U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 06:45 AM

5 posts, read 4,366 times

Advertisements

Charlotte does have a reliable public transportation system, but as others pointed out- none of the upscale neighborhoods are near the public transportation system. You must have a car.

If you want safe, upscale, and diversified neighborhoods, you can go to Ballantyne or somewhere in the south. Waxhaw is safe and upscale too, but not diversified. Probably the most well-known luxury neighborhoods in the south are Ballantyne Country Club, Providence Country Club, Firethorne, and Providence Downs.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 06:48 AM

67 posts, read 91,808 times
Thank you to everyone that replied to my message.
I'm looking for a community college for my son. He wants to study culinary art.

Driving is not my strong suit. lol. I can and do drive but I'm a nervous driver. The road is not for me. I have anxiety attacks when I see a bridge even if I'm not the driver.

I was born and raised in Suffolk, VA - public transport was bad back in the '70's. It has not improved.
Philly has excellent PT but I am sick of PA and Philly . . . truly!
MD is expensive. I work for the federal government. It seems like It's my best choice as far as PT is concerned.
I prefer to move south; I'm not an up north person. I took me 35 years to learn that. lol
I also lived in Trenton for over 10 years . . . (East and North). Trenton is going down hill rapidly.

Everyone have a wonderful day and thank you so much for your invaluable input

Old 10-05-2015, 02:42 PM

1,764 posts, read 2,737,610 times
CPCC has an excellent culinary program, but your son may have to establish residency for one year in order to get in-state tuition rates. This would be true at any state's community colleges.

https://www.cpcc.edu/hospitality-edu.../culinary-arts

There is a free trolley from Charlotte's central bus terminal to CPCC, so really anywhere a CATS bus goes in Charlotte can easily access CPCC.

Old 10-06-2015, 05:29 AM

159 posts, read 116,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violamr View Post
My questions about Charlotte:
*Does it have a reliable public transportation system?
If my son goes to college there I need him to be able to get around.
I dislike driving . . . I prefer PT.

*What are some really great Charlotte neighborhoods?
My primary concern is public transportation and safe, upscale, diversified neighborhoods.
This is the biggest reason I am not a fan of living in Charlotte. It ranks very low on the walkabilty score. I have lived in other cities that were rated high before. When I was moving back here, before the housing crash, I thought Charlotte was on its way to be a walkable city; It did not get there. Charlotte is a very car dependent city. It sounds like it's not the city for you. Maybe in 2030 when the light rail system is completed it would be more what your looking for.
We are still in our search for the city that fits us because Charlotte does not fit our lifestyle either. It fits some, I'm just saying it does not fit us and this is one of the big ones is having to drive everywhere. The other big one, which plays a roll in why it is car dependent, is the type of housing developments. They just keep building car dependent developments with garage homes instead of walkable areas/towns with-in the city.
If you find what your looking for shoot me a message, it may be our place too.

Old 10-06-2015, 07:36 PM

830 posts, read 1,314,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahh Life View Post
This is the biggest reason I am not a fan of living in Charlotte. It ranks very low on the walkabilty score. I have lived in other cities that were rated high before. When I was moving back here, before the housing crash, I thought Charlotte was on its way to be a walkable city; It did not get there. Charlotte is a very car dependent city. It sounds like it's not the city for you. Maybe in 2030 when the light rail system is completed it would be more what your looking for.
We are still in our search for the city that fits us because Charlotte does not fit our lifestyle either. It fits some, I'm just saying it does not fit us and this is one of the big ones is having to drive everywhere. The other big one, which plays a roll in why it is car dependent, is the type of housing developments. They just keep building car dependent developments with garage homes instead of walkable areas/towns with-in the city.
Where in Charlotte do you live?
Charlotte is certainly not as walkable as very urban/dense cities like NY, DC, Chicago, SF...but there are definitely pockets that are, but also lots of suburban tracts.

Old 10-07-2015, 02:17 PM

29,693 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahh Life View Post
I'm not sure how you could say either of these things when Charlotte just opened its streetcar line, light rail is undergoing expansion, and several key streets have become "complete streets"--meaning it's well on the way towards becoming a more walkable city--and there's a big housing boom along the light rail line in South End in particular, and more residential construction in Uptown and surrounding walkable neighborhoods. Certainly it has a long way to go towards being extensively walkable all-around, but it is making huge strides in that department.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:05 PM

2 posts, read 610 times
Thinking about moving to CLT( Huntersville or Ballantyne). I am originally from Camden NJ but currently live in MD. How is the diversity? Schools? Cost of living?

Old 04-29-2017, 10:14 AM

29,693 posts, read 27,123,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b1wu View Post
Thinking about moving to CLT( Huntersville or Ballantyne). I am originally from Camden NJ but currently live in MD. How is the diversity? Schools? Cost of living?
Why are you thinking about moving to Charlotte when it seems you know little about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte