U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-16-2015, 01:02 PM
 
810 posts, read 1,126,411 times
Reputation: 683

Advertisements

I've been against the toll lanes from the beginning but reading this really brings to light what a bad idea this is and the fact that these lanes will be of no benefit to almost everyone except those few that stand to make money from it. I think these lanes are just another example of corrupt politicians at work.

I would love to hear a legitimate argument why these are a good idea as opposed to general purpose lanes and why 85 now has multiple landing strips and those of us that travel 77 have to deal with this mess.

10 things you don't know about the toll lanes planned for I-77 north - Charlotte Agenda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-16-2015, 01:25 PM
 
Location: Washington DC
3,787 posts, read 3,297,504 times
Reputation: 2666
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
I've been against the toll lanes from the beginning but reading this really brings to light what a bad idea this is and the fact that these lanes will be of no benefit to almost everyone except those few that stand to make money from it. I think these lanes are just another example of corrupt politicians at work.

I would love to hear a legitimate argument why these are a good idea as opposed to general purpose lanes and why 85 now has multiple landing strips and those of us that travel 77 have to deal with this mess.

10 things you don't know about the toll lanes planned for I-77 north - Charlotte Agenda



Because NC can't afford to build the toll lanes fast enough. That's why it's a "good" idea. At least, that's the theory behind it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2015, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,807,131 times
Reputation: 3417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Because NC can't afford to build the toll lanes fast enough. That's why it's a "good" idea. At least, that's the theory behind it
Don't you mean can't afford to build non-toll lanes fast enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2015, 02:13 PM
 
2,103 posts, read 3,583,787 times
Reputation: 2061
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Don't you mean can't afford to build non-toll lanes fast enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2015, 04:57 PM
 
157 posts, read 146,951 times
Reputation: 182
Nobody thinks they're a good idea.

That is, aside from those in the government and developers who are going to make money off of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2015, 07:51 PM
 
Location: Mooresville, NC
2,149 posts, read 2,622,487 times
Reputation: 1670
Quote:
Originally Posted by 618719 View Post
Nobody thinks they're a good idea.

That is, aside from those in the government and developers who are going to make money off of it.
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2015, 07:58 PM
 
151 posts, read 229,739 times
Reputation: 146
We had toll roads in Buffalo NY. I had to pay a toll to drive from suburban Buffalo to the city. It was ridiculous and I think it really hurt Buffalo. I live in Fort Mill but agree the 77 tolls are a huge mistake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2015, 09:04 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,966 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Reputation: 9004
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
I've been against the toll lanes from the beginning but reading this really brings to light what a bad idea this is and the fact that these lanes will be of no benefit to almost everyone except those few that stand to make money from it. I think these lanes are just another example of corrupt politicians at work.

I would love to hear a legitimate argument why these are a good idea as opposed to general purpose lanes and why 85 now has multiple landing strips and those of us that travel 77 have to deal with this mess.

10 things you don't know about the toll lanes planned for I-77 north - Charlotte Agenda
The idea sucks to everyone except the few who will profit from it. I read somewhere that Tillis stands to make a tidy sum from some land he owns at one of the exits. If that's true I hope something is done about it.

I wonder if it would have helped for people to have screamed like banshees like people did in Gaston County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2015, 09:19 PM
 
810 posts, read 1,126,411 times
Reputation: 683
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
The idea sucks to everyone except the few who will profit from it. I read somewhere that Tillis stands to make a tidy sum from some land he owns at one of the exits. If that's true I hope something is done about it.

I wonder if it would have helped for people to have screamed like banshees like people did in Gaston County.
People are screaming like banshees. The activist croup Widen I77 or whatever it's called even has a lawsuit against the state. Also the last I read, Mooresville, Cornelius, Davidson, and Huntersville have now expressed they are opposed to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2015, 09:40 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,966 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Reputation: 9004
Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
People are screaming like banshees. The activist croup Widen I77 or whatever it's called even has a lawsuit against the state. Also the last I read, Mooresville, Cornelius, Davidson, and Huntersville have now expressed they are opposed to it.
The difference is that the people in Gaston started screaming right out of the gate. People in the towns around 77 tried to maintain decorum too long. The toll lanes got rammed through.

Also, it helped the people in Gaston that they found out early on that 2 politicians had bought up land on the weird meandering route that they proposed & stood to make a killing. That fired the people up quickly.

The Garden Parkway isn't 100% dead yet, but close to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top