Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 09:41 PM
odu

40 posts, read 117,129 times

Advertisements

I understand what your feeling. I'm originally from Charlotte and moved away to NE Ohio a little over 2 years ago. I moved away for a much better job opportunity with much better pay. The job market in Charlotte sucks and the pay isn't that great. I miss Charlotte and "home" dearly, but because of the lack of jobs in my field, I doubt I'll move back, although I'd love to. I hate NE Ohio, so I'm just trying to move somewhere south.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2008, 05:36 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,408,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fp1978 View Post
Anyway, I am looking for a way to go back by finding a job that won't drive me totally insane but of course I haven't heard a single response.
fp1978: I'm sure someone's gonna call me a downer or something like that , but here's a question for you: Let's just say you do land a job in Charlotte. Of course you'd want to take it to land yourself back here, and nobody could blame you. What happens if, in a year or so, the department you started working for downsizes or outsources and you're the one on the short end. Are you ready to risk being back in this same spot again down here?

That's one thing I always see being overlooked on here. There's been numerous threads here with people screaming how difficult it is to find a job. Yet people keep plugging away, going through the rats maze just to land an interview, without any thought that they might be back in that same spot again, this time with even more people vying for those same positions.

But best of luck to ya. I always want to see people head home if they can.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:33 AM

716 posts, read 2,158,891 times
I feel your pain, fp. I'm not a Charlotte native, but I lived here for 8 years. Then a better job opportunity moved me to Sterling, VA. We lived there for not quite two years and we HATED it. The traffic, the rude people, the INSANE drivers, the cost of everything. We made no friends the whole time because people have such ridiculous commutes, they have no time to make friends AND accomplish anything else with their lives.

Needless to say we moved back to Charlotte in October!

I hope if you're really that unhappy and you do what we did: give it a real shot at happiness. But if you decide that you won't be happy again until you come back, don't be afraid to do so! Good luck!

Old 02-04-2008, 06:54 AM

18 posts, read 49,705 times
Default I love charlotte too

I just moved here a couple months ago and I (and my wife) decide to stay here for the rest of our life. Charlotte is just lovely.

We understand that there are a lot of bad things especially in downtown area but we couldn't find a better place. We enjoy big city life but hate places like NY or DC. Here it is just the right. Not to mention the weather and the people.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:28 AM

355 posts, read 993,013 times
Default herndon va

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet* View Post
I feel your pain, fp. I'm not a Charlotte native, but I lived here for 8 years. Then a better job opportunity moved me to Sterling, VA. We lived there for not quite two years and we HATED it. The traffic, the rude people, the INSANE drivers, the cost of everything. We made no friends the whole time because people have such ridiculous commutes, they have no time to make friends AND accomplish anything else with their lives.

Needless to say we moved back to Charlotte in October!

I hope if you're really that unhappy and you do what we did: give it a real shot at happiness. But if you decide that you won't be happy again until you come back, don't be afraid to do so! Good luck!
I feel your pain, I live in herndon and moving to huntersville in feb!

Old 02-09-2008, 06:21 PM

654 posts, read 1,210,843 times
It's not that I hate it in NoVA. I actually like it. Could do with a little shorter commute though, but that's not such a big deal. And I do agree with what someone said a few posts up, there is always the chance that you could get laid off and lose your job and be right back where you started from: spending months looking for a job in a city where the job market sucks. It's a shame. I hope that one day I can go back, but I don't expect too unless alot of things change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte