Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-24-2015, 04:07 PM

6 posts, read 11,033 times

Advertisements

My husband and I will be moving to Charlotte later this year -- my husband has a job opportunity there, and we've both been wanting to move away from the NYC area (love the food, arts, and culture, hate the congestion and go-go-go lifestyle). We're super excited but could definitely use some guidance in terms of which neighborhood to live in since we're not very familiar with Charlotte yet!

Some info about us:
- We're in our late 20s... looking to start a family soon, but still enjoying the "no kids" lifestyle for now
- Want to rent for about a year before buying a house and starting a family -- focusing on rental right now
- Easy access to downtown Charlotte (or "uptown" as I've learned you guys call it!) is important since my husband's job requires him to visit clients wherever they might be
- Would like to be close (within walking distance, preferably) to cafes, shops, restaurants, bars, etc., since that is the part of city-living that we love
- Ideally want something in a safe area but with a diverse population
- Looking for a nice 2 bedroom/bathroom place (apartment, house, condo, doesn't matter) and would prefer to pay $1200-1400/mo or less... we pay a LOT more on rent currently though, and we'd be open to paying a little more (probably up to $1600/mo) if all the other factors line up and it seems like a good value

We visited Charlotte for a weekend in May when we started contemplating the move, and we really liked the vibe of the NoDa/Plaza Midwood areas, but I'm sure that what we experienced was only surface-level and would definitely be open to other advice/suggestions. We stayed at an Airbnb in the Elizabeth area and thought that was nice also, but it seemed pretty quiet and more suburban... more along the lines of what we figure we want down the road... but I could be wrong. We didn't really love the feel of the uptown area (we went to the Epicenter for about 3 minutes before quickly leaving :P), but I'm aware that things might differ between the "wards." Everyone we talked to while we were visiting pretty much advised us against anything west of Rt. 77. And that's pretty much everything we know about Charlotte-area neighborhoods!

Based on all of that, I would really appreciate any guidance or suggestions that anyone may have about which neighborhoods might be a good fit. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2015, 06:09 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,381,322 times
Southend is probably what you're looking for, but rents will will probably be too high. Same for Dilworth, NODA and Plaza Midwood. But look into those and see if you like them and can find something in your price range. Other neighborhoods to look into would be Madison Park/Park Road area or Southpark.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:12 PM

106 posts, read 148,858 times
Someone asked a question with very similar attributes. I def recommend reading my post in that thread!

NODA - thoughts?

Old 08-24-2015, 09:55 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,344,319 times
I'd say Madison Park area. Pretty good mix of being semi-suburban but still a good bar/restaurant scene and close to uptown, so it seems like it's kinda the transition between people fresh out of college living in uptown/Southend but before giving in and moving to the suburbs. I think you can get something at least close to your budget there.

Old 08-25-2015, 05:40 AM

777 posts, read 2,568,225 times
Dilworth/Elizabeth IMO is where you want to end up buying when you have kids. As GoPhils mentioned, the Madison Park area is cool, but for the most part is not pedestrian friendly. Lots of greats restaurants on the Montford nightlife area.

If you are renting for a year or two, if it were me it would be between Noda and Southend, depending on your "style". Southend is more traditional Millennials and Noda is more artists/hipsters. Even now that I am 40, we still make our way to Noda and Southend for an adults night out.

PS - Stay away from the Epicenter at all costs!! There are so many other awesome places in uptown, one should never head to the Epicenter unless you are just looking to hook up. Want a great place to go uptown for dinner and drinks? The Cellar at Duckworths. Phenomenal.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:16 PM

6 posts, read 11,033 times
All of this advice is great -- thanks so much!

Old 09-07-2015, 06:49 PM

137 posts, read 386,180 times
Dilworth, NODA and Plaza Midwood and don't forget Ballantyne!

Old 09-07-2015, 07:13 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini365i View Post
Dilworth, NODA and Plaza Midwood and don't forget Ballantyne!
One of those is not like the others....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte