U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2015, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,134 times

Advertisements

I was on I-85 headed back to Charlotte, when I was pulled over going 80mph in a 60. I was completely guilty of it and apologized to the police officer.
I read that anything above 15mph is a class 3 misdemeanor, is this correct?
If so, what should I do, I haven't had a speeding ticket in about 5 years. I am summoned to court at the end of October. Should I hire an attorney? Or can I just go in and represent myself? I just want to make a smart decision on how to approach this matter.
The police officer said something along the lines of "because of your driving record they will probablay reduce it."
Should I be proactive and do some type of driving class (the defensive driving class that the state offers) or something? Any suggestions?

Last edited by mrrobins1890; 09-19-2015 at 12:12 PM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 07:53 PM

489 posts, read 729,500 times
You'll start getting plenty of mail from attorneys soon. Just pick one and pay them. They'll get it reduced possibly and it won't affect your insurance. And stop speeding.

Old 09-19-2015, 09:09 PM

21,966 posts, read 27,247,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrobins1890 View Post
I was on I-85 headed back to Charlotte, when I was pulled over going 80mph in a 60. I was completely guilty of it and apologized to the police officer.
I read that anything above 15mph is a class 3 misdemeanor, is this correct?
If so, what should I do, I haven't had a speeding ticket in about 5 years. I am summoned to court at the end of October. Should I hire an attorney? Or can I just go in and represent myself? I just want to make a smart decision on how to approach this matter.
The police officer said something along the lines of "because of your driving record they will probablay reduce it."
Should I be proactive and do some type of driving class (the defensive driving class that the state offers) or something? Any suggestions?
Get a lawyer.

For future reference, don't speed from the time you cross the state line. There are several locations where the Cleveland County sheriff deputies park & wait. Kings Mountain PD sometimes hangs around exit 8. After exit 10 you have Gaston County deputies. After exit 13 you have the Gastonia PD.

If they aren't sitting there on a given time that you go past don't assume that they won't be there the next time.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:44 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,558,499 times
Get a good attorney and preferably find one who used to be in the DA office. They will hopefully be able to get you switched to improper equipment.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,900 times
Default got caught

i got caught too, 16mph over limit. I'm not the wealthest person, how much is a lawyers fee these days and what type of fines should i expect to pay? So stupid the way i got caught. Its going to bother me for years.

Young Mama

Old 09-27-2015, 05:47 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,807,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby mama View Post
i got caught too, 16mph over limit. I'm not the wealthest person, how much is a lawyers fee these days and what type of fines should i expect to pay? So stupid the way i got caught. Its going to bother me for years.

Young Mama
$400 to $500 total.

Old 09-27-2015, 06:50 PM

489 posts, read 729,500 times
I payed less than 200 for a lawyer for my last ticket. Wife just said she thinks $125 was the total.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or