U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2015, 09:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,597 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I are looking at buying a townhouse in NODA off N Davidson St. I have heard some things about the trains that run through the night. Does anyone have any feedback on the noise level? I thought I heard it run while we were there and it was not too loud. We also have a dog who is sensitive to loud noises like thunder, but not other outside noises. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2015, 09:52 AM

106 posts, read 96,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devitovison1 View Post
Hello!

My husband and I are looking at buying a townhouse in NODA off N Davidson St. I have heard some things about the trains that run through the night. Does anyone have any feedback on the noise level? I thought I heard it run while we were there and it was not too loud. We also have a dog who is sensitive to loud noises like thunder, but not other outside noises. What are your thoughts? Thanks!
In 2017 the noise will stop altogether, so there's that.

Right now, they're a little bad. But, it's very much a different opinion for everyone. I'd go hang out at smelly cat or daily press for an afternoon and experience it as much as you can for yourself.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:25 AM

4,642 posts, read 4,457,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Campsalot View Post
In 2017 the noise will stop altogether, so there's that.

Right now, they're a little bad. But, it's very much a different opinion for everyone. I'd go hang out at smelly cat or daily press for an afternoon and experience it as much as you can for yourself.
Why is that? Isn't the OP referring to traffic on the NCRR line? I'm not aware that train traffic is going to stop on that in 2017.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:56 AM

20,493 posts, read 25,691,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Why is that? Isn't the OP referring to traffic on the NCRR line? I'm not aware that train traffic is going to stop on that in 2017.
I suspect that the OP is speaking of the same trains that roll through Kings Mountain all night. I sincerely doubt that they are going away in 2 years. The downtown crossings are currently being modified to keep trucks off the tracks. I really doubt that train traffic will be stopping in 2 years.

Old 08-06-2015, 12:00 PM

Im sorry i shouldve clarified what I meant. I mean is that the light rail extension is changing the grade crossings along most of n davidson. 36th st is being dug so the trains will go over the road, sugar creek is having a bridge built over it so the cars go over the tracks, and Craighead will be closed forever.

The biggest intention is to prevent car traffic flow problems, but also to decrease the need for train horns, and since those tracks are being updated for higher speed freight rail, the passenger trains may be a little faster on that leg, so it's an entire overhaul of that stretch of the corridor

Last edited by Sgt Campsalot; 08-06-2015 at 12:40 PM..

Old 08-06-2015, 12:21 PM

20,493 posts, read 25,691,530 times
Quote:
What I mean is that the light rail extension is changing the grade crossings along most of n davidson. 36th st is being dug so the trains will go over the road, sugar creek is having a bridge built over it so the cars go over the tracks, and Craighead will be closed forever.

The biggest intention is to prevent car traffic flow problems, but also to decrease the need for train horns, and since those tracks are being updated for higher speed freight rail, the passenger trains may be a little faster on that leg, so it's an entire overhaul of that stretch of the corridor
I live ~ 2 blocks from the train tracks in Kings Mountain. The horns are muffled at night. I never hear them when I'm asleep.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:28 PM

4,581 posts, read 6,106,204 times
I lived in the area for quite some time, about 1/3 mile from the tracks, but further from the nearest crossing. I could occasionally hear them, but I quickly got used to it. With the coming changes, you should be good to go.

Old 08-06-2015, 02:56 PM

77 posts, read 111,980 times
I live near them now, and it took me no time to get used to them. They aren't bad at all.

Old 08-07-2015, 01:05 AM

38,060 posts, read 15,286,103 times
Quote:
In 2017 the noise will stop altogether, so there's that..
Hmm. No. That is a major rail corridor for all sorts of trains. If anything traffic & noise on it will increase though as you state, the horn noise should decrease.

My advice to the OP, if this sort of noise bothers you, then you might want to look elsewhere.

Old 08-07-2015, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If anything traffic & noise on it will increase though as you state, the horn noise should decrease.
Yes that is what I said I meant.

The train itself isn't that bad for most people. It's the horns that will kill your quality of life

Last edited by Sgt Campsalot; 08-07-2015 at 06:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or