Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:08 PM

2,303 posts, read 5,678,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
I can completely understand why you are getting this impression! I would be terrified to move here too. I, for one, feel like some of the opinions expressed on this forum are doing a serious disservice to our beautiful city.
Ditto...sometimes these posts aggravate me so much because there is a sense of exaggeration in some of these posts! Please don't believe all the hype, but also, don't come to the area--and this goes to everyone--with the assumption that this area is Utopia...one would be quickly and sadly mistaken. I don't think tens of thousands of people would be moving to the area if it wasn't safe. Crime can happen anywhere, but in both Charlotte and Rock Hill (and pretty much every other city in the metro area), the chance of becoming a crime victim is about as high as the chance of us getting a blizzard in the morning...and we know that ain't gonna happen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 06:12 PM

11,839 posts, read 28,945,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I dont understand your post I never stating anything related to what you posted nor do I stated any fears if I have any.
The first part of my reply was in response to your renaming Club Onyx with the OP's name for the Charlotte area.
Quote:
That should be the new name for Club Onyx
The second part of my response was my reply to the OP seeing Charlotte as a no man's land full of crime.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:22 PM

85 posts, read 235,287 times
Thanks for the responses. This is the first time I am moving to a new place since I've had kids. Having kids changes you a lot. Before, I was much more fearless. I still was cautious but not so much of a scaredy cat.
Now, I worry about things a tad bit more. I moved to Cincinnati without knowing anyone and adjusted just fine. It just seems that so many of the posts are negative. I just wanted to hear so positive things find out about some of the safer areas. I am looking for a townhome and an apartment that cost between 800-950. My husband will be working outside Rock Hill.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:04 PM

31 posts, read 95,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nutraveler View Post
Thanks for the responses. This is the first time I am moving to a new place since I've had kids. Having kids changes you a lot. Before, I was much more fearless. I still was cautious but not so much of a scaredy cat.
Now, I worry about things a tad bit more. I moved to Cincinnati without knowing anyone and adjusted just fine. It just seems that so many of the posts are negative. I just wanted to hear so positive things find out about some of the safer areas. I am looking for a townhome and an apartment that cost between 800-950. My husband will be working outside Rock Hill.
I think if I didn't have kids, I wouldn't even be using this site. Good luck!!

Old 01-29-2008, 07:14 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,451,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi
I can completely understand why you are getting this impression! I would be terrified to move here too. I, for one, feel like some of the opinions expressed on this forum are doing a serious disservice to our beautiful city.
Well said!

Old 01-29-2008, 08:16 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,021,085 times
Charlotte is a city,city's all have some problems.

Me I love living here in Charlotte

Old 01-29-2008, 08:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,501,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
I work out of my house in south Charlotte & have never been mugged, raped or mown down by a lunatic behind the wheel. Now if I lived in west Charlotte or in the Sugar Creek area I could understand your fears.
I still dont undrerstand that you havent been raped or mugged has to anything about my humerous sarcastic remark on what this club should be renamed??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingowl View Post
The first part of my reply was in response to your renaming Club Onyx with the OP's name for the Charlotte area.
I dont think you know what Club Onyx is and it's history

The second part of my response was my reply to the OP seeing Charlotte as a no man's land full of crime.[/quote] You quoted me which is fine it just doest make sense if you have something to add to OP direct as such other wise it is pressume you are debating something I have wrote.

To OP any large metro area or small town will come across scary at first because you are not familiar with that town. If crime is so bad would families still choose it as a place to live.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:24 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,170 times
Quote:
You must like living in cities dub queen cities. You will notice a vast difference between downtown Cincinnati and Uptown Charlotte. For a visitor of your queen city I did not feel comfortable walking around past the WKRP statue, but the highway system around the city was fun lol. It a matter of perception and comfort level. It is not like DC and you should visit the area before making judgement on the area or making such a move.

However I am impress with what Cinncinati is doing with their school system
I completely agree with the above, it's perception and comfort level.

IMO...as a reasonably cautious female ...I feel Charlotte is NOT as bad as everyone is saying if you just research your intended neighborhood carefully to make sure you know what you're getting into and then use good judgement. It is a large city and as such....comes with some caveats...but never felt unsafe there so long as I just used my judgement. Be careful at gas stations in particular, don't go walking along at night, know what areas to avoid period and what areas to avoid at night, be aware of your surroundings....lock your doors, lock your car doors, etc, you know the drill, but there is no reason to be overly paranoid in Charlotte. Just be reasonable. And you're fine. Things do happen but they do anywhere else, too.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 PM

450 posts, read 2,321,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

One snowy midnite in January, My DH and I were enjoying a stroll outside Union Station and a police officer pulled over and waved at us and said - "you should not be out here. We have had several murders w/in two blocks the last two weeks. Gunfire is not uncommon." We were so shocked. It was so quiet and lovely, watching the snow sparkling in the lamplight.

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.
Oh, my! Yes, sometimes ignorance is bliss all right..it was nice of the cop to warn you, though.

I hate finding beautiful areas that turn out to be unsafe.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:10 AM

85 posts, read 235,287 times
ok. what parts, in general, are safer. I don't think I am being too paranoid. I think it is important to know what you are getting into. If someone wanted to move to Cincinnati, I would tell them to stay out of the Over-the-Rhine area because of the high crime. My family is from DC and if someone was to ask about that city, I would tell them to watch out in areas NE/SE DC. Avoid renting in those areas. I have lived in New Orleans during the time when it was one of the top cities for murders back in the early 90's. I had to find out which areas where more crime ridden than others, so if I found myself in those areas I could take extra precautions. I am clearly aware that there is crime in every city. However, we can all agree that some cities have more crime than others. I just wanted to know if the all hype was true. I just wanted to know which areas to avoid moving to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte