Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:06 PM

4 posts, read 13,170 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I am from Atlanta, Ga. I graduated from college last year and I am having a hard time finding work in the Atlanta area especially in my field, journalism. I was told before I graduated I would have to move to a smaller city to gain experience. I am considering Savannah, Charlotte, Orlando, and Raleigh. Raleigh and Charlotte are my two focus points now, Charlotte being number one and Raleigh behind it. Can any shed light on Charlotte. I have read some the post but it is too overwhelming. I am black, 23, single, college graduate, an dlooking for a job in television or banking. Please keep that in mind in replying. Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 01:22 PM

245 posts, read 881,055 times
my husband had a recent interview in which he was told (by a writer) that the GOOD writer pool in CLT was shallow...

start with indeed.com and get to applying!

Old 01-29-2008, 01:25 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
At your age, and in the field you’re in, my advice would be to get a job anywhere first; and then look to make a move to a city you like. I believe that’s what most people do in your field anyway. And I certainly wouldn’t recommend you move anywhere without first having a job in hand.

But with that said, if you were interested in Charlotte you might want to note the link below….

Media in Charlotte, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some little known facts about Charlotte is that it is home to ESPNU and The Speed Channel, but good luck getting a job at either of those places, as I’m sure its very competitive.

If, by chance, you had a little “bank”, and weren’t concerned about money, then you might want to come up here and try interning for free at one of these places…

The Charlotte Post - The Charlotte Post

Pride Magazine. Charlotte's African American Magazine

And believe it or not, the banks’ have television jobs too, but again, they’re probably very hard to get. Good luck though.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:45 PM

thank you. however, I truly need to know a very good place to live (as a young man, starting out) how is the nightlife? how is the single life? the cost of living? is it better or worst than Atlanta? things like that please.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:20 PM

please lol

Old 01-29-2008, 08:01 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,954 times
The cost of living is similiar to Atlanta, some parts cheaper depending on the area (South Carolina, for example). The nightlife is good, but not as a good as Atlanta. Charlotte seems to be attracting a lot of young professionals so I would say drive on up and check it out for yourself. I think you would like Charlotte over Raleigh.

Old 01-29-2008, 08:57 PM

As for the single life, and where to live, etc. That's a hard question. Coming from Atlanta you will probably be dissapointed. But Charlotte's pretty nice as far as small cities go. I'd say take a look at these sites below to get a gauge for how the night life is. Look under the event/entertainment tabs; and also be sure to check the picture gallery links.

Charlotte's Leading Entertainment & News web site
MingleBerry.com...Going out is Easy...Finding the right spot Is not....Charlotte Nightlife
http://www.thesoulmovement.com/
INNER CIRCLE EVENTS :: PREMIUM PROFESSIONAL NIGHTLIFE
CIAA Tournament - Home

As for where to live, most young African-American professionals with your background live in the University City area, so I would recommend you look there. Most other places in Charlotte would be nice too. But be very careful if looking on the East and West sides of town.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:08 PM

450 posts, read 2,320,919 times
Carolina Blue gives really good advice.

I was going to chime in with my literal 2 cents worth--
1 Cent: Find work in your field first, anywhere you can, and THEN look to transfer to a city where you'd love to work after you get some experience(this doesn't mean not to pick your preferred city and try like heck to get a job there though..good luck!)

2nd Cent: If you can afford it, do try interning. A lot of people get their radio jobs this way, I would think journalism would work the same way, or most any field that has interns..

I'm curious...your field is journalism and you'd like to work in tv or banking. What can you do in your field in banking?? Or do you mean you'd also consider working in banking, unrelated to tv or journalism? This is a personal question, I ask because I am truly curious if there's jobs in banking in CLT that involve journalism or tv- sounds interesting..

Old 01-30-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLily7 View Post

I'm curious...your field is journalism and you'd like to work in tv or banking. What can you do in your field in banking?? Or do you mean you'd also consider working in banking, unrelated to tv or journalism? This is a personal question, I ask because I am truly curious if there's jobs in banking in CLT that involve journalism or tv- sounds interesting..
Thanks for the comment. And I know you asked the other guy this, and I’m sure he’ll answer. But I wanted to chime in a bit. I know that the large banks in town each have large Communications departments that do a myriad of things. Everything from creating press releases and internal company correspondence, to producing television simulcasts to employees. I’d imagine some of the other Fortune 500 companies here may have similar departments, as well.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:47 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,550,237 times
Nightlife in Atlanta is not that great since they passed an ordinance that ALL clubs must be closed by 3am in Fulton County (Atlanta). Some clubs in Charlotte stay open till 4am and sometimes even later. That is not to say that nightlife is better here. It has just changed in Atlanta and not for the best either. Atlanta wants to be a world class city. What world class city closes up at 3am. New York, LA, Miami...etc doesn't.

I remember clubbing in Atlanta years ago when the clubs were open 24hrs (Backstreet).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte