a better atmosphere than Lake Norman Schools.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:50 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,514,638 times
Mooresville "CITY" Schools are better rated or so the media says.

Lake Norman High is not a Mooresville "CITY" School but I am sure it is good to.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:56 PM

26 posts, read 87,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LItoNC View Post
A vote MGSD from someone who has lived in both districts.

I moved to the LKN area from Long Island and schools were a very big issue as we were moving from an area with some of the very best schools in the country. Through some online research the ISS schools scored slightly better on paper in some subjects than MGSD. But in some subjects MGSD scored better than ISS. With the data we gathered we ended up moving to The Point which is in the ISS district. Although the schools in this district were new and shiny, there were definately other issues that the online reports dont show. After 3 years we ended up renting our house out and buying a place in the MGSD district. We absolutely love this district. This district seems much smarter with their planning; the teachers/administration are a pleasure to work with and there is a real feeling of community here. Probably once our kids graduate, we will move back to the lake but for now we choose to live in the MGSD district.

But most importantly, visit the facilities and talk to the teachers and staff, then make your choice. The online research will only give you a general idea of the school.

Feel free to PM for any detailed information.
Your message is exactly the info I am looking for. We are (or maybe were) interested in relocating to the Lake Norman area-liked the schools, activities, etc. Having a special needs child is making the choice even more difficult.
Is the traffic on Brawley School Rd really that bad?
What didn't you like about The Point?
What didn't you like about the schools?
The academics seem much more advanced than NJ, do you find that it is difficult for the kids to keep up?
I appreciate for your input.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:57 AM

7 posts, read 35,294 times
Default Mooresville Vs. Lake Norman School District

I agree with the fact that School systems in both areas are desirable. My nephews go to Woodland Heights, Brawley and Lake Norman High. The problem that I see with the South Iredell District that my family attends is that they are primarily focused on scoring high on the test. They teach memorization for the EOG test starting midway through the school and typical teaching has gone by the way side. This is concerning especially for elementary kids. They need a solid foundation and the stress is too much. Phonics is no longer utilized and the focus has shifted away from preparing the kids for the future to lets get the highest scores so that we can get "school of excellence" If you have a child who is not used to this incredibly fast paced learning, a school like Woodland Heights could very well be a detriment and have an adverse effect. Also, Lake Norman High School is so unrealistic and not real world like. When you have many kids driving 60k -100k cars to high school there is a problem. What happened to working for what you want in life. Integrity, Character, and honesty are the charachteristics along with responsibility and being respectful that I want my nephews to learn. Scores only tell a very small part of the story. I would encourage you to talk to the super intendent of all districts considered and really weigh all the options. Mooresville Graded School district has some amazing technology and a lot of support from Lowes. They also are very spirited and competitive, but also remember that kids still need to have fun too!

My sister lives in the Point and Brawley School Road is a nightmare!!!!!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:14 AM

1,865 posts, read 5,352,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShirleyandCarroll View Post
I agree with the fact that School systems in both areas are desirable. My nephews go to Woodland Heights, Brawley and Lake Norman High. The problem that I see with the South Iredell District that my family attends is that they are primarily focused on scoring high on the test. They teach memorization for the EOG test starting midway through the school and typical teaching has gone by the way side. This is concerning especially for elementary kids. They need a solid foundation and the stress is too much. Phonics is no longer utilized and the focus has shifted away from preparing the kids for the future to lets get the highest scores so that we can get "school of excellence" If you have a child who is not used to this incredibly fast paced learning, a school like Woodland Heights could very well be a detriment and have an adverse effect. Also, Lake Norman High School is so unrealistic and not real world like. When you have many kids driving 60k -100k cars to high school there is a problem. What happened to working for what you want in life. Integrity, Character, and honesty are the charachteristics along with responsibility and being respectful that I want my nephews to learn. Scores only tell a very small part of the story. I would encourage you to talk to the super intendent of all districts considered and really weigh all the options. Mooresville Graded School district has some amazing technology and a lot of support from Lowes. They also are very spirited and competitive, but also remember that kids still need to have fun too!

My sister lives in the Point and Brawley School Road is a nightmare!!!!!
A friend of mine (our sons have known each other since preK) was living on the LKN side of Mooresville until her home was built. Her son was in LNHS & she couldn't wait to get him out of there! She also thought it was a beautiful school, brand new & good scores until she had to deal with it on a daily basis. She had many of the same complaints, rude, disrespectful kids that felt they were entitled to everything, kids driving the very expensive cars, unaccessible teachers, no feedback from the teachers about the students, & the traffic were some of her issues. Her son's at Mooresville HS now & she says it's like another world & they are very pleased.

My son is a sophomore & he loves MHS! We have found the teachers to be very positive about the students. They are caring & involved with them & very accessible to the parents. It is a very "real-world" school. We find it to be a very well-rounded enviroment for our son & his education & he's happy there. BTW, did you know that, as of next fall, every student at MHS will have a laptop?

I agree, you need to tour the schools & ask questions...get a feel for the place. We did & are very happy with our decision to move into the MGSD. (It's also alot quieter & more country-like on this side of town)>

BxRosie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte