Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 10:39 AM

11,839 posts, read 28,947,412 times

Advertisements

I'm from the Northeast too. I watched the speed limits in Massachusetts get lowered and lowered and lowered till 25mph seems to be the highest speed allowed in most towns. I travel 485 & 77 daily and traffic on 485 seems to have no idea that the speed limit was raised from 65 to 70mph. Most of the time I go 75-80mph on 485.

77 in the afternoons is more of a crapshoot. I watch cars attempt to gain a hundred feet by weaving in and out of traffic, but for the most part traffic is so heavy that weaving really gets you nowhere. The cops have stepped up patrols along both highways but like another poster has commented, if you're doing up to 10mph over the speed limit you aren't worth bothering about. When I drive home on 77 at night The average speed is 65-75mph. There are people that fly along at 90-100mph but they aren't the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 06:27 PM

547 posts, read 773,930 times
I set the cruise control at the speed limit and most of the time I never have to change lanes. Very relaxing.

Old 09-02-2015, 08:27 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,067,270 times
Do people that drive too fast think they are saving time by doing so?

Idiots.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:18 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post

Idiots.
I guess in their state of mind they do. It's all good and dandy till you get that one cop/sheriff that's not playing on a phone to pull em over.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:45 AM

227 posts, read 392,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post

Idiots.
It depends on what you consider to be 'too fast', and what traffic conditions you're talking about. If you're going north on 77 after work, there's not much opportunity to save any time. You just have to deal with the traffic, and switching lanes won't do much.

When I drive to NY and back though, I make the trip over an hour faster than my dad does. I don't tailgate or weave in and out of traffic, but I do go about 10 over the limit in the left lane. The only times I change lanes are if someone is coming up behind me, much faster than I'm going, or if I catch up to a car that's at-or-below the limit in the left lane. In that case, I pass on the right when I have a chance.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:53 AM

1,985 posts, read 2,067,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unthought_known View Post
It depends on what you consider to be 'too fast', and what traffic conditions you're talking about. If you're going north on 77 after work, there's not much opportunity to save any time. You just have to deal with the traffic, and switching lanes won't do much.

When I drive to NY and back though, I make the trip over an hour faster than my dad does. I don't tailgate or weave in and out of traffic, but I do go about 10 over the limit in the left lane. The only times I change lanes are if someone is coming up behind me, much faster than I'm going, or if I catch up to a car that's at-or-below the limit in the left lane. In that case, I pass on the right when I have a chance.

Duration is the factor that's helping you, not conditions. The OP was talking about in town driving. If you're driving an hour or 2 or less, speeding isn't saving you significant time. The best way to get someplace earlier is to leave earlier.

Does Speeding Really Get You There Any Faster?

Also, in your NY example, your dad is likely stopping for more pee breaks. Should probably have his prostate checked out.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:58 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,655 times
And yet the same "southern" drivers run red lights 10 seconds after they turn red. But god forbid they hit the gas pedal when it turns green. Its real easy folks. Look left, look right, go. Takes all of a second.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:59 PM

137 posts, read 386,049 times
Oh please, by the time the light turns green, the drivers here are still thinking about it. Should I go? Should I Wait..Hmmm...I think it's ok to go! Everything here needs to be processed before being put into action.

Ok, so I'm from Brooklyn NY. It's the transplants that know how to drive and are aware of people around, front and behind.
Frankly, cars were made with something called a HORN. People in NC/SC have never heard of it and don't know how/care to use it. If a driver is not moving when supposed to, PRESS IT! They will get the hint. Like I said, the older locals are not ready for this to become the new NYC. They're going to barricade themselves in and start ordering everything from the TV...LoL.
Also the NC/SC locals have never heard of the left lane rule. The passing lane. They don't care.
That and there needs to be a law prohibiting people from using/talking on their cell phone while driving in NC! These people drive slower then anything and don't care who needs to get somewhere - like WORK! Charlotte NC has no hustle. Hustling/Bustling & Multi-tasking means $$$.

That's why on my days off, I do it right back to em! I get out there and I drive 25-30 and it's A-OK! That's life in the slow city. But then I wake up and realize that I'm only hurting myself. Because again - NC drivers don't care that you're moving slow. They ARE SLOW people. It's normal here. LoL. I've even slowed down since moving here 4 years ago. (I can't believe I just said that).

Last edited by Gemini365i; 09-07-2015 at 10:23 PM..

Old 09-07-2015, 10:11 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,497,324 times
Man, really? Charlotte is the largest city in NC and the largest for hundreds of miles, until Atlanta or DC. It's going to have the big city in a rush vibe. The driving style you described however, reminds me exactly of the driver in Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Fayetteville, Greensboro, Little Rock Arkansas, Oklahoma City, Memphis Tennessee, Nashville, New Jersey, etc. In other words, it's a city thing. Not unique to Charlotte or any other major city.

Old 09-08-2015, 12:36 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemini365i View Post
Oh please, by the time the light turns green, the drivers here are still thinking about it. Should I go? Should I Wait..Hmmm...I think it's ok to go! Everything here needs to be processed before being put into action.

Ok, so I'm from Brooklyn NY. It's the transplants that know how to drive and are aware of people around, front and behind.
Frankly, cars were made with something called a HORN. People in NC/SC have never heard of it and don't know how/care to use it. If a driver is not moving when supposed to, PRESS IT! They will get the hint. Like I said, the older locals are not ready for this to become the new NYC. They're going to barricade themselves in and start ordering everything from the TV...LoL.
Also the NC/SC locals have never heard of the left lane rule. The passing lane. They don't care.
That and there needs to be a law prohibiting people from using/talking on their cell phone while driving in NC! These people drive slower then anything and don't care who needs to get somewhere - like WORK! Charlotte NC has no hustle. Hustling/Bustling & Multi-tasking means $$$.

That's why on my days off, I do it right back to em! I get out there and I drive 25-30 and it's A-OK! That's life in the slow city. But then I wake up and realize that I'm only hurting myself. Because again - NC drivers don't care that you're moving slow. They ARE SLOW people. It's normal here. LoL. I've even slowed down since moving here 4 years ago. (I can't believe I just said that).
Blasting horns at people is not only rude, it's against the law in many places. Horns are not on cars to annoy & bully people. They are there for emergency & notification purposes. I'm not going to floor it when the light turns green. I'm going to check both ways & if I see someone coming who isn't slowing down I'll wait. I'm not going to get hit to make you happy, & I'm not a native.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte