U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-13-2015, 10:57 PM
 
29,685 posts, read 27,113,966 times
Reputation: 18219

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That's not the way it works.
That's the way it's working in Atlanta. $200 million of the new Falcons stadium financing are to be covered by Atlanta’s hotel-motel taxes. Any other costs above and beyond those $200 million are legally obligated to be covered by Falcons owner Arthur Blank, the Atlanta Falcons, the National Football League, and private financing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-13-2015, 11:13 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Reputation: 8923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's the way it's working in Atlanta. $200 million of the new Falcons stadium financing are to be covered by Atlanta’s hotel-motel taxes. Any other costs above and beyond those $200 million are legally obligated to be covered by Falcons owner Arthur Blank, the Atlanta Falcons, the National Football League, and private financing.
Did you read the post that I responded to? Not one dime. That's not the way it works. If Jerry Richardson dropped dead next week & a new owner came in & said give me a new stadium & I'll stay. How many seconds would it take for Nikki Haley to start making a deal to build a stadium in Greenville if it hit the air that Clodfelder said not a dime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2015, 04:25 AM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,776,249 times
Reputation: 3413
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
I agree. As I said to local leaders has proven time and again to give the house away to pro teams
Virtually no public money went into the construction of the current stadium. That won't be the case next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2015, 04:54 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,717 posts, read 9,340,074 times
Reputation: 5228
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Did you read the post that I responded to? Not one dime. That's not the way it works. If Jerry Richardson dropped dead next week & a new owner came in & said give me a new stadium & I'll stay. How many seconds would it take for Nikki Haley to start making a deal to build a stadium in Greenville if it hit the air that Clodfelder said not a dime.
Greenville Panthers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2015, 08:24 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Reputation: 8923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Greenville Panthers
I'm just saying, in that situation, how many seconds would it take Nikki Haley to swoop in? It would either be Greenville or Ft Mill (think The Meadow Lands).

I'm sick of corporate welfare but if you don't play that game you lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2015, 09:33 AM
 
29,685 posts, read 27,113,966 times
Reputation: 18219
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Did you read the post that I responded to? Not one dime. That's not the way it works. If Jerry Richardson dropped dead next week & a new owner came in & said give me a new stadium & I'll stay. How many seconds would it take for Nikki Haley to start making a deal to build a stadium in Greenville if it hit the air that Clodfelder said not a dime.
Your statement made it sound like it never works that way (i.e., without taxpayer funding). I was simply pointing out that it sometimes actually does work that way.

As far as any SC governor making a bid to bring the Panthers south of the state line, I'm not too sure about that, especially in Clemson or USC territory. The Tigers and Gamecocks come first and foremost in SC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2015, 11:48 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,853 posts, read 27,128,289 times
Reputation: 8923
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Your statement made it sound like it never works that way (i.e., without taxpayer funding). I was simply pointing out that it sometimes actually does work that way.

As far as any SC governor making a bid to bring the Panthers south of the state line, I'm not too sure about that, especially in Clemson or USC territory. The Tigers and Gamecocks come first and foremost in SC.
Because of my proximity to areas covered by the Greenville/Spartanburg board I have checked out that board occasionally. I've noticed some animosity concerning the Panthers being in Charlotte. Really, for SC to steal the team, it would have to be Ft Mill or Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2015, 02:00 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,717 posts, read 9,340,074 times
Reputation: 5228
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Because of my proximity to areas covered by the Greenville/Spartanburg board I have checked out that board occasionally. I've noticed some animosity concerning the Panthers being in Charlotte. Really, for SC to steal the team, it would have to be Ft Mill or Greenville.
People in CHARLOTTE have animosity over the Panthers and some of them are fans of the team. LOL

I suppose it could work because you wouldn't have to change the name of the team but I'm not sure who we got here in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2015, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,717 posts, read 9,340,074 times
Reputation: 5228
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I couldn't disagree more, but I guess time will tell.
based on what? Public frustration on CD?

When has this city ever cared about what people want when it comes to stadiums? Everyone was said to hate the idea of Time Warner being in the middle of Uptown but there it is. Everyone on CD hated the idea of funding the stadium upgrades but they were funded. A lot of people on here weren't fans of rail from Uptown to CPCC but its running.

The thing about stadiums funding is it really doesn't matter what the public wants.. if the city wants it, they usually get it.

Also have to ask, do you live in Charlotte? Cause it sure seems like those who "doubt" things about Charlotte don't live or play in Uptown.

Go to a Panther game or go to Uptown after a concert at TWC and look at the money being spent in the city. The city is jam packed and businesses are making a nice chunk of change from these structures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-14-2015, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Huntersville
409 posts, read 988,067 times
Reputation: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's the way it's working in Atlanta. $200 million of the new Falcons stadium financing are to be covered by Atlanta’s hotel-motel taxes. Any other costs above and beyond those $200 million are legally obligated to be covered by Falcons owner Arthur Blank, the Atlanta Falcons, the National Football League, and private financing.
It sounds like $200 million is being paid by the public/taxpayers (those that pay the hotel-motel tax).

While it's easy to say that these are all out of towners, it's not that simple. For one, higher hotel taxes makes hotel rates in a city less competitive with others that don't have as high a tax, so that can impact things like he number of conventions, etc. held.

Additionally, there is only so much hotel/motel tax that can be raised (due to constraint such as above). Throwing most or all of available tax money into a football stadium means it's no longer available for other worthy projects that might use it could be a better use of the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:36 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top