U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2015, 06:57 PM

3,680 posts, read 1,399,862 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Charlotte for most of my life and love the area. I have just recently graduated and took a job in Columbia. I am engaged and my fiancée has a job in Charlotte. I am trying to figure out what to do. I make 43K and my fiancée makes 24K a year. Anyone know anybody that commutes from Charlotte to Columbia. Also, what’s the most common commute? Any advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 07:04 PM

110 posts, read 121,451 times
That could vary widely based upon addresses in both locations. I know from where I live in Fort Mill (near Carowinds), it is about an hour and fifteen minutes to downtown Columbia. I'm assuming you've made the drive before correct? It's a straight shot down 77.

You could try living somewhere midway between the two depending upon exact locations of course.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:11 PM

8,774 posts, read 5,606,850 times
I know people who have done it daily... And I myself have done that commute weekly.

I certainly wouldn't do it daily - weekly is bad enough. If you are coming from any congested part of Charlotte, you are looking at about 3 hours (on good days) taken out of each and every workday.

9 hours at work (including lunch) plus another 3 on the highway plus 8 asleep leaves you a whole 4 hours a day to live your life. THAT is not a life.

If you absolutely have to have jobs in those two cities, find or build a house near Great falls and each of you commute an hour and a half a day.

Old 09-03-2015, 07:40 PM

1,117 posts, read 2,452,580 times
If she's making $24,000 in Charlotte she can find a job in Columbia making the same.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:20 PM

2,603 posts, read 4,269,878 times
With what you're making, you'll be spending 1/3 of your take home pay commuting (you're looking at $1000 a month including wear and tear, maintenance etc) not to mention the time involved. I would see if your fiancée can find similar work in Columbia.

Old 09-04-2015, 12:00 AM

1,168 posts, read 2,202,731 times
I would move to Columbia on that salary and I'm sure at 24k that can be easily found in Columbia

Old 09-04-2015, 05:59 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,528,222 times
The commute might be doable from Blythewood, South Carolina , but definitely not Charlotte. Like other posters said, you will be spending TONS of $$$ on gas, maintenance, etc....

You will need an oil change every month, lol

Old 09-04-2015, 06:24 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
Where is the job in Charlotte (or Columbia for that matter)? If the jobs are in South Charlotte and northern Columbia, that could be much more doable than North Charlotte and southern Columbia. Are they both 5 days a week or is working from home at all a possibility?

Assuming downtown for both locations, I'd probably suggest Rock Hill if you really do love the Charlotte area (if not, I'd probably listen to the other suggestions of moving to Columbia and having your fiancee look for a new job). From the area near Rock Hill high school for example, you'd probably be looking at about an hour each way (30-35 miles to Charlotte, 70 miles to Columbia). Although that's assuming some traffic to Charlotte (I'd say an hour is a fair estimate from there) and not really any traffic to Columbia - so if there is that one could be longer.

Rock Hill at least keeps you in the Charlotte metro area so you're still not far from other activities in Charlotte especially outside of rush hour, and there is more in Rock Hill itself than anywhere else between the two cities. The earlier suggestions of Blythewood and Great Falls would be too long of a commute to Charlotte IMO.

Old 09-04-2015, 06:55 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,383,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpretori View Post
I have been living in Charlotte for most of my life and love the area. I have just recently graduated and took a job in Columbia. I am engaged and my fiancée has a job in Charlotte. I am trying to figure out what to do. I make 43K and my fiancée makes 24K a year. Anyone know anybody that commutes from Charlotte to Columbia. Also, what’s the most common commute? Any advice is appreciated.

I would really try to encourage you to move to Columbia OR find a job here instead. Research has shown that having a stressful commute can really impact your quality of life. I can imagine you've made the drive a few times sporadically and have said 'well that wasn't so bad' after arriving. But I can tell you that the daily routine of it is much different than that. You are talking about driving way further than necessary for a job that isn't paying you enough. If we were talking about 100k per year I may still give the same advice. If you want to live in Charlotte, I would find a job here. What field are you in?

The poster suggesting your fiancee find another job in Columbia are spot on as well, but I feel like they shortchanged your interest in staying in Charlotte. I can only assume that since you posted this question that you must want to stay here too.

Think it through. The good thing is that if you are renting, you can be flexible and try it out for a bit to see how it works. You may think the advice on here is wrong and make it happen. Good luck!

Old 09-04-2015, 07:17 AM

3,739 posts, read 3,262,267 times
Move. I love Charlotte and have zero desire to be in Columbia but at least you're closer to the beach, Charleston, you're close to Charlotte still. that commute would just be too too terrible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte