U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 03:24 PM

3 posts, read 5,245 times

Advertisements

Hey there, I'm a new user and
I plan on moving to Charlotte in 2017 from south Miami and I've recently found manufactured homes in Idlewild South below my budget but I can't find much information on the neighborhood as I like. I've read on other threads that East Charlotte has it's pockets of "good" areas and its "bad" but nothing specific on Idlewild. I also looked at crime rates but I know every neighborhood has its crime, being from Miami I understand how good areas can be right next to bad areas. I looked at the Quality of Life studies and its seems that Idlewild South has gone south on that, going from a "stable" to "transitioning" place. Just wanting to know what locals know about that area and if they have any suggestions on other neighborhoods. I know that South Charlotte is considered to most "safe" but seems too expensive for my budget of under $200k for a home. I'll be relocating for my job that would be on Randolph Road right next to Cotswold. Any information will be gladly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 07:42 AM

569 posts, read 1,219,691 times
Welcome, I would avoid Idewild like the plague. This area has been on the decline for 20+ years, I grew up over there when it use to be a much better side of town. For 200K or under I might suggest Sheffield or Eastway Park. These areas are close in to Randolph on the east side. At least in these parts they are close to downtown and you stand a chance of rising property values. The back end of Charlotte Country Club (country club heights) over near Eastway also might fit your budget, while these areas are transitioning they are on the rise in my opinion.

Merry Oaks might be possible for that price, it would put you in a smaller house though.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:27 AM

Thank you for the insight, the price of the home I looked at seemed too good to be true so looking at other areas is the next step for me. Will definitely be looking at the neighborhoods you suggested, thanks!

Old 09-22-2015, 09:19 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,377,946 times
Considering your job, I would encourage you to look south of Monroe road near Cotswold - the neighborhood of Oakhurst is going to transition just as well as the one Native called out and this commute is 5 minutes vs. 10 from the Country Club area. You can still find some homes in your budget. Mature trees. Safe neighborhood that is going to really boom in the next 10 years if infill continues to progress. Another potential upside of that area is the mass transit that may develop down Monroe road. If it does happen, I think that area will benefit.

I second Native 1's thoughts on Merry Oaks and the backside of Charlotte Country club and would say the area between Eastway, Shamrock and the Country Club has some good deals in an area that is surely transitioning for the better. But if you're 100% working for a while in that location it's worth it to look closer IMO.

Old 09-22-2015, 03:30 PM

Thanks for the advice, will take it while visiting Charlotte in January

Old 09-28-2015, 06:45 PM

81 posts, read 121,753 times
I live in East Charlotte, Sharon Amity and Independence near Oakhurst area. I was afraid to move on the eastside because of all the bad rumors, but i haven't had any problems, plus I like the fact that im close to everything.

Old 09-29-2015, 12:32 PM

645 posts, read 752,748 times
I just bought another house in that area. The area from Unaka to Monroe Road is experiencing a slow rise in prices because of the impending completion of the overpass at Sharon Amity and Independence. The overpass will add another way to go to and from the university area and SouthPark (due to the elimination of the traffic jam at Sharon Amity and Independence Blvd.) and to and from Uptown from the university Area.

It's a very pretty area. CMPD is doing a great job on the east side. Crime is moving south and south west. That's not great news for those living in Ballantyne and Steel Creek, but for the past three years or so, the break-ins in Ballantyne and Steel Creek have been just occasional (but often enough to raise concern).

Idlewild near Independence is a mess. Hunting Ridge was a nice condo complex thirty years ago, but it took a steep nosedive when south Charlotte opened up. I'm not too familiar with the area south of Idlewild adjacent to the Farm Pond area, but its proximity to The Farm Pond neighborhood and the crime-infested apartments there make anywhere near the area a bad bet.

On the west side of Independence there's a new condo/commercial complex going up between Independence and Monroe. That could be the shot in the arm that the area needs.

Old 10-20-2015, 09:35 AM

128 posts, read 201,177 times
One thing I have learned about this forum is never mention the East Side and living in the same sentence. Yes the East Side can be bad in areas but what area doesn't have one? We live in Coronado Woods and have never had a problem here and we can drive to Uptown, Southpark and Matthews in 10 minutes and the University area in 15.

Old 10-20-2015, 10:52 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,377,946 times
This board is full of exaggeration, insinuation and ego indeed.

There are lots of great deals and lifestyle on the east side indeed and I think it's going to continue to improve as the commutes get worse for those living along or outside 485.

Old 04-02-2016, 11:13 AM

16 posts, read 11,068 times
I live in Sheffield Park and just bought a second house in Idlewild Farms. You clowns keep spending a half a million on a house 45 minutes outside the city. Ill take my houses for under 200k with an in ground pool on a .3 acre lot with 2300 square feet any day. I love the diversity. I love the authentic cuisine. I love the short drive to everything. But no stay away from the East Side. Its a scary place. ;p
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte