U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-24-2015, 01:20 PM
 
3,454 posts, read 3,137,961 times
Reputation: 3411

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
I have to assume the pic above is why CPI only uses white people anymore to illustrate break-ins? haha

White people are very capable of doing messed up stuff, pretty sure no one would argue that!

But again, I don't care if it's black/white causing the crime to trend negatively over the last 5 years despite the state trend overall being a positive trend down, I'm just interested in knowing what our elected officials and police leadership plan to do to control it. It's an issue anyone in Charlotte, white, black, hispanic, etc., should be concerned with.

Actually, they do more "messed up stuff" and have better access to counsel but that's another thread. If it were a significant trend, then sure but it isn't and not out of step with other metros with similar demographics. Trust, if it were that "bad", the community at large would be up in arms. Remember Charlotte is a pretty family friendly laid back old southern city (town) at the core.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-24-2015, 05:49 PM
 
44,480 posts, read 17,762,937 times
Reputation: 18703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
No agenda, huh?
Nope. And.....

I really have no idea what you are talking about nor what a picture of Ron Howard when he was a kid has to do with the topic. I'm not familiar with the other photos but I suspect you were trying to put forth some sort of irrelevant message.

My post of the Thugs arrested by the CMPD is directly from a TV News site, presented without any commentary on my part. Please take it up with them if it riles you up.

IMO, you do seem to have a big chip on your shoulder. You should try to move past it. Bad for the health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,144 posts, read 2,614,907 times
Reputation: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Actually, they do more "messed up stuff" and have better access to counsel but that's another thread. If it were a significant trend, then sure but it isn't and not out of step with other metros with similar demographics. Trust, if it were that "bad", the community at large would be up in arms. Remember Charlotte is a pretty family friendly laid back old southern city (town) at the core.
Based on Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed, Charlotte is worse than NC as a whole in every crime statistic (nearly 2x worse in violent crime) and worse than the National Median as well. Their "Crime Index" rating for Charlotte is a 12, in other words, Charlotte is safer than 12% of cities.

I'm not particularly impressed or excited that our trend is negative for 5 years.

I do agree at the core the city is a good, family friendly place.

Last edited by Yac; 09-25-2015 at 06:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2015, 07:10 PM
 
1,985 posts, read 1,386,830 times
Reputation: 1407
Statistics can be misleading. You're right that those are pretty depressing. With a city so dangerous you'd think I would have been robbed or murdered already.


Oh hey, look at Charlotte. The 6th safest large city in the country.

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2014

Oh hey, checkout this list of safest cities in the state.

50 Safest Cities in North Carolina - SafeWise

Wonder where all these people work and spend a lot of their day?

7. Stallings
11. Matthews
12. Huntersville
13. Mint Hill
21. Waxhaw
23. Mount Holly
29. Mooresville

also - Davidson is usually #1 but wasn't included since they don't have 5k people.

OR this one:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...-c-safest.html


You can emphasize what you want to. I would agree with you that I want our police and community to work hard to stomp crime in the arse, but the describe the issue as out of control is irresponsible and ignorant. The site you listed was misleading based on the population selected to represent Charlotte.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2015, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,144 posts, read 2,614,907 times
Reputation: 1665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Statistics can be misleading. You're right that those are pretty depressing. With a city so dangerous you'd think I would have been robbed or murdered already.


Oh hey, look at Charlotte. The 6th safest large city in the country.

Safest and Most Dangerous U.S. Cities, 2014

Oh hey, checkout this list of safest cities in the state.

50 Safest Cities in North Carolina - SafeWise

Wonder where all these people work and spend a lot of their day?

7. Stallings
11. Matthews
12. Huntersville
13. Mint Hill
21. Waxhaw
23. Mount Holly
29. Mooresville


also - Davidson is usually #1 but wasn't included since they don't have 5k people.

OR this one:

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte...-c-safest.html


You can emphasize what you want to. I would agree with you that I want our police and community to work hard to stomp crime in the arse, but the describe the issue as out of control is irresponsible and ignorant. The site you listed was misleading based on the population selected to represent Charlotte.
Not surprising that Charlotte was not in the top 50 safest cities in NC although other large areas such as Raleigh did make the top 50 while cities nearby to Raleigh such as Cary also made the list. Not really sure your point of calling our suburbs of Charlotte as being safe and included on the list versus the city of Charlotte. We aren't debating crime in Mooresville or Waxhaw I don't believe?

I didn't say crime in Charlotte was "out of control", you can take your rhetoric elsewhere.

Simple question: Do you see that over the last 5 years violent crime is on the increase in Charlotte? (based on the numbers you provided)

Also, at what point would YOU be concerned? Do we need to have an increase for 10 years, 15 years, 20 years before you think of it as an issue that finally outweighs the fact we're better than we were in the 90's and should be addressed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2015, 09:26 AM
 
1,985 posts, read 1,386,830 times
Reputation: 1407
Yes.

