U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 09:06 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,394,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
As you can see, the state overall is trending nicely down in violent crime over those 6 years while Charlotte is headed in the wrong direction since 2010. So now we have Charlotte as an outlier to a larger dataset, over a significant period of time and I'm sure we'll still hear about how it's still better than it was 20 years ago.

Or you can go back 10 years and it's the same story.

I'm not sure how many different ways to prove to you that context matters. My central point in all of this isn't that the data is clearly supporting 1 particular opinion. My point has consistently been that bastardizing facts and misrepresenting the truth with incomplete data or biased sensationalism is the true culprit of false perceptions.

Look at the thread again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 01:52 AM

45,179 posts, read 17,936,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Or you can go back 10 years and it's the same story.

I'm not sure how many different ways to prove to you that context matters. My central point in all of this isn't that the data is clearly supporting 1 particular opinion. My point has consistently been that bastardizing facts and misrepresenting the truth with incomplete data or biased sensationalism is the true culprit of false perceptions.

Look at the thread again.
If you think crime is better & good in Charlotte because of 10 year trends, then start at topic on it. It's got nothing to do with this topic especially since you have said it more than once.

To the friends and family who died this weekend, as well as those who were killed and shot over this past year, your attempt to gloss over it as "getting better" will fall on deaf ears. The problem is bad enough to where the CMPD is now directing resources to the ever increasing gun violence that is happening now. Clearly they see it an issue and don't care about stats from decades ago.

Old 09-23-2015, 04:25 AM

3,467 posts, read 3,151,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If you think crime is better & good in Charlotte because of 10 year trends, then start at topic on it. It's got nothing to do with this topic especially since you have said it more than once.

To the friends and family who died this weekend, as well as those who were killed and shot over this past year, your attempt to gloss over it as "getting better" will fall on deaf ears. The problem is bad enough to where the CMPD is now directing resources to the ever increasing gun violence that is happening now. Clearly they see it an issue and don't care about stats from decades ago.
After last weekend, you should be advocating for gun control versus the focus on gang-related gun violence. Suicide and a domestic murder-suicide. The data doesn't support your and others claims about a huge uptick in murder. Again, one is to many but the trend doesn't exist no matter how much fear mongering you can attempt to inject on a city info forum.

The headlines have already disappeared and changed course after an atypical weekend a few weeks ago....

If there persists a series of weekends like the anomaly a few weeks ago, then CMPD should reassess and adapt accordingly. But an uptick that correlates with pop growth and is less than peer cities of similar demographics isn't going to cause the LEO community, community at large or sensible people change their opinion of crime in Charlotte.

Old 09-23-2015, 08:58 AM

From the start of this thread, my interest has not been about downplaying violence or crime, it's been about making people back up their statements and considering context. READ THE THREAD!

The OP involved 5 murders. Posters started chiming in with all kinds of crazy claims about crime not being reported, misquoting the number of murders, misrepresenting them as all gang related, misrepresenting them as from the same neighborhoods (they were spread all over Charlotte). Some posts claim more people were shot. Some said the news was not reporting violence (hahaha- ultimate irony). Some posts have said that crime issues are the victims/neighborhoods fault for not speaking with police. Some have suggested that allowing poor neighborhoods to suffer with violence is a solution.

Only until I started looking into some of these generalizations and challenging them did you have a problem with them. You seemed to be fine just making unrelated claims to the OP. Be honest, you don't care about the OP. You care about confirming your jacked up opinion about crime in Charlotte. If I hadn't taken the time to start looking into whether or not these statements were true, you all would have just carried on complaining about something that wasn't true!

BTW - you can be right about crime increasing in Charlotte this year. I'm not denying that. What I deny is what it means and what the we should consider as a solution.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
After last weekend, you should be advocating for gun control versus the focus on gang-related gun violence.
This topic isn't about me.

Furthermore, I've said nothing about either in this topic. If you think I have, then please point out which post where I said something about gangs or gun control.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
This is the real problem. You hit the nail on the head.
This post was related to gang and drug violence.

Old 09-23-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
This post was related to gang and drug violence.
Of course it is. That is what the topic is about since those murdered over Labor Day weekend have been deemed gang murders by the CMPD. I still said nothing about it.

It is clear that you are not here to discuss said topic, since you and others who wish to make light of this kind of crime and post distraction after distraction like this, that have nothing to do with the rising violence in Charlotte. You demonstrate it yet again.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:13 AM

This is great. So you said you never mentioned gang violence, then you say ok well yeah I did, that's what it is.

What gangs were they in? MS-13? Bloods? Kings? The chief described the shootings as "gang-like" behavior. When asked to clarify, he said, "it was stupid stuff". He also lamented on the lack of the information coming from key witnesses. The press bit onto that really quickly since it's a great headline. Really creates some imagery.

The department later said they are not national gangs. Then they became "local street gangs". These aren't to be taken lightly - but I'm not sure we should call this anything more than stupid. I imagine local street gangs are just as liable of robbery/violence as any other. I think the shootings are terribly tragic and very stupid. A 7 year old boy dying between the crossfire of some idiots is awful.

All that said, I don't think it's indicative of out of control gang violence because no one has shown the increase yet. If you have that information, where is it? The news certainly will call it out of control gang violence. I want to see some real data.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:19 AM

3,467 posts, read 3,151,107 times
Quote:
Of course it is. That is what the topic is about since those murdered over Labor Day weekend have been deemed gang murders by the CMPD. I still said nothing about it.

It is clear that you are not here to discuss said topic, since you and others who wish to make light of this kind of crime and post distraction after distraction like this, that have nothing to do with the rising violence in Charlotte. You demonstrate it yet again.
But you posted this (without context) to re-ignite the thread:

3 more were shot dead in Charlotte this weekend.

According to Channel 9, there have been more homicides in Charlotte this year than all of 2014, and there are more than 3 months left in this year.

Killed from a murder-suicide via domestic violence, there isn't anything in the CMPD handbook on how to address these types of murders other than some form of gun control (which is probably useless in this gun-infested society). Nor does it add to the gang violence tally with what you seem to infer.

Any type of gun violence that leaves people dead is horrible but what do you think CMPD can do to curb domestic related deaths?

Twist it to fit some agenda but leave the facts for other folks to sort out because in the end, that's what matters, not fear mongering.

Old 09-23-2015, 11:29 AM

What about the hiker that committed suicide at Crowders mountain? Pushed off by local street gang I bet.

In a city this big, there is enough awful tragedy each day to keep totally absorbed by it if you want. Some doctors encourage cutting off the local news for this reason. It's demoralizing if you lose perspective. You would think you're living in a warzone and you can't trust anyone if you can't see the forest for the trees.

Sure, it's awful. But you're not helping anything by inflating the fear out of perspective. Context matters! Posting one bad story each time it happens isn't enough!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or