Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 12:25 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I'm not an apologist. I think the issue is the pseudo-segregation of the school systems and people wanting to ignore the East and West sides. It's not surprising to me a suppressed, struggling neighborhood who people think are just lazy and want handouts leads to this sort of problems in the city. People love to point about the problems but have zero solutions go back it up.

If you think Trumpism comments like "where's black lives matter at" then deal with what's going on. This is decades of failed social policy. No matter how brutal the police crack down, there is nothing the police can do. There is no way for the police to control this. We need to get tough on tackling the issues of the struggling communities and the first way to do that in my opinion is to fix the inequality of the schools.

Some people are raped. Some grow up with abusive fathers. Some bullied for being gay. Some grow up in poverty. There are consequences to not giving the proper resources to the struggling neighborhoods. And to just assume that they must be lazy, want hand outs and we should build a wall around them is ignoring the cause of what drives this violence and poverty.

I don't think it takes "courage" to respond to a comment on citydata. But I'm sick of Trumpist expecting me to take their logic seriously when they offer zero solutions rather than just complain

And no, I'm not black and no, I don't really care about racism. No, I will never March with black lives matter and I just don't really care who dislikes who. But even so, it's clear to me what's really going on.
If it's gangs, which the police seem to think it is, the only fix is to convince kids that the gangs aren't the answer, first. Read that link that I posted a while back about Falaka Fattah. What she did, years ago, is the blueprint to breakup gangs & their stranglehold on kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 12:50 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
If it's gangs, which the police seem to think it is, the only fix is to convince kids that the gangs aren't the answer, first. Read that link that I posted a while back about Falaka Fattah. What she did, years ago, is the blueprint to breakup gangs & their stranglehold on kids.
http://6abc.com/news/philadelphia-vi...e-rise/927865/

Philly has 192 murders and 692 people have been killed as of July 2015.

While it may have worked in West Philly years ago gang violence is on the rise in the city of brotherly love.

Different areas require different strategies.... all are welcome but it isn't as easy as reading a link, copying their blueprint and getting the same results.

Old 09-13-2015, 12:58 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
The Charlotte Observer had a story on there last night, still might be, around the improvement in the Hidden Valley area of Charlotte with previous gang problems. If you know gangs in Charlotte you know the Hidden Valley Kings and that mess so it's interesting to see how a judge stepped in and tried something different and it's working.

While I agree the judicial system and the police can't fix it all they definitely need to be a part of the process of cleaning up the growing gang problem in Charlotte.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:40 PM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
.... all are welcome but it isn't as easy as reading a link, copying their blueprint and getting the same results.
Do you only post here to defend and make excuses for the criminals?

17 shootings in 1 week, 6 dead including a 7 year old child is should not be considered normal as much as you would like to make it out to be.

Old 09-13-2015, 10:06 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

17 shootings in 1 week, 6 dead including a 7 year old child is should not be considered normal as much as you would like to make it out to be.

But we also shouldn't act like Chicken Little throwing around demagoguery. This is what happens when we act retroactively instead of proactively...

The police can only do so much. They can't be everywhere all the time stopping crime. The police needs help from the citizens and the community and we need to give the community tools they need to succeed. Not slashing school budgets to get rid of Drivers Education and teaching assistants and other vital programs.

So what is your solution to solve this problem?

Old 09-14-2015, 02:01 AM

428 posts, read 831,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
You are stuck on the surface, look deeper and ask yourself why in some communities is violence the first answer instead of the absolute last?
Gun violence is a cultural issue largely. The populations with the most legal guns are the most likely to murder folks. Its folks like me to be honest, young Black males. Fix that issue and you're murder rates will decrease significantly in most cities.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

your reading comprehension skills are horrible. Not sure how you read that post and came to this conclusion.

Old 09-14-2015, 05:03 AM

Quote:
But we also shouldn't act like Chicken Little throwing around demagoguery. This is what happens when we act retroactively instead of proactively...

The police can only do so much. They can't be everywhere all the time stopping crime. The police needs help from the citizens and the community and we need to give the community tools they need to succeed. Not slashing school budgets to get rid of Drivers Education and teaching assistants and other vital programs.

the solution is to call them thugs and scream Charlotte is doomed.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:45 AM

Quote:

I'm glad that you do agree there is a problem. Unfortunately the true solutions to the issue go well beyond what would be allowed in the CLT forum and furthermore, people don't want to have the conversation anyway. The previous post is evidence enough of this.

But here's a hint. Government can't solve the issues. The best it can do is to stop enabling it.

BTW, you are absolutely correct about the police. It's not an issue of policing. Their job is to protect from the criminal activity, not solve why it happens.

Old 09-14-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
your reading comprehension skills are horrible. Not sure how you read that post and came to this conclusion.
Because you haven't added anything to the topic beyond passive aggressive responses to anyone who is calling out the criminals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte