Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 12:20 PM

245 posts, read 881,178 times

Advertisements

so here is the official update (I left out the places because you never know who is on the board and I don't want to upset or offend anyone)

Okay so here is the latest update from Charlotte…

Hubbs’s interview – XXX Bank – Senior Writer position
• Started on Tuesday at 3 p.m.
o He was introduced to about 7 ppl total that day…met with a young black man (33) who had Director status and has climbed his way up the ladder for 10 yrs at XXX, he said he loved working there and that hubby would also (ybm - 35)
o Apparently, the woman he’d be working for passed his resume along to the majority of the staffers he’d be working with
o They’ve interviewed no one else and don’t have any internal candidates to choose from.
o They are willing to pay his salary requirements – which is about 25% more then he made in the D
• Wednesday – 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
o So hubby essentially put in a work day on Wednesday
o He met with everybody at this point, including the VP of the department, he gave hubyy his home phone number so that I may call his wife to inquire about Charlotte housing and schools
o They took him to lunch
o He attended a staff meeting
o He met with more people
o The VP stated that they were trying to impress hubby.
o (then he receives a 14 page application by email that they forgot to give him…and you know how applications go – you have to fill them our legally for HR to add you to the system as an employee or a simple applicant)
o They didn’t give him a definitive YES, you’re your hired – but they did ask him when is the soonest he could be in Charlotte
• So to wrap it up – he believes that they will play coy until he fills out and returns the app – which requires a drug test, background and credit check…a formality of about 5-10 working days.

My interview(s)
• Tuesday – the unexpected email
o So AS SOON as we checked into the hotel, I checked my email…it was XXX University’s Dean of the College of Business Admin
o I applied for this job in early November and had literally threw the description in the trash from one of my files just before the trip…I’d figured they’d made their decision but hadn’t updated their website to reflect this decision
o Well, he wanted to know if I was still interested… OF COURSE!!! So I let him know that pure coincidence – I WAS IN TOWN and could speak to him in person rather than simply on the phone…so we arranged for Thursday afternoon to come on campus for a driving tour and visit of an hour

• Wednesday – Town of XXX – Executive Director – Downtown XXX, Inc
o 8 a.m. arrival for a 2 hour interview
 First half interview
 Second half – presentation based off of a scenario provided
o So to be blunt – I did great on both…even though my sinuses flared up and I talked through me nose the entire time.
o Presentation went great – I presented a whole new concept to their current lineup and they were pleased (from their faces)
o DO I think they will offer me the job – I honestly don’t know…I did just get an email for some follow up questions on the phone so we will see. If they don’t hire me, that’ll be fine. I enjoyed meeting everyone there! And I received a reimbursement form for my trip and I wasn’t expecting that!
• Wednesday – XXX Community College – Adjunct Faculty
o So I met with the Arts & Communication Chair
o We talked for about 2 hours and by the time we were done – she offered me a position for August teaching a Speech or Intro to Communications class…great opportunity to stay busy and do what I love!

• Thursday – XXX University – Director of External Relations and Asst Prof - Management
o So my husband and I drove to XXX – BEAUTIFUL campus…so full of life and students of all shades – about 6500 students strong.
o The Dean was so hospitable; he was standing outside of the building along with a potential colleague to greet us.
o The Dean drove us around in his vehicle to see the campus. Again, great campus. He talked about some new funding opportunities including a future CAPTIAL CAMPAIGN for the school – BINGO – now its time to mention the current capital campaign at Wayne State that I was initially hired on for – this scores points as I can bring some “big city knowledge” to this smaller institution – I have now moved to the forefront as a candidate
o The Dean talked to us in length about moving down and where to live if we do
o We met about 6 staffers and even the woman whose job I would fill…she still works part time to help start the fundraising campaign
o EVERYONE was super nice and I think I made a great impression by suggesting we come down to see him personally.

So overall• I scored a part time faculty position – would prob teach one class to start in Aug 08’
• Hubby needs to fill out some forms to confirm his standing and their candidate of choice
• And for a full time gig – I might have to wait a while for a concrete answer – but of the two I am candidates for – I did pretty well on first impression.

Last edited by mrsjdaniels; 02-08-2008 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 12:32 PM

16 posts, read 90,859 times
I'm really happy to hear that both you and hubby had successful interviews. After reading some posts on this forum about how difficult it can be to get a job in Charlotte your post gives me hope after all! Best of luck on your relocation.

Old 02-08-2008, 12:41 PM

43 posts, read 125,149 times
mrsjdaniels,

I am so happy for both of you. I have been following your posts and was very excited with your good news the more I read. Congrats!

Old 02-08-2008, 12:54 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
WOO HOO! This is so exciting! I just dm'ed you the info on the house

Old 02-08-2008, 03:53 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,469,759 times
MrsJD - how wonderful to hear how well things have gone. It has been a pleasure posting back and forth with you as you have worked towards relocating here!

Now to hear how this all wraps up - so happy to hear his positive news - and looks forward to finding out where you all are gonna settle here!

Old 02-09-2008, 01:41 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
What an update. Great news, and continued good luck to you two. Also, sometimes the banks can be a little slow following up. So don't be discouraged if their final response to your husband takes a little while. But hopefully that won't be the case. Good luck again.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:46 PM

20 posts, read 86,137 times
I Hope Everything Worked Out For You Guys.

Old 02-11-2008, 02:56 PM

57 posts, read 208,609 times
I second the SOHO restaurant!! I work in the Hearst Tower, which is the second tallest building There are lots of rentals for condo's in town...you shouldn't have any problem finding a place. Creative Loafing is a good resource. Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-11-2008 at 03:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte