U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 01:03 PM

8 posts, read 7,087 times

Advertisements

We're planning on moving to the Charlotte area next year. The Lake Norman area is on of the areas we're considering. My husband flies relatively often, so we need to be somewhat close to the airport. How terrible is the drive from Davidson/Cornelius to the airport?

In case anyone wants to give alternative suggestions, we need good schools (we have three boys 3,5,7), maybe a decent special education program (we're still in the diagnosis process), a convenient location to grocery stores etc, safe neighborhood, and the budget is 250k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2015, 03:09 PM

3,411 posts, read 3,199,755 times
It will depend on the time of day.

I responded in your other thread on neighborhoods you should look in for budget. They are all close to the Meck line but in Cabarrus County. My BIL flies frequently for both his job and for recreation and he doesn't have an issue getting to the airport from our neighborhood (he lives in the same neighborhood). The last time he went to the airport him and his wife used Uber.

One of the special education teachers for our school lives in our neighborhood. She is one of the nicest people. You might want to call the school and ask whatever questions you may have.

Old 09-13-2015, 03:25 PM

156 posts, read 145,766 times
From I-77 Exit 28 (including a few mins to get onto the highway), you're looking at about half an hour with no traffic and up to an hour during the worst parts of friday afternoon rush hour to get to the airport. I-77 can be a near standstill from I-485 to Mooresville at all times of day, and especially during rush hour.

There aren't any good alternative routes unless you're far enough east to take I-85 (pretty far away from the Lake) or decide to go pretty far south/west into Huntersville, which gets you into some not as good schools.

Traffic can be pretty frustrating in this area, not going to sugar coat it. I-77 gets screwed up all the time (every single day) and not just during rush hour. Both directions get clogged during rush hour. But, its because its a very desirable area that a lot of people want to live in.

Schools are good in Cornelius and Davidson.

Your budget is doable, depending on what you're looking for.

There are grocery stores everywhere, unless you live really far out east, you're going to have at least one, probably 3, within a mile or two of you. Theres Harris Teeter, Publix, Target, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, and Food Lion.

Old 09-14-2015, 01:35 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,705,030 times
Don't think you can get a whole lot for $250K in Davidson. Agree with what 618719 said re: Cornelius to the airport. You'd have some more options in your price range in Mooresville but will be looking at about 40 minutes minimum to the airport. Same with Huntersville but as 618719 also said some are not as happy with some of the schools there - but traffic on I-77 is considerably better if you are at exit 23 and below.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:53 PM

21,881 posts, read 27,145,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnipsSnailsAndTails View Post
We're planning on moving to the Charlotte area next year. The Lake Norman area is on of the areas we're considering. My husband flies relatively often, so we need to be somewhat close to the airport. How terrible is the drive from Davidson/Cornelius to the airport?

In case anyone wants to give alternative suggestions, we need good schools (we have three boys 3,5,7), maybe a decent special education program (we're still in the diagnosis process), a convenient location to grocery stores etc, safe neighborhood, and the budget is 250k.
I'd suggest that you contact Holy Angels. They are overkill for your needs but they could surely tell you where the best programs for your needs would be located. http://www.holyangelsnc.org/programs...cial-programs/

Traffic is best coming towards Charlotte from the west. The airport is on the west side of Charlotte. You might want to look west of Charlotte.

Old 09-14-2015, 07:01 PM

6 posts, read 4,664 times
My drive from Mooresville to the airport is about 40 minutes outside of rush hour and maybe a little over an hour during peak times. I definitely would not want to commute from Mooresville to uptown every day. If you can work your flight schedule around rush hour it shouldn't be a big deal.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:17 AM

170 posts, read 197,268 times
I go to the airport several times per month from Cornelius and it usually takes me 25-30 minutes. It's never taken more than 45 even with traffic.

The tricky part is I-77 from Cornelius up until you pass the Huntersville (Gilead Rd) exit. For some reason people can't seem to figure out how to merge into traffic without disrupting the flow so it all ends up backing up even during off-peak times. Once you get past that point there's never any traffic. I take 485 because it's maybe 1 mile longer than taking I-85 but the speed limit is higher and there's never any traffic.

Old 09-15-2015, 08:21 AM

3,750 posts, read 3,267,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyMoving View Post
I go to the airport several times per month from Cornelius and it usually takes me 25-30 minutes. It's never taken more than 45 even with traffic.

The tricky part is I-77 from Cornelius up until you pass the Huntersville (Gilead Rd) exit. For some reason people can't seem to figure out how to merge into traffic without disrupting the flow so it all ends up backing up even during off-peak times. Once you get past that point there's never any traffic. I take 485 because it's maybe 1 mile longer than taking I-85 but the speed limit is higher and there's never any traffic.

This. The closer to 485 you are, the much faster your commute will be.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:33 PM

409 posts, read 988,377 times
I live in Huntersville and it's almost always 20-25 minutes max.

Old 09-23-2015, 12:21 AM

132 posts, read 96,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfort Food View Post
I live in Huntersville and it's almost always 20-25 minutes max.
That is making me feel better. I live really close the the Gilead Rd exit and it is taking me 15-20 minutes to get to and from work each day. Everyone at my office is amazed and keep telling me how bad the commute is supposed to be.

I moved here from Tulsa, where my commute was about 25 minutes if nothing went wrong and could easily be 45 minutes if there was an accident or traffic was horrible. So the 15-20 minutes it has been taking me each day is no issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or