U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 04:21 AM

3 posts, read 3,200 times

Advertisements

I am considering a move but schools are very important. When I compare Union Co. schools ratings with my district in Nassau County, those in Union Co. appear to be ranked much lower in almost all key areas. We are interested in Weddington and Waxhaw. Has anyone from LI moved to these two areas, from LI? If so, are the schools comparable to a good LI district? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2015, 05:53 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,000 times
Many many LIers in Weddington and Waxhaw happy with the schools. What districts are you comparing to Weddington and Cuthbertson to? What town do you live in?

Old 08-31-2015, 08:12 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,383,823 times
What source are you using as a ranking criteria? What key areas are you focusing on? If you want your kids to be around a higher percentage of those who have moved from New York, I think you will be happy with the options in Weddington and Waxhaw.

I would be wary of drawing conclusions based on a lot of the review sites. If you're thinking schools are a major criteria for your move to the Charlotte area - you should be happy with Union Co. options available.

Last edited by Essequamvideri; 08-31-2015 at 08:30 AM..

Old 08-31-2015, 01:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 552,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobayMom View Post
I am considering a move but schools are very important. When I compare Union Co. schools ratings with my district in Nassau County, those in Union Co. appear to be ranked much lower in almost all key areas. We are interested in Weddington and Waxhaw. Has anyone from LI moved to these two areas, from LI? If so, are the schools comparable to a good LI district? Thanks!
I see Marvin Ridge, Weddington and Cuthbertson schools rank at 9 or 10 on a 10 scale on the various school ranking websites....i dont know where you are getting the information from to show LI schools ranking much higher

Old 08-31-2015, 01:56 PM

I would keep the family in NY.

If you move here, your kids will end up acquiring awful southern accents after a few months and start drinking Cheerwine and wearing confederate flag shirts.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:51 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,369,792 times
The OP's name is "Tobay", which translates to Town of Oyster Bay. That could be anywhere from Seaford to Massapequa and north beyond districts like Syosset and Jericho and up to Laurel Hollow.

That's a wide range. Honestly, there's no comparison between Marvin Ridge/Weddington/Cuthbertson (the highest rated clusters in Union County) and high schools like Jericho or Syosset. Jericho and Syosset have astronomical ratings as two of the best high schools in the country, not to mention that they're public high schools. Syosset's superintendent of schools makes north of $250k/year and has a chauffeured ride to work. Then again, the property taxes in Syosset/Woodbury start at $25,000/year and only go up from there. And that's on a 3,000sq foot house on 1/4 acre. Reach out and touch your neighbor.

The best clusters in Union County probably compare more favorably with 'reality'. But if you tell us where on Long Island you're comparing, you can get a more specific answer.

Old 09-01-2015, 05:56 AM

3 posts, read 3,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
The OP's name is "Tobay", which translates to Town of Oyster Bay. That could be anywhere from Seaford to Massapequa and north beyond districts like Syosset and Jericho and up to Laurel Hollow.

That's a wide range. Honestly, there's no comparison between Marvin Ridge/Weddington/Cuthbertson (the highest rated clusters in Union County) and high schools like Jericho or Syosset. Jericho and Syosset have astronomical ratings as two of the best high schools in the country, not to mention that they're public high schools. Syosset's superintendent of schools makes north of $250k/year and has a chauffeured ride to work. Then again, the property taxes in Syosset/Woodbury start at $25,000/year and only go up from there. And that's on a 3,000sq foot house on 1/4 acre. Reach out and touch your neighbor.

The best clusters in Union County probably compare more favorably with 'reality'. But if you tell us where on Long Island you're comparing, you can get a more specific answer.
I knew someone would figure me out by Tobay!

I live in Syossset, but in a more modest section where the taxes start around $13k which is considered "cheap". My kids are not school aged yet, but we are in the Syosset school district. Housing costs are outrageous here....for $500-600k you get a 1960 ranch! Thanks!!!! I appreciate any advice.

Old 09-01-2015, 06:13 AM

Quote:

Actually, there are a lot of similarities here. All of the schools mentioned have great program offerings, including AP classes, low student to teacher ratios and high performing test scores. Performance is similar You have to be careful drawing conclusions from the "rankings" on sites like US News because a large portion of the score is related to % of students taking AP classes...not related to the actual performance of the student. They also don't factor in student body diversity. They do account for the performance of the "minority" group, but not the actual % diversity of the student body. An example of why this inflates Jericho's ranking is their large Asian population that is considered minority and performs very strongly on the AP tests used to measure minority performance.

I wish the income of the superintendent guaranteed a good school. It doesn't. Even if it was a factor, the schools in NC would be better. Charlotte Mecklenburg schools superintendent earned almost 300k/year and also had a chauffeured car (I assume they do this to be able to take advantage of car time for phone calls). Union county's superintendent earns about 200k per year.

A key similarity that may be what the OP wants to hear, is that none of these schools serve poor black students. The ones in NY are just as racially homogeneous (Syosset is 1% black, Jericho is 2%). Union county schools aren't very diverse either. This is a plus factor for many families moving to the suburbs.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:00 AM

5,783 posts, read 8,411,000 times
Quote:

I thought so, too on the town - but didn't want to assume the worst case scenario of Syosset or Jericho. OY. I'm honestly shocked you missed the Superintendent salary by so much... she makes FIVE HUNDRED k / year - yes 5-0-0 k. Supers for mediocre school districts make a piddly 250k. seethroughny.net

Purely on academics I would agree it's difficult to compete with the math and science out of Syosset and Jericho - they have the national award winners every year to prove it. But, MR has the IB program and all the athletic programs at MR/Wedd/Cuth will be far superior. I don't think the gap is that big for your average student. The competition academically in Syosset or Jericho will be incredibly tough... and needs to be an overall consideration. Good luck graduating your kid at the top of those classes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobayMom View Post
I knew someone would figure me out by Tobay!

I live in Syossset, but in a more modest section where the taxes start around $13k which is considered "cheap". My kids are not school aged yet, but we are in the Syosset school district. Housing costs are outrageous here....for $500-600k you get a 1960 ranch! Thanks!!!! I appreciate any advice.
Taxes are only going to get worse... to think you're paying her 500k+ would boil my blood. The fortunate side is that you're likely to do well selling any house zoned to Syosset schools. You're thinking about this at the right time.

Old 09-01-2015, 07:33 AM

343 posts, read 486,228 times
Syosset ranks #181 in the US News National High School Rankings for 2015 - excellent

Marvin Ridge ranks #358 in the US News National High School Rankings for 2015 - also excellent

Both received the Gold Medal. While Syosset is obviously a higher ranked school, I really don't think anyone is going to complain too much about the quality of education received at Marvin Ridge, Weddington, or Cuthbertson. You will benefit from lower taxes in NC also. Good luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or