U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 08:10 AM

23,851 posts, read 19,802,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 618719 View Post
You're paying a monthly payment to an organization that tells your neighbors what they can and cannot do with their property.

Not that I'm a big fan, but to a lot of people, the frustration and expense is worth it.
Is this tongue in cheek? An attempt at humor? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 08:15 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,384,237 times
Aero Guy -

Have you ever had a neighbor that won't mow their lawn? Not talking a few weeks. Talking years. Do you think the city can manage this? There are good HOA's and bad ones. There are also neighborhoods that prefer not to have them.

I understand not wanting to be able to do what you want on your property. However when that activity/or inactivity negatively impacts your neighbors, I think HOA's provide a great service.

I don't have one, but I understand their value.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Aero Guy -

Have you ever had a neighbor that won't mow their lawn? Not talking a few weeks. Talking years. Do you think the city can manage this? There are good HOA's and bad ones. There are also neighborhoods that prefer not to have them.

I understand not wanting to be able to do what you want on your property. However when that activity/or inactivity negatively impacts your neighbors, I think HOA's provide a great service.

I don't have one, but I understand their value.
I recently built a sizeable shed/building on my property. Not even for a millisecond would I consider it reasonable to submit my building plans to some other entity for review and approval. When I think of people who need an HOA to resolve their concerns, I think of people who are perpetually-aggrieved and/or need a crutch for which to lean and complain about every little thing.

I say **** that. Ya'll can waste your money on the idea that someone **may* not mow their yard. That's ludicrous beyond ludicrous as far as I am concerned.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:44 AM

http://www.bohol.ph/img/devera/IMG_0...lybuilding.jpg

Here's your size-able shed.

I agree with you that neighbors should try to work out issues on their own. I can also see the value of having explicit standards and consequences for those that don't agree.

The beauty of it all is that people that want HOA's can take advantage of the structure they provide and people that don't want HOAs can live in areas without them! What a country!

Just because someone has different values from you doesn't make them "ludicrous" or "perpetually-aggrieved" whiners. It's not a right/wrong thing as much as preference. The key is buying in a community that likely shares similar values. Share the love man. Getting outraged about people that like HOAs is a level of hate I can't understand. For somebody set on freedom you should drink your own kool-aid and let them live in the neighborhood they want to.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
http://www.bohol.ph/img/devera/IMG_0...lybuilding.jpg

Here's your size-able shed.

I agree with you that neighbors should try to work out issues on their own. I can also see the value of having explicit standards and consequences for those that don't agree.

The beauty of it all is that people that want HOA's can take advantage of the structure they provide and people that don't want HOAs can live in areas without them! What a country!

Just because someone has different values from you doesn't make them "ludicrous" or "perpetually-aggrieved" whiners. It's not a right/wrong thing as much as preference. The key is buying in a community that likely shares similar values. Share the love man. Getting outraged about people that like HOAs is a level of hate I can't understand. For somebody set on freedom you should drink your own kool-aid and let them live in the neighborhood they want to.
Why are you getting all twisted up? I am not outraged. Outrage, to me, is having someone dictate what I can and cannot do on my own property. Further, I have never asserted, implied, or otherwise stated that people should not be able to "live in the neighborhood they want to." So, please, do not put words in my mouth.

Also, since you don't live in an HOA, one can only surmise that you don't actually know what it means to have that one "HOA Nazi" walking around nosing for problems to cite. So, if that's the case, how can you even remotely imply that there aren't whiners in many of these neighborhoods?

Old 09-03-2015, 09:29 AM

You have asserted, implied, and otherwise stated that HOAs have no purpose and are a waste of money. My point is that some people disagree with you and find them valuable. Both of you can be right. It all depends what you want.

I've lived in both neighborhoods with HOAs and those without. Our HOA wasn't enforced very well. I can see how one person constantly patrolling would be annoying if you were out of compliance or if they were especially picky. If I was paying for an HOA I would want it to be enforced within reason. All the reason for the rules to be as detailed and explicit as possible.

Old 09-03-2015, 02:10 PM

367 posts, read 558,023 times
I'm with Essequ-whatever-your-name-is.

No one wants to be pestered by HOA nazis who freak out over a trashcan being out a day too long.

But I sure don't want to have a neighbor who thinks it's OK to have a Ford Pinto on blocks in their front yard with weeds growing through it.

Old 09-05-2015, 06:41 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,640,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Why are you getting all twisted up? I am not outraged. Outrage, to me, is having someone dictate what I can and cannot do on my own property. Further, I have never asserted, implied, or otherwise stated that people should not be able to "live in the neighborhood they want to." So, please, do not put words in my mouth.

Also, since you don't live in an HOA, one can only surmise that you don't actually know what it means to have that one "HOA Nazi" walking around nosing for problems to cite. So, if that's the case, how can you even remotely imply that there aren't whiners in many of these neighborhoods?
I live in an HOA neighborhood and understand that some people do not like to be told "what to do" with their property, I get that.

However, since living in both types, I appreciate living in an HOA neighborhood.

different strokes for different folks. Do you respect that?

Old 09-06-2015, 05:57 AM

165 posts, read 284,943 times
I have lived in both.

Love the HOA. My neighbors cant put couches on their porches, build unsightly buildings in their back yard. Have to take care of their yards, cant park cars in their yards, cant erect a 60ft flagpole and fly a confederate flag and scream "merica", cant park trailers and boats in the front yard. Trash cans left at the end of the driveway, Cant have big giant work vans with "Earls Plumbing" painted on the side. the list goes on.

the only HOA's to watch out for are in Condos and Townhomes. They usually have the highest restrictions.

For your screened in porch, the way HOA's will consider if they are "conforming" to the area. That means does it look like it belongs. Make sure it looks as it was built along with the house. Look around for other homes in the area that have them, ask to take pictures. Use google earth to search.

And sometimes even if the HOA has it in writing and says you cant, there are some workarounds that you can like solar panels on your roof. Our HOA says it in plain black and white that you cannot have solar panels at all. With the government pushing "green" power HOA's cant say no. The only thing they can dictate is you cant have the solar panels on poles in your yard.

Good luck

Old 09-09-2015, 07:30 AM

32 posts, read 29,534 times
I found this city-data site a while ago, and have used the forum a lot to learn about Charlotte before we move, but I have noticed that many of the threads veer off track after about a page or two of on-topic posts and then things just get argumentative between posters disagreeing with other posters perspectives. That's unfortunate. Thanks for the on-topic responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or