Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 07:09 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,811,485 times

Advertisements

If the test was accurate, look closely at the toys or items she is putting into her mouth (she's at that age). Does she have pacifiers? Bottles? A certain sippy cup? In her crib or where she sleeps, is it different from her sister? Google possible lead sources. One common one was painted wooden blocks.

Try going back to the doctor for another finger prick and see if you get the same results if you don't want to wait. Or try a children's clinic that might have more experienced nurses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 07:23 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,014 times
Try contacting the Carolinas Poison Center. It has a 24 hour phone line.

The Poison Center - Carolinas Poison Center Home

Old 09-23-2015, 06:03 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,930,260 times
Couple of things:
1. Be prepared to receive a letter from the NC state health department about the test result.

2. Put the result in prospective. When my son got tested his result was 7 micrograms. The CDC just lowered the standard from 10 to 5. If he would have taken the test a year earlier he would be considered normal range. With your supplied info I would assume your's is close to that number too. We consulted a retired pediatrician friend of ours he told not to worry, have checked in a year. When we did his test scores were within normal ranges. He told us some kids absorb it easier than others, but as they grow it equals itself out.

3. To further put your mind at ease, no medical treatment is recommend until the result is 45 or higher.

I attached two things for you here, one from the CDC and one from NY state, that shows a nice table and recommendations.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/acclpp/...fact_sheet.pdf

https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2526.pdf

Old 09-23-2015, 06:26 AM

653 posts, read 781,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
If the test was accurate, look closely at the toys or items she is putting into her mouth (she's at that age). Does she have pacifiers? Bottles? A certain sippy cup? In her crib or where she sleeps, is it different from her sister? Google possible lead sources. One common one was painted wooden blocks.

Try going back to the doctor for another finger prick and see if you get the same results if you don't want to wait. Or try a children's clinic that might have more experienced nurses.
Just about everything we use with her, we've used with her older sister. Our next step is to get some blood work done. We just wanted suggestions on pediatric clinics that would at least be more experienced and maybe do a better job of drawing the blood without the multiple needles. We found out about a place in Blakeney that we'll bring her to today. Thanks so much for replying!!

Old 09-23-2015, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
Try contacting the Carolinas Poison Center. It has a 24 hour phone line.

The Poison Center - Carolinas Poison Center Home
Thank you!!

Old 09-23-2015, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chb119 View Post
Couple of things:
1. Be prepared to receive a letter from the NC state health department about the test result.

2. Put the result in prospective. When my son got tested his result was 7 micrograms. The CDC just lowered the standard from 10 to 5. If he would have taken the test a year earlier he would be considered normal range. With your supplied info I would assume your's is close to that number too. We consulted a retired pediatrician friend of ours he told not to worry, have checked in a year. When we did his test scores were within normal ranges. He told us some kids absorb it easier than others, but as they grow it equals itself out.

3. To further put your mind at ease, no medical treatment is recommend until the result is 45 or higher.

I attached two things for you here, one from the CDC and one from NY state, that shows a nice table and recommendations.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/lead/acclpp/...fact_sheet.pdf

https://www.health.ny.gov/publications/2526.pdf
Her level came in at 11. Some people have told us that these tests can be faulty sometimes, so we want to be proactive and get some blood work done. We'll have it done this afternoon. Her pediatrician wanted to wait another 3 months to check her again, and that's right in line with the chart on the link you attached, but we're not trying to wait. It's good to know that 45 is the level at which action is needed. We were worried that 5 is normal and she was more than twice that number. We felt like we needed to do something right now.

Thanks so much for your helpful post. It's appreciated!!

Old 09-23-2015, 12:32 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,117 times
Are lead tests something that are given to all children as part of a normal well visit or do you have to request it?

Old 09-23-2015, 01:11 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,424,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I don't get some people on here either...and I don't understand what you're looking for. Do you think someone on here knows a magical place that draws blood without needles?

If it were me, I'd follow the advice of my child's pediatrician. Sorry I can't be more help.
An INSTANT 'fix', but God forbid his child have more than one blood stick....bet he wants to be in the room 'hovering' over that, too. I've been drawing blood on infants-toddlers-kids from preemies to teens my whole life and I know that type of parent. So, let the lead levels climb or stablize or drop...he wants answers that HE wants today...via a forum.

Old 09-23-2015, 02:51 PM

1,985 posts, read 2,066,401 times
It's not a parent's fault to feel overprotective. I think this it's instinctual.

I think you need to take the baby back to have the blood work done and leave the room if you have to. Your baby is going to be fine even if it takes a few misses to find the vein. There's no guarantee the next nurse won't have the same issue.

For the lead, that number is really low. It could be in the soil. Have you had a renovation? How old is your house? Any pets?

Old 09-23-2015, 05:07 PM

Thanks to all of you for taking the time to post here... Whether you think I'm "hovering" or you actually provided some helpful advice, I appreciate it.

We had her blood drawn today and it only took one try for the lady who did it. She had just the right touch... Our little girl didn't even cry. Now we'll just await for the results.

Thanks again for replying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte