U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2015, 05:25 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,738,691 times

Advertisements

I agree - Dilworth has fine schools comprising of Dilworth elementary AG Middle and Myers Park High - one of the best. Selwyn is also a very good elementary school with the same high school feeder. If you want to be close in - best to look at Myers Park HS feeder zone. This area is so desirable that 600K won't get you much. Might want to try Cotswold also in MP zone. Noda and Plaza Midwood are neighborhoods you would like also but the schools are not so good. This may change for PM's elementary school as the area's gentrification keeps expanding, but the high school is atrocious. CMS does have some fine magnet schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 06:23 AM

367 posts, read 558,163 times
Also check out Cotswold... very family-friendly... 10 minutes from Plaza Midwood.

Good schools. Crappy rush hour traffic, but you're only 10-15 min from uptown.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:37 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,384,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlterp View Post
I have never heard of Shamrock Gardens being called a great school. Yes there are some PM parents who are trying to make a go of it through a lot of parental involvement, but by and large, it is pretty challenged. I think that it is no longer a title 1 school, so no magnet preference for those zoned for the school.

As far as Cotswold, it is getting pretty pricey. A portion of the neighborhood is zoned for Eastover elementary, then AG and Myers Park HS, but would say that zoning could be tenuous based on geography. There is also a portion of the neighborhood zoned for Cotswold Elementary,

I can understand you not hearing this that often. There is a first for everything I suppose! Have you been in the school lately? They really are doing some amazing things. Pretty cool when a community gets behind it's school and starts asking "What can WE do to improve the schools vs. What can a school do for MY child?" They have improved leaps and bounds beyond what I assume you may have heard negatively about it. Unfortunately, most rumors or assumptions about schools are typically limited to the soccer mom echo chamber and don't reflect reality - they are more linked to the status placed on them by that group. Doesn't mean the ones that make the common "great school" list aren't great schools also, just saying that schools like Shamrock Gardens do deserve fair consideration. If you visited you may be surprised to see how awesome the learning community is there right now.

They have really improved a lot over the last few years. The active community you mention is a big part of it. "Trying to make a go of it" seems like a futile way of describing the effort of this group. The fact is that they have made great gains and are part of a very active, diverse, supportive community. I see the trend continuing. It's really a great thing to see in parts of town that are gentrifying. There are a lot of schools that could really use Shamrock as a model. Most importantly - I was tailoring advice to the OP. The poster stated that they valued diversity and had success in the past not letting others' fear hold them back from learning on their own. We need more people like them in CMS! The schools are not as "bad" as many think. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying every school in CMS is just rosy, I just know that the simplified grade scale the state unveiled, as well as some of these sites tracking EOG performance are severely lacking as far as indicating which schools have rich learning communities. We all want the same thing from our schools and many are not given an opportunity to provide that due to false assumptions built through fear.

Sorry for the rant. I will disclaim I have no vested interest in Shamrock but am a huge supporter of public schools in general. I think Charlotte needs the communities support for CMS and vice versa. If our public schools go the way of many other urban centers and are no longer considered feasible options we will ALL suffer for it! I think the biggest unkown, and what is impossible to plan on, is how redistricting may impact any of these answers.

On the original topic, I agree Cotswold is getting pretty pricey. Sherwood Forest still has some good deals. Maybe Sedgefield is another option for the OP?

Old 09-04-2015, 06:58 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,738,691 times
I would have no problem sending my kid to Shamrock Gardens. It's the middle and high school in the area that causes problems. If you can get your kid into nearby Piedmont middle - it's one of the best but it's a lottery.

Old 09-04-2015, 09:58 AM

45 posts, read 67,218 times
Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all the help. My brother and his family relocated to Huntersville last year. Their kids are about my kids' ages (7 and 9) but they're zoned for Hough HS and he says they aren't far from downtown.

When I first made this thread I was not all that happy about the move (I like Austin more than my husband does, but he's the breadwinner) and was grasping at any way to recapture what we have here. But as we talk more and think more, it's true that Austin for us has not been what it was cracked up to be. Our families are NC transplants (mine) and WV (his), and we're doing this more for our girls and to be near family...so I am OK with giving up some "hip" and "gritty" for that. I have a pretty creative, and portable, job that I've only been able to do as a side project here, but the COL in Charlotte would allow me to do it full time. It will also give me an opportunity to meet like-minded people (I'm the managing editor of a tiny but growing music magazine). I'm used to being somewhat "different" - the rockabilly scene is pretty small anywhere in the US except maybe Los Angeles.

Ramble ramble ramble. Long story short, to get a good education for my kids and the proximity to family, I'm willing to put up with a slightly longer drive and a more suburban life than I might have chosen otherwise. I still don't want TOO cookie cutter though.

I just booked a trip to visit my brother at the end of September, so I'm really looking forward to looking around.

Old 09-04-2015, 10:57 AM

39 posts, read 35,578 times
When you come down in a few weeks, consider a drive thru Davidson. It might tick a lot of boxes for you, and is close to Huntersville. Yes it's further from uptown, but you can likely find a community up there that doesn't necessitate frequent trips down to Charlotte anyway. Also see if you can squeeze in trips out to Puckett's in Derita, and the Milestone on Tuckaseegee, both Charlotte institutions.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:00 PM

21,877 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbetc View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks again for all the help. My brother and his family relocated to Huntersville last year. Their kids are about my kids' ages (7 and 9) but they're zoned for Hough HS and he says they aren't far from downtown.

When I first made this thread I was not all that happy about the move (I like Austin more than my husband does, but he's the breadwinner) and was grasping at any way to recapture what we have here. But as we talk more and think more, it's true that Austin for us has not been what it was cracked up to be. Our families are NC transplants (mine) and WV (his), and we're doing this more for our girls and to be near family...so I am OK with giving up some "hip" and "gritty" for that. I have a pretty creative, and portable, job that I've only been able to do as a side project here, but the COL in Charlotte would allow me to do it full time. It will also give me an opportunity to meet like-minded people (I'm the managing editor of a tiny but growing music magazine). I'm used to being somewhat "different" - the rockabilly scene is pretty small anywhere in the US except maybe Los Angeles.

Ramble ramble ramble. Long story short, to get a good education for my kids and the proximity to family, I'm willing to put up with a slightly longer drive and a more suburban life than I might have chosen otherwise. I still don't want TOO cookie cutter though.

I just booked a trip to visit my brother at the end of September, so I'm really looking forward to looking around.
Based on your amended requirements, I'd suggest that you also look west of Charlotte. Growth has been more natural & you'll find less cookie cutter.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:17 PM

45 posts, read 67,218 times
Oh - Davidson looks nice! And it's close to my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or