Year - Violent Crimes
2008 - 7069
2009 - 5624
2010 - 4884
2011 - 4784
2012 - 5238
2013 - 5094
2014 - 5103

I also see that they are down up if you look at 6 years. If you take 7 years they are way down as the violent crimes count was over 7k. I also see that there are dips and spikes in the 5 year period you are focusing on.

I am concerned. No one is condoning crime. I'm just advocating for context and reminding you that statistics can be misleading. If I wanted to, I could also find a list that shows Charlotte is one of the most dangerous cities in America. The type of crimes included, population size, weighting of crimes, time period, all matter. I'm asking you and others to consider all facts instead of just the ones that sensationalize the general lamentations expressed at the start of the thread. If you agree that crime isn't out of control. Great, I agree. If you think the police need to keep focusing on doing a better job. Great, I agree. I'm not sure how posting one-off stories of violence is helpful though.

If you think the story of 5 murders in a weekend is proof that 1) cities are in urban decay due to crime 2) certain neighborhoods are the sole cause of violence by not cooperating with police 3) gang violence in Charlotte is a significantly escalating problem 4) dependency on the government causes these headlines 5) the communities are somehow separate from what you view as Charlotte (us vs. them):

then that's where I am asking for more facts and clarification. There are other ignorant posts on the thread too, but these are the ones that are most blatant.

Last edited by Essequamvideri; 09-25-2015 at 09:34 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2015, 09:48 AM
 
3,454 posts, read 3,137,961 times
Reputation: 3411
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nope. And.....

I really have no idea what you are talking about nor what a picture of Ron Howard when he was a kid has to do with the topic. I'm not familiar with the other photos but I suspect you were trying to put forth some sort of irrelevant message.

My post of the Thugs arrested by the CMPD is directly from a TV News site, presented without any commentary on my part. Please take it up with them if it riles you up.

IMO, you do seem to have a big chip on your shoulder. You should try to move past it. Bad for the health.
No, good health and mind, just sticking with facts and data which seem to escape your world of nonsense and fear of "those" people. As I stated, the people you should fear as those that look like Opie Taylor (friends, family, neighbors, etc) that grow into monsters...most likely to kill or rob you, not a Black guy, fact. I think should try to move past who is the real danger in your world and who isn't. Again, if it puts your little mind at ease then so be it, but as I stated, CMPD can easily inform you as to who is the real danger or most likely to harm you....it ain't Black "thugs" or gangs.

Last edited by Big Aristotle; 09-25-2015 at 09:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2015, 11:18 AM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,353,324 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
No, good health and mind, just sticking with facts and data which seem to escape your world of nonsense and fear of "those" people. As I stated, the people you should fear as those that look like Opie Taylor (friends, family, neighbors, etc) that grow into monsters...most likely to kill or rob you, not a Black guy, fact. I think should try to move past who is the real danger in your world and who isn't. Again, if it puts your little mind at ease then so be it, but as I stated, CMPD can easily inform you as to who is the real danger or most likely to harm you....it ain't Black "thugs" or gangs.
well, the majority of people in Charlotte are out enjoying themselves so it's a good thing.

You would think Charlotte is losing people by the way some posters are talking.

Waldokitty has been screaming about Charlotte going downhill for years. He also has a nice track record of saying rude things about Black people in other forums on here so take it with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2015, 11:30 AM
 
44,480 posts, read 17,762,937 times
Reputation: 18703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
No, good health and mind, just sticking with facts and data which seem to escape your world of nonsense and fear of "those" people.
Accusations of nonsense and fear are not facts and data. As I said earlier. Just use the R-word and be done with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Waldokitty has been screaming about Charlotte going downhill for years. He also has a nice track record of saying rude things about Black people in other forums on here so take it with a grain of salt.
Nope. And the proof is in the pudding. I've posted several positive topics here recently. Here is one from earlier in the week as proof. That lady had a log of nice things to say about the city.


On the other hand, people being murdered in Charlotte. Well there is nothing positive about that and nothing wrong with pointing that out. You two want to make excuses for the Thugs only because they are Black, then that is your concern. But here's a hint, this isn't the way to do it if you want to be convincing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-25-2015, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Charlotte NC
11,723 posts, read 9,353,324 times
Reputation: 5231
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Accusations of nonsense and fear are not facts and data. As I said earlier. Just use the R-word and be done with it.
Nope. And the proof is in the pudding. I've posted several positive topics here recently. Here is one from earlier in the week as proof. That lady had a log of nice things to say about the city.


On the other hand, people being murdered in Charlotte. Well there is nothing positive about that and nothing wrong with pointing that out. You two want to make excuses for the Thugs only because they are Black, then that is your concern. But here's a hint, this isn't the way to do it if you want to be convincing.
but they aren't all Black...

which proves our point

you keep saying Charlotte murder = black thugs and that isn't the case.

Murder is bad regardless of skin color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:15 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top