U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2015, 05:25 PM
 
65 posts, read 52,612 times
Reputation: 40

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
So we are extremely excited that my husband got orders to Charlotte. We are originally from Morehead City, NC (coast), so are happy to be going back east. My husband only has about 7 more years in the military, and then will retire. We are hoping to buy a house when we get there and either stay there the rest of our time or rent it for a few years and then move back, once done. We both love the city, and love all there is to do for our family. We have very young kids now 3 month, 3 and 6 so they will still be young when we get there permanently, so good schools are a must.

We were originally thinking a suburb, but I would also be interested in some great neighborhood for families IN Charlotte. As his job could move all around the city and suburbs from month to month, we can't do anything like Gastonia, which is all the way out in 1 direction. I did some pre research, as we wont be moving for another few months, of the housing market and its been kind of hard to find good schools. As I haven't looked heavily yet, are there certain areas I should concentrate on? We love doing family outings on the weekend so we don't want to be far from all the museums and kids activities, but also love outdoor activities in the spring and summer. We want to spend about $200k-$250k as we want to be comfortable after he retires. We would like a larger house (2100 or + sqft), and a bigger yard. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2015, 05:54 PM
 
Location: Southport
4,639 posts, read 4,813,182 times
Reputation: 3417
Unfortunately, that budget isn't going to get you anything in a good school district in a close-in neighborhood. Gastonia, Belmont, Ft. Mill and maybe Concord would be my advice on where to look.

To answer you original question, the neighborhoods you're describing basically run from Uptown (Center City) to the south and southeast...Dilworth, Myers Park, Cotswold, and others. But again, I don't think you're going to find anything in your price range in those areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 06:32 PM
 
65 posts, read 52,612 times
Reputation: 40
Thats what we were thinking too, just figured I would ask. We could afford more, but don't want to have to once he retires from military and is looking for a new job. What are some of your favorite suburbs? Oh and we don't really care to live in a urban type location, we like neighborhoods, but I guess most suburbs will be that and not city living. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 06:54 PM
 
1,117 posts, read 2,458,763 times
Reputation: 1051
Highland Creek in north Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2015, 10:34 PM
 
65 posts, read 52,612 times
Reputation: 40
Ok thanks, haven't even come across it in my research. Will defiantly be taking a look, thanks.

Any more ideas or tips? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 10:08 PM
 
5,889 posts, read 7,746,215 times
Reputation: 3387
Define "good" schools and "bigger" yard. There are several areas in your price range with what are generally considered "above average" schools even though they may not be commonly mentioned among the "top" schools (although those can certainly be argued).

I don't think you'll really be able to find all 3 of those qualities (not too far out being the third), but you should be able to get at least 2 of the three.

Good suggestions so far IMO.

In my opinion, I'd probably break it down something like this and I'm sure I'm leaving out some areas:

Top-rated schools/not too far out: Fort Mill. Don't think you can really get much yard there for that price though.

"Good" schools/not too far out/possibility for larger yard: Belmont, Matthews, Mint Hill

Top-rated schools/possibility for larger yard: Mooresville.

Highland Creek (and immediate vicinity) as mentioned above would be a good suggestion considering the work location you said in your other thread. It would at least be in the "good" schools category IMO, although I think the Cabarrus County homes may be a little more in demand. In addition to Union County, CMS has had a history of redistricting although they haven't done one for a little while. But to be honest with all the growth in the area as a whole that is probably a concern almost anywhere, maybe a little bit less so at Fort Mill and that's also why I threw out Mooresville even though it's a little further out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2015, 10:41 PM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,983 posts, read 27,275,155 times
Reputation: 9009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Define "good" schools and "bigger" yard. There are several areas in your price range with what are generally considered "above average" schools even though they may not be commonly mentioned among the "top" schools (although those can certainly be argued).

I don't think you'll really be able to find all 3 of those qualities (not too far out being the third), but you should be able to get at least 2 of the three.

Good suggestions so far IMO.

In my opinion, I'd probably break it down something like this and I'm sure I'm leaving out some areas:

Top-rated schools/not too far out: Fort Mill. Don't think you can really get much yard there for that price though.

"Good" schools/not too far out/possibility for larger yard: Belmont, Matthews, Mint Hill

Top-rated schools/possibility for larger yard: Mooresville.

Highland Creek (and immediate vicinity) as mentioned above would be a good suggestion considering the work location you said in your other thread. It would at least be in the "good" schools category IMO, although I think the Cabarrus County homes may be a little more in demand. In addition to Union County, CMS has had a history of redistricting although they haven't done one for a little while. But to be honest with all the growth in the area as a whole that is probably a concern almost anywhere, maybe a little bit less so at Fort Mill and that's also why I threw out Mooresville even though it's a little further out.
I thought that I heard something about building schools in Ft Mill a while ago.

I don't see us being able to give the OP the magical spot to hit everything on her wish list. Then there's the traffic factor. It's bad from the north, south, & east during rush hour, if her husband would be traveling then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 05:05 AM
 
5,889 posts, read 7,746,215 times
Reputation: 3387
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I thought that I heard something about building schools in Ft Mill a while ago.

I don't see us being able to give the OP the magical spot to hit everything on her wish list. Then there's the traffic factor. It's bad from the north, south, & east during rush hour, if her husband would be traveling then.
True, I was more referring to the fact that I believe that Fort Mill schools seem to be somewhat more town-based so even if redistricting occurs there's less chance of getting moved to a "bad" school.

While not perfect, traffic from Fort Mill is better than from places like western Union County or the Lake Norman area. It of course is in the southern part of the metro so while it is somewhat on the opposite end of town from the possible work location mentioned in the other thread, in my opinion it is in a relatively convenient location for getting elsewhere in the metro with being close to 77 and 485 and not too far from 85 (although somewhere like Highland Creek probably beats it from that perspective).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 07:33 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,983 posts, read 27,275,155 times
Reputation: 9009
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
True, I was more referring to the fact that I believe that Fort Mill schools seem to be somewhat more town-based so even if redistricting occurs there's less chance of getting moved to a "bad" school.

While not perfect, traffic from Fort Mill is better than from places like western Union County or the Lake Norman area. It of course is in the southern part of the metro so while it is somewhat on the opposite end of town from the possible work location mentioned in the other thread, in my opinion it is in a relatively convenient location for getting elsewhere in the metro with being close to 77 and 485 and not too far from 85 (although somewhere like Highland Creek probably beats it from that perspective).
Gaston County built Stuart Cramer High School in anticipation of needing another high school in eastern Gaston. They won't have significant shuffling of students. However, it sounds like she wants schools that will have stability for about 10 years. I don't see that happening within a reasonable commuting distance of Charlotte. Too many things can happen in that timeframe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2015, 08:02 AM
 
5,889 posts, read 7,746,215 times
Reputation: 3387
Yeah that's why I also mentioned Mooresville, in particularly I believe in the Mooresville Graded School District there is only 1 HS and I don't believe that there are current plans for another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top