U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2015, 08:24 PM

119 posts, read 159,735 times

Advertisements

I recently bought a house (first one), which has a fig and peach tree. I am trying to plant year round plants down here that will produce fruit. I bought a peara tree and blueberry bush so far. Any other edible year round plants you would recommend to grow down here?

Appreciate the help, as this is new to me, but fun so far :-)

Last edited by sixburgh90; 08-09-2015 at 08:34 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2015, 10:25 AM

149 posts, read 147,202 times
You're going to need more blueberry bushes, for pollination. You have time to start a strawberry patch, and raspberries or blackberries are doable if you have the space to let them take over, or the patience to train them. I do figs as well, but haven't tried other fruits because they seem to have lots of pests and I'm too lazy for that. Most vegetables aren't year round. Asparagus is. The plants aren't terribly attractive.

Old 08-10-2015, 01:13 PM

986 posts, read 737,896 times
Collard greens and chard are probably your best bet for winter production. Unless you have a heated greenhouse don't expect any fruit in the winter.

The earliest fruits in the spring will be strawberries and mulberries. Blueberries, peaches and figs cover you for summer. You should consider pawpaws (ripen in Sept.) and persimmons (ripen Oct. - Nov.) for fall.

Old 08-10-2015, 02:32 PM

50 posts, read 58,140 times
Don't forget herbs. Many are edible and hard year round addictions to your garden. The best way to check out what plants will do well in the are is to visit your local farmers market and ask if their offering were grown locally. Also buying plants from FM vendors that at grown locally is a good bet. Plus, they can tell you their own tried and true growing tips for the area.

Old 08-11-2015, 08:36 PM

119 posts, read 159,735 times
thanks all for the help. where do u all go for the plants. a coworker advised renfrows, which looks good. ive bought the plants from lowes so far

Old 08-11-2015, 10:58 PM

166 posts, read 140,747 times
apple
orange
peach
pear
blueberry
blackberry
strawberry
banana
coconut
cherry
can't think of any more off the top of my head. This is a good climate for most fruit and berry plants.

Old 08-11-2015, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixburgh90 View Post
thanks all for the help. where do u all go for the plants. a coworker advised renfrows, which looks good. ive bought the plants from lowes so far
just buy some fruit and plant the seed at home and once it sprouts give it some time and then eventually move it into the ground and voila it was free to plant. why buy the plant? (rhetorical question)

Old 08-12-2015, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmtrees View Post
apple
orange
peach
pear
blueberry
blackberry
strawberry
banana
coconut
cherry
can't think of any more off the top of my head. This is a good climate for most fruit and berry plants.
Apple - will get rusts carried by cedars. Be very very careful in cultivar selection.
Orange - too cold for fruit producing cultivars
Peach - good suggestion
Pear - good suggestion
Blueberry - ok as long as you don't give it city water (PH is too high)
Blackberry - good but not much curb appeal
Strawberry - great for Charlotte
Banana - too cold for fruit
Coconut - too cold for nuts
Cherry - not enough chill hours for sweet cherries. Maybe ok for sour cherries.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepalmtrees View Post
why buy the plant? (rhetorical question)
Because good fruit trees are generally carefully selected clones grafted onto a rootstock appropriate for the soil. Leaving fruit trees to the genetic lottery will get you inferior (or no) fruit 99% of the time. I'd hate for you to care for a fruit tree 10 years only to find out the reason its not fruiting is because it is a male.

Old 08-12-2015, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
Because good fruit trees are generally carefully selected clones grafted onto a rootstock appropriate for the soil. Leaving fruit trees to the genetic lottery will get you inferior (or no) fruit 99% of the time. I'd hate for you to care for a fruit tree 10 years only to find out the reason its not fruiting is because it is a male.
This is very useful to know!! Wow thank you!! I'm going to remember this info for the rest of my life and it will help prevent me from wasting decades growing benign trees! Thank You!!

By the way, trees are not male or female, they contain both semblances of male and female on the same plant. However, if the tree is not pollinated, that is pollinating from the male part to the female part of the plant, then it will not bear fruit. source: The many reasons that fruit trees don
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or