U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2015, 11:04 AM

96 posts, read 62,097 times

Advertisements

My husband and I currently live in York, PA (southern PA) and would like a change of scenery. We are sick of the long, cold winters here in PA. We tried to think of the perfect state (for us) and came up with NC.

In a state, we are looking for:
1. Short, mild winters
2. Low cost of living
3. Friendly people
4. A rural state with mountains (a beach is a bonus, although we LOVE the mountains much more)
5. As stated above, we love mountains and we love rolling farmlands, lakes, forests, etc (beautiful scenery is a big thing for me)
6. We want to be within a 12 hour drive to York, PA since our parents are residing here
7. An area not too bad in crime

I am an occupational therapy assistant and my husband is a police officer. He is interested in working for Charlotte PD, so we are looking to find a town within an hour of Charlotte that has as much of the above characteristics as possible.

My questions are:
1. In your opinion, do you think the state of NC as a whole is the best match for what we are looking for (again, that's within a 12 hour drive of PA)?
2. I DID already put a post on here asking for country towns within an hour of Charlotte, but I guess the more responses the merrier. So far, Lincolnton, Hickory, Kings Mountain, and Midland have been suggested. Anymore?

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2015, 12:26 PM

343 posts, read 486,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR87 View Post
My husband and I currently live in York, PA (southern PA) and would like a change of scenery. We are sick of the long, cold winters here in PA. We tried to think of the perfect state (for us) and came up with NC.

In a state, we are looking for:
1. Short, mild winters
2. Low cost of living
3. Friendly people
4. A rural state with mountains (a beach is a bonus, although we LOVE the mountains much more)
5. As stated above, we love mountains and we love rolling farmlands, lakes, forests, etc (beautiful scenery is a big thing for me)
6. We want to be within a 12 hour drive to York, PA since our parents are residing here
7. An area not too bad in crime

I am an occupational therapy assistant and my husband is a police officer. He is interested in working for Charlotte PD, so we are looking to find a town within an hour of Charlotte that has as much of the above characteristics as possible.

My questions are:
1. In your opinion, do you think the state of NC as a whole is the best match for what we are looking for (again, that's within a 12 hour drive of PA)?
2. I DID already put a post on here asking for country towns within an hour of Charlotte, but I guess the more responses the merrier. So far, Lincolnton, Hickory, Kings Mountain, and Midland have been suggested. Anymore?

Thank you for your time!
I certainly think NC fits most of your criteria. If you love the mountains, I would suggest living closer to them (think Kings Mountain, Hickory, Lincolnton, Statesville, Mooresville, Denver, etc.) on the west or north side of Charlotte. From any of these towns you would have pretty decent access to I-77N for the trips back to PA. Beaches would be 4-5 hours in just about any of these locations. Good luck to you and I hope you find what you are looking for! PM me if you have any other questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or