U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 11:24 AM

21,852 posts, read 27,123,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I know they weren't in Florida, they are the worst.
I'm just going to make a guess that it was somewhere west of the mountains.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 11:50 AM

2,143 posts, read 2,610,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm just going to make a guess that it was somewhere west of the mountains.
Agreed.

The last weather reports I remembered seeing from WCNC was around 4-6" for my area (Mooresville) and they pretty much nailed that. They also had the upstate of SC (and that includes more than Fort Mill) upwards of 11". Not sure where that final tally will be but based on the fact the SC govt is pleading with people to stay off all roads it sounds like that's pretty close as well.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Howl View Post
Agreed.

The last weather reports I remembered seeing from WCNC was around 4-6" for my area (Mooresville) and they pretty much nailed that. They also had the upstate of SC (and that includes more than Fort Mill) upwards of 11". Not sure where that final tally will be but based on the fact the SC govt is pleading with people to stay off all roads it sounds like that's pretty close as well.
I'm a Michigan native. West of the mountains, weather patterns are west to east. East of the mountains, where I've spent most of my life, it's not cut & dry. This rain was coming from the southeast, for example. Then there's the ever popular nor'easters.

Yes, the stations sensationalize potential weather problems. That's for ratings, plain & simple.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:17 PM

356 posts, read 559,061 times
Well,

It's no longer an over statement to say SC is getting hammered.

Some places already have over a FOOT of rain.

The floods have also shut down Interstate 95 from I-20 to I-26, a stretch of highway some 70 miles long. Portions of Interstate 20 and I-77 are also closed due to standing water, the State reported.

Officials are worried life-threatening impacts will only worsen as the 1-in-1,000-year rain event continues Sunday. Authorities said hundreds of people were in need of rescue Sunday morning as the floodwaters kept rising all over the Palmetto State.

"Stay home. Stay off the roadways," Thom Berry, South Carolina Emergency Management spokesperson, told The Weather Channel on Sunday. "Don't get on the roadways because you very likely can become part of the problem."

Four people have been killed by the flash floods in South Carolina, and officials worry that number will rise. Swift-water rescue teams have been dispatched all over the state to help pluck stranded residents out of flooding. Authorities have asked citizens to only call 911 if there's a life-threatening emergency.

"Move to higher ground now. This is an extremely dangerous and life-threatening situation," wrote the National Weather Service's Charleston office in a Sunday morning flash flood statement. Dorchester, Berkeley and Charleston counties remain under a flash flood emergency.

http://www.weather.com/safety/floods...ding-impacts-0

Old 10-04-2015, 03:55 PM

82 posts, read 61,583 times
We got a little less than than 3" here in Rock Hill. A lot less than was was being called for. I'm very glad! Having lived through two major floods where we previously lived, I have a lot of empathy for those in Columbia and Charleston. If your house has ever been destroyed by flood waters (6-8 feet of water on the first floors), it's something that scars you and your family for the rest of your life. Thinking that the slighest bend of that storm tract could of sent a foot or more of rain 60 miles north from Columbia to Rock Hill gives me the chills and a few no so pleasant flashbacks. Those people have a long road of recovery ahead of them. Some will never recover. I know. Been there/done that.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:34 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,776,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbmallory View Post
Hmmmm....SC is a big state. So yes, when someone says "just south of Charlotte" I do actually assume they mean just south of Charlotte - as in Fort Mill or Rock Hill. Charleston, where there is actual flooding occurring is not just "just south of Charlotte". Regardless, when the meteorologists for Charlotte weather stations prepare a weather forecast for Charlotte it should be weather that will occur in Charlotte and the near outskirts. That was my point. The forecast for Charlotte was completely inaccurate. The fact that there is flooding somewhere does not an accurate forecast for Charlotte make. My sensitivity to the citizens of Charleston is a completely different topic.
Colombia has had a foot of rain. A terrible situation. In meteorological terms, thats not far from Ft. Mill at all. Consider yourself lucky.

Old 10-04-2015, 06:53 PM

5,616 posts, read 4,845,692 times
You should check out NOAA satellite photos , it's not pretty

Old 10-05-2015, 10:25 AM

44,339 posts, read 17,695,102 times
It's quite fascinating how quickly the local TeeVee weather reporting changed once the extent of the damage Columbia became know. All the show boating reporters standing in puddles and hyperventilating by the weather "anchors" telling us how bad it was immediately stopped. This was replaced by telling us that exactly the same conditions in Charlotte were nothing. LOL.

They are laughably bad about it.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
It's quite fascinating how quickly the local TeeVee weather reporting changed once the extent of the damage Columbia became know. All the show boating reporters standing in puddles and hyperventilating by the weather "anchors" telling us how bad it was immediately stopped. This was replaced by telling us that exactly the same conditions in Charlotte were nothing. LOL.

They are laughably bad about it.
It's a ratings technique that's also used in Philadelphia, Baltimore, & DC. They stand there screaming like their hair is on fire about snow & hurricanes. If there's enough of a run on supermarkets they can send reporters to the stores to report on people stripping the shelves.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:05 AM

11,718 posts, read 9,340,074 times
I watched a news feed that showed 4 or 5 cars stalled in 2 ft of water....

and then another car drove down the same road and stalled out.

What in the world were people out driving for in the first place? Is this an insurance scam?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte