U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 11:17 AM

576 posts, read 507,212 times

Advertisements

My 1-year old had her checkup recently and she seems to have a high lead level in her blood. My wife and I are extremely concerned. We also have a 2-year old who had her checkup just 3 months ago and whose lead level is normal. The test is administered via a small prick on the tip of their fingers and some people tell us that this test can be faulty at times. While that gives us hope that its a faulty test and my little girl is perfectly healthy, we are still worried sick over this. We tried having blood drawn for a more assuring test, but they had trouble finding her tiny veins and after 2 tries I decided to put an end to that. I just felt like it was torture for her and no guarantee off getting the blood we needed for the exam. My girls are at home with my wife everyday, in a brand new house. How can one have a high level of lead and the other one not? They play with the same toys and drink the same water. Please forgive my rant...

Has anyone had a similar experience? Where can we go to have blood work done that will be reliable and with staff or technology that will at least limit the needles? I'll go anywhere in Charlotte, but we are located in Indian Trail.

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2015, 11:20 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,813,182 times
Do you have a pediatrician that your children have been seeing? Is that who did the original test?

Old 09-22-2015, 11:21 AM

142 posts, read 182,614 times
Don't you have a normal pediatrician to go to or call? What did they say during the check up? Did you not ask to speak to the doctor then?
Seems like that would be step 1 as opposed to posting on a forum for a bunch of people you don't know to weigh in on your decision.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:19 PM

Yes, her pediatrician is the person who administered the test. She suggested we either wait another 3 months until her next checkup and see if it has decreased, or we can get a blood test now. We want to get a blood test now instead of waiting, but didn't have a great experience the first time we tried. I'm just looking for suggestions on places that we can go to tomorrow (9/23) that will not stick a needle in her arm "hoping" to find a vein.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbutler1 View Post
Don't you have a normal pediatrician to go to or call? What did they say during the check up? Did you not ask to speak to the doctor then?
Seems like that would be step 1 as opposed to posting on a forum for a bunch of people you don't know to weigh in on your decision.
Of course we have a pediatrician... I would think that's a given. Step 1 for me was getting a blood test as soon as possible, which we tried. I posted this looking for help finding a place I can go to have the blood work done without putting my baby-girl thru multiple needles. I swear I don't get some people on here...

Old 09-22-2015, 12:50 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,813,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
Of course we have a pediatrician... I would think that's a given. Step 1 for me was getting a blood test as soon as possible, which we tried. I posted this looking for help finding a place I can go to have the blood work done without putting my baby-girl thru multiple needles. I swear I don't get some people on here...
I don't get some people on here either...and I don't understand what you're looking for. Do you think someone on here knows a magical place that draws blood without needles?

If it were me, I'd follow the advice of my child's pediatrician. Sorry I can't be more help.

Old 09-22-2015, 12:59 PM

142 posts, read 182,614 times
Quote:
I swear I don't get some people on here...
I hear ya!
Both myself and Carolinadawgs asked about a regular pediatrician so maybe we both read your initial post wrong

Oh well. Hope it all turns out ok.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
I don't get some people on here either...and I don't understand what you're looking for. Do you think someone on here knows a magical place that draws blood without needles?

If it were me, I'd follow the advice of my child's pediatrician. Sorry I can't be more help.
Nah man, I'm just hoping a parent who's had to perform a blood test on their child without having them poked 4-5 times could suggest a place to go to.

Thank you both for your help though. And please, if any of my posts came across in the wrong way, don't hold it against me.

Thanks again guys.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:17 PM

16,720 posts, read 14,706,912 times
Quote:
Some people on here are asking why you are asking US what to do if you have a pediatrician. And then you go off on them? Gee, that's helpful. There's not some fairy nurse that can hit a tiny vein every time. You hope for the best, just as anyone here has to do, when going to a lab to get blood drawn.

Old 09-22-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Some people on here are asking why you are asking US what to do if you have a pediatrician. And then you go off on them? Gee, that's helpful. There's not some fairy nurse that can hit a tiny vein every time. You hope for the best, just as anyone here has to do, when going to a lab to get blood drawn.
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte