U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 05:20 PM

44,352 posts, read 17,707,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
This is great. So you said you never mentioned gang violence, then you say ok well yeah I did, that's what it is. .
Nope. I never mentioned it.

Furthermore as I told the other party, the topic isn't about me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
But you posted this (without context) to re-ignite the thread:

3 more were shot dead in Charlotte this weekend.

According to Channel 9, there have been more homicides in Charlotte this year than all of 2014, and there are more than 3 months left in this year.
  • Both bold statements are absolutely true facts. If you got "ignited" I suggest a cold shower.
As for the rest of your points, you should go to this topic.

The Laughable Myth that a Gun Cannot Protect You

Old 09-23-2015, 07:41 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,611,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
What about the hiker that committed suicide at Crowders mountain? Pushed off by local street gang I bet.
Maybe it was one of these 20 people CMPD rounded up today?

So these are groups of people doing gang like activities/crimes but CMPD won't refer to them as gangs. Makes sense. No need to get the public even more up in arms by accurately describing what's going on.

Fortunately CMPD doesn't read this thread to sit back and feel good about how great things are despite the downward trend over the last 5 years. I can just see them sitting back and high-fiving each other saying, "Man, remember 1997, we totally kicked violent crimes arse! Who cares about today or that it's getting worse YoY, look at the 90's man!!!".

I'm glad you feel like crime isn't a growing problem in Charlotte, nothing wrong with having that opinion.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:14 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,132,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
  • Both bold statements are absolutely true facts. If you got "ignited" I suggest a cold shower.
As for the rest of your points, you should go to this topic.

The Laughable Myth that a Gun Cannot Protect You
Where did I say a gun could not protect you? It might, but in most cases it ends up killing someone they know or themselves, especially people who have no desire to commit crimes against other people.

You should stay on topic and take a dose of reality. Your stats don't fit your agenda and attempting to lump in domestic violence deaths with gang related violence is off base. There isn't anything CMPD can do about neighbors or people in general that have decided that they're going to kill themselves, a spouse, relative, or gun down people in malls, theatres, etc. Not police but policies might make a difference.

Old 09-24-2015, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Maybe it was one of these 20 people CMPD rounded up today?

So these are groups of people doing gang like activities/crimes but CMPD won't refer to them as gangs. Makes sense. No need to get the public even more up in arms by accurately describing what's going on.

Fortunately CMPD doesn't read this thread to sit back and feel good about how great things are despite the downward trend over the last 5 years. I can just see them sitting back and high-fiving each other saying, "Man, remember 1997, we totally kicked violent crimes arse! Who cares about today or that it's getting worse YoY, look at the 90's man!!!".

I'm glad you feel like crime isn't a growing problem in Charlotte, nothing wrong with having that opinion.
So CMPD has decided to their job then refrain from calling them gangs but gang-like. This is corporate re-labeling or rebranding to basically take credit for what the hell they do (or supposed to be doing) anyway. No, gangs are gangs and local criminals or groups of local criminals are just that, local criminals.

I guess anything to put the community's mind at ease and a good thing, a special "task force" to round up local criminals they typically round up daily/weekly without the fanfare.

Old 09-24-2015, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post

You should stay on topic and take a dose of reality. Your stats don't fit your agenda....
Pontificating about someone's "agenda" isn't staying on topic. If you are going to use the R-word, then just say it because this is basically the only thing you have said in this topic.

It will save all a bunch of time.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:05 AM

The CMPD has arrested 20 people in regards to some of the shootings over a 3 month period. They also confiscated 11 guns from this group. Youngest arrested is 17.

CMPD arrests 20 under violent crime charges - Story | WJZY

Mugshots

Mugshots

Old 09-24-2015, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Pontificating about someone's "agenda" isn't staying on topic. If you are going to use the R-word, then just say it because this is basically the only thing you have said in this topic.

It will save all a bunch of time.
Everyone has an agenda, just yours isn't valid based on all the stats previously posted. Time and verbage saved.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:58 AM

Quote:
The CMPD has arrested 20 people in regards to some of the shootings over a 3 month period. They also confiscated 11 guns from this group. Youngest arrested is 17.

CMPD arrests 20 under violent crime charges - Story | WJZY

Mugshots

Mugshots
No agenda, huh? Surely these images are the first thing that comes to mind when you mention word criminal, gangs, thugs, etc....so why not reinforce it. Lol, you should be more afraid of a relative or neighbor...stats say those are the most likely to kill or rob you. But with CMPD doing their "job" to get these thugs off the street makes you sleep a little better at night, kudos to them. But they (CMPD) and the stats know your neighbor, spouse, relative, etc is more likely to rob/kill most people, especially those that live in "good" neighborhoods.

This is an image that should scare the hell out of you....start off so sweet and innocent with that All American appeal:

Then end up like this:

or this:

Old 09-24-2015, 12:46 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,611,328 times
I have to assume the pic above is why CPI only uses white people anymore to illustrate break-ins? haha

White people are very capable of doing messed up stuff, pretty sure no one would argue that!

But again, I don't care if it's black/white causing the crime to trend negatively over the last 5 years despite the state trend overall being a positive trend down, I'm just interested in knowing what our elected officials and police leadership plan to do to control it. It's an issue anyone in Charlotte, white, black, hispanic, etc., should be concerned with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or