U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 05:44 PM

545 posts, read 459,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Campsalot View Post
I want some opinions and ideas:

How would you encourage an increase in racial diversity in a predominantly white town/neighborhood-region over the course of one generation... WITHOUT public subsidy? I'm talking from policy, to grassroots.

As a note, I specifically mean the ultimate result of the buying of homes by more diverse groups in the town/area. Not just renting domiciles. Im talking hard ownership.

Go.
Why does it have to be "White" areas? What about predominately black or Asian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2015, 07:45 PM

68 posts, read 194,881 times
To the OP... If you are white and believe so strongly in diversity, put your money where your mouth is and move to a black neighborhood.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:01 PM

11,723 posts, read 9,349,304 times
Anyone who lives inside 277 knows first hand that whites are moving into Black areas.

Old 08-26-2015, 10:03 PM

55,553 posts, read 74,425,183 times
It's so easy
Stop the violence
When the sheep huddle the wolves think it's discrimination

Old 08-27-2015, 02:38 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,385,493 times
A lot of cynicism and close mindedness driven by defensiveness, fear and ignorance on this thread.

I don't know the answer to the OP. I guess my first question would be "why?" Lower crime? Better housing prices? A richer life experience for kids? What are the best qualities for a neighborhood to have, and how does a diverse racial population vs. homogeneous one impact these factors? The assumption so far by many posters is that more diversity = more problems, but it's not that cut/dry when you look at research in a broad perspective. I find this uninformed mindset to be understandable if you're a simpleton but pretty arrogant and plainly wrong when you're thinking of the overall community and all of the factors that contribute to a great community.

If we use schools as a model, I do know that hindsight has proven that CMS was healthier on the whole when busing students to desegregate based on race. Whoever said that busing was a failure in Charlotte must have had their head in the sand during the busing. We were a national model of how to "do it right". Every school for sure has issues, but when you compare the ridiculous disparate gap and measured performance of our re segregated schools it's difficult to argue that the current state is better on the whole.

Disclaimer: I was a minority white student at a black school and benefited from the experience of being bused. Unfortunately, I don't think there is any way we will see CMS busingbased on race again, and I fear the re-segregation of our schools will harm those who need the most help. Much of this is due to the false assumptions by those that have moved here since the success, and only have past knowledge of failures in Detroit or Boston.

What I do know is that our society seems far more fearful and wary of a racially and economically diverse scenario than they should. I believe the fear and blame in response to sensationalized reporting and inherent confirmation bias has created a community that is out of touch and empathetic to the real pressures affecting or poorest communities. We see that in these posts. Utter disregard for your role in the community as a whole. Defensiveness, fear and blame. What we need is more empathy. More understanding. More real dialogue about the cause/effect. And a realization that we are all in this together. What is good for the poor areas and families of Charlotte is good for the wealthy and vice-versa. Instead we are getting what we want from the media - knee jerk, sensational crap spewing as loud and quickly as we want to consume it that makes us feel further and more different than we are.

I've rambled a bit here and I don't have a clear answer. I pray that those that care going to outpace the hate on this thread. Sadly, when we think about schools and communities becoming more segregated, I think it makes this educational effort more difficult. That said, I imagine a lot of these curmudgeon posters to be older folks anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or