U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2015, 07:14 PM

576 posts, read 503,477 times

Advertisements

Contemplating enrolling at ITT to pursue an Associate's Degree in Network Systems Administration hoping this would put me on the path to a career in the IT field. I currently work in the Retirement Benefits industry as a 401k Plan Administrator but am contemplating a career change. I've often seen ITT's commercials and wondered if it would be a good starting point for me. I've visited their campuses and the cost of the Associate's Program is roughly $40k.

I wonder how much weight a degree from ITT really holds in the job market? Is it "worth" it to attend this program? Do employers recognize an ITT degree to be of much value?

Any ITT grads out there who can share their experiences?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2015, 07:24 PM

625 posts, read 199,988 times
$40K is a lot to spend on an associates. Check your local Community College and take classes there.
From what I've heard, places like ITT are a scam. Do an on-lie search for reviews "ITT Tech Reviews" and read what people say.
As a manager, if I had a few people applying for jobs an one had an Associates Degree from a regular college and one had a degree from ITT, all other things being equal, I'm going to hire the regular college person. ITT is seen as a diploma mill where anyone with the funds to pay can go and graduate.

Old 10-01-2015, 08:57 PM

2,143 posts, read 2,611,764 times
I agree, $40k is an outrageous sum of money for an Associates degree. Maybe it's so expensive due to how quickly you can get through the program and receive the degree?

I'd definitely check out the local community college and see what they offer.

Good luck in your transition!

Old 10-02-2015, 05:24 AM

6,032 posts, read 7,530,799 times
not so much a Scam, but 40k is an asinine amount to spend for a 2 year degree. Can get the same stuff at CPCC for less than 3-4 grand.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:54 AM

Thanks for the feedback!! I have done some research on this and did find all the negative reviews online. I also think that $40k for an Associate's Degree is extremely high. I was hoping to hear from actual ITT students and their stories since the reviews online are 95% negative. I think I'll reconsider my options and make sure I make the right decision. Thanks again everyone!!

Old 10-02-2015, 08:31 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,384,237 times
Central Piedmont CC has some amazing offerings for the value. I would start with the job you want, then work backwards on the vocational degree required to attain it. Kudos to you for thinking this through - there are a lot of people who signed up based on the assumption that a degree from ITT would lead to an automatic job. It won't.

Good luck!

Old 10-02-2015, 08:37 AM

371 posts, read 315,272 times
I can't stand their ads. All it shows is happy family time. What does that have to do with the school or what you will be doing? 'Don't think of that, think of the rewards.' Thats what Edward Snowden said. He was living in Hawaii and he gave it all up. Thats what the movie The Firm was about.
They had one ad where an applicant was being rejected by everyone. The men were fatherly and sorry 'I'm sorry but you need...' The woman was a ***** 'More education.' Typical Republican tactic.

Old 10-02-2015, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
Central Piedmont CC has some amazing offerings for the value. I would start with the job you want, then work backwards on the vocational degree required to attain it. Kudos to you for thinking this through - there are a lot of people who signed up based on the assumption that a degree from ITT would lead to an automatic job. It won't.

Good luck!
Thank you for the advice!!

Old 10-02-2015, 09:20 AM

3,356 posts, read 8,864,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeros318 View Post
Contemplating enrolling at ITT to pursue an Associate's Degree in Network Systems Administration hoping this would put me on the path to a career in the IT field. I currently work in the Retirement Benefits industry as a 401k Plan Administrator but am contemplating a career change. I've often seen ITT's commercials and wondered if it would be a good starting point for me. I've visited their campuses and the cost of the Associate's Program is roughly $40k.

I wonder how much weight a degree from ITT really holds in the job market? Is it "worth" it to attend this program? Do employers recognize an ITT degree to be of much value?

Any ITT grads out there who can share their experiences?
Save your money, CPCC all the way.

IT Programs

Also if you do the AAS in IT you can transfer to ECU and also do the BS.

Not counting any possible tax refunds etc, an AAS at CPCC including your textbooks should run you about $10K

Yes I am being biased here, I went to CPCC for my AAS and I also know the program chair of networking at CPCC, he is awesome and will help anybody.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:23 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,384,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norman_w View Post
I can't stand their ads. All it shows is happy family time. What does that have to do with the school or what you will be doing? 'Don't think of that, think of the rewards.' Thats what Edward Snowden said. He was living in Hawaii and he gave it all up. Thats what the movie The Firm was about.
They had one ad where an applicant was being rejected by everyone. The men were fatherly and sorry 'I'm sorry but you need...' The woman was a ***** 'More education.' Typical Republican tactic.

For profit education is not as ideologically aligned as you may think. Everybody has their hands in the cookie jar. The marketing that bothers you was financed by Republican and Democratic minds.

Some of the biggest supporters of for profit education are Democrats. The owner of the Apollo Group (which owns University of Pheonix) is Peter Sperling - a democrat. Al Sharpton, Lanny Davis (former Clinton advisor), Heather Podesta (Democratic lobbyist), Marc Morial, ..all democrats lobbying and advocating for "for profit" education. Don't get me wrong, there are republican's vouching for their merits as well, but to say this is just a republican tactic is a hasty generalization. I think you would be better off saying it's a typical 'fear' tactic - of which both Democrats and Republican's are guilty of utilizing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte