U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 06:41 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,414,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Blasting horns at people is not only rude, it's against the law in many places. Horns are not on cars to annoy & bully people. They are there for emergency & notification purposes. I'm not going to floor it when the light turns green. I'm going to check both ways & if I see someone coming who isn't slowing down I'll wait. I'm not going to get hit to make you happy, & I'm not a native.
To bully, really, is this an elementary school playground? Next it will be using a horn is shaming somebody. He said press it, not lay on it. The fact is the overall vast majority of people who are not going at green lights are doing so not for safety reason but because they need to finish up their text or tweeting about their fabulous coffee. Pressing the horn is notifying them pick their head up and drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2015, 07:48 AM

21,877 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
To bully, really, is this an elementary school playground? Next it will be using a horn is shaming somebody. He said press it, not lay on it. The fact is the overall vast majority of people who are not going at green lights are doing so not for safety reason but because they need to finish up their text or tweeting about their fabulous coffee. Pressing the horn is notifying them pick their head up and drive.
Eh, spin it however you want to. When I am sitting there waiting to make sure that the cross traffic is going to stop & someone beeps then lays on the horn because I don't instantaneously obey, that's bullying in my book. That wasn't even mentioning the individuals who start with the horn before the light turns green.

Old 09-08-2015, 08:02 AM

2,829 posts, read 4,136,445 times
I promise you that an extra second at the stop light won't kill you. Relax people.

Maybe you should give yourself a little more time to get somewhere. That is what most of us 'natives' have done since all the transplants have moved here.

Or not. I really don't mind if you move back where you came from.

Old 08-16-2016, 02:58 PM

25 posts, read 24,636 times
[quote=Gemini365i;41119439]Oh please, by the time the light turns green, the drivers here are still thinking about it. Should I go? Should I Wait..Hmmm...I think it's ok to go! Everything here needs to be processed before being put into action.

"Ok, so I'm from Brooklyn NY..."
yeah, we don't care. Why is it that NYers have the need to tell you they're from NY right off the bat? Ever heard anyone start a conversation with "I'm from Provo, so..."

"It's the transplants that know how to drive and are aware of people around, front and behind."
Really? I'll take note of that the next time I'm wenching one of those "know how to drivers" out of a ditch in a NC ice storm.

"Frankly, cars were made with something called a HORN. People in NC/SC have never heard of it and don't know how/care to use it."
Oh we know how to use it, but it's so much more fun to watch the "know how to driver" behind you crap himself with rage.

"Like I said, the older locals are not ready for this to become the new NYC."
Oh darlin'... bless your heart and HOW NIIICE. How many NYers does it take to screw in a light bulb? One. Because all he has to do is hold the bulb while the world revolves around him.

"They're going to barricade themselves in and start ordering everything from the TV...LoL."
Is that why they offer take out and delivery EVERYTHING in your precious NY?

"That and there needs to be a law prohibiting people from using/talking on their cell phone while driving in NC!"
Actually, there is a law prohibiting it, but, like most laws, it's not really enforceable, so it's about as useful as **** on a turtle.

"These people drive slower then anything and don't care who needs to get somewhere - like WORK! Charlotte NC has no hustle. Hustling/Bustling & Multi-tasking means $$$."
We're so sorry that we didn't get the memo that someone as important as you arrived in our fair city. I'll be sure to distribute the memo to the 799,999 other folks who live here that we have a brand new VIP from NY here and he is to be given special treatment at all times and in all places. (p.s. what time should we send someone with the Charmin to wipe his highness?)

"That's why on my days off, I do it right back to em! I get out there and I drive 25-30 and it's A-OK! That's life in the slow city. But then I wake up and realize that I'm only hurting myself. Because again - NC drivers don't care that you're moving slow. They ARE SLOW people. It's normal here. LoL. I've even slowed down since moving here 4 years ago. (I can't believe I just said that)."
Glad to hear it. Maybe once you slow down long enough to think you can give a little thought to how you come across to everyone. Invest some of that slow time in a self help book, or better still, go join an anger management group to cope with your misplaced rage.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:23 AM

11,722 posts, read 9,345,072 times
if someone is driving faster than you please move to the right lane. Nothing worse than someone trying to regulate other people's speed which causes more accidents IMO.

it's annoying but I have no problem getting over if I see a car zooming behind me.

but honking at red lights the second they turn green.. those people need their hands cut off.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:00 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,384,237 times
It's the law to move over now. Not sure how many people will change their behavior due to it, but it's a start.

Proposed law aims to improve traffic flow on North Carolina highways

Old 08-17-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
It's the law to move over now. Not sure how many people will change their behavior due to it, but it's a start.

Proposed law aims to improve traffic flow on North Carolina highways
That was a proposed law, it never got voted on. There is no legal regulation to move over if you are following the speed limit, except for emergency vehicles. Common courtesy, yes, legally required,no.

North Carolina General Assembly - Senate Bill 634 Information/History (2015-2016 Session)

Old 08-17-2016, 10:47 AM

Quote:
That was a proposed law, it never got voted on. There is no legal regulation to move over if you are following the speed limit, except for emergency vehicles. Common courtesy, yes, legally required,no.

North Carolina General Assembly - Senate Bill 634 Information/History (2015-2016 Session)
Good catch. Can you receive a ticket for driving failing to move out of the left lane? It seems so:

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...GS_20-146.html

In North Carolina, travel on a multi-lane roadway is governed by N.C.G.S. 20-146(b):

Upon all highways any vehicle proceeding at less than the legal maximum speed limit shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for thru traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the highway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn.

A violation of this law is an infraction pursuant to N.C.G.S. 20-176 (a) and if convicted, North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicle would assess 2 drivers license points pursuant to N.C.G.S. 20-16 (c), or 3drivers license points if the violation occurred during the operation of a commercial motor vehicle.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Good catch. Can you receive a ticket for driving failing to move out of the left lane? It seems so:

http://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegislat...GS_20-146.html

In North Carolina, travel on a multi-lane roadway is governed by N.C.G.S. 20-146(b):

Upon all highways any vehicle proceeding at less than the legal maximum speed limit shall be driven in the right-hand lane then available for thru traffic, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the highway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn.

A violation of this law is an infraction pursuant to N.C.G.S. 20-176 (a) and if convicted, North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicle would assess 2 drivers license points pursuant to N.C.G.S. 20-16 (c), or 3drivers license points if the violation occurred during the operation of a commercial motor vehicle.
Only if the highlighted part applies, and can be proven to have been going below the posted speed limit. As long as you go the speed limit, legally you cannot be forced out of the left lane.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Only if the highlighted part applies, and can be proven to have been going below the posted speed limit. As long as you go the speed limit, legally you cannot be forced out of the left lane.
Right. And anyone traveling slower can I guess.

Anyone that doesn't merge out of the left lane to allow faster vehicles to pass is a jerk. Right up there with those that order specific temperature on their hamburgers at McDonalds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte