U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2015, 09:47 PM

4 posts, read 2,286 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating from Lexington, KY to Charlotte, N.C. Here's the rub - while I have a huge house and giant yard (complete with pool) in Lexington, I seek no such homestead in Charlotte. Rather, I seek a downtown historically natured townhome with a courtyard, backyard area for my sanity and my dogs. Is this even a plausible ambition? I have never been in this city. Any feedback or suggestions will be wholly embraced. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 05:09 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,778,931 times
There are a few such places...the Fourth Ward area of Uptown (as Charlotte calls its center city) has some properties as you describe. First Ward has some newer versions.

Old 10-03-2015, 06:12 AM

93 posts, read 158,448 times
We moved from Lexington to CLT 3 years ago. If you're looking for Chevy Chase/Richmond Rd homes, you'll find many to choose from in the areas south of uptown. Compared to Lexington, be prepared to pay a hefty premium in Charlotte.
Feel free to PM me if you need comparisons of the area.

Old 10-03-2015, 07:43 PM

4 posts, read 2,286 times
Yeah, thanks, hence my question. The price tags I've seen are incredibly steep. I've notice there are no townhouse/brownstone properties at all. They're all new developments. A condo won't work with two Labradors. I am also unfamiliar with the taxing schedule so fear for the worse. Is the overall cost of living so incredibly drastic? I live in the Deepwood area now which is Lexington's best kept secret. I seriously appreciate your input as you are capable to comprehending my vantage point. Many thanks.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:01 PM

93 posts, read 158,448 times
I'm very familiar with the Deepwood area. The tax schedules are not nearly as bad as Fayette County. Expect to pay about 10% less on property. Income taxes will be a big relief as you'll escape the Fayette county portion and only pay state.

The cost of property in Charlotte is obnoxious compared to Lexington. The well established areas will then draw a hefty premium due their proximity to Uptown. Expend your search to the Freedom Park area. I'm not sure if there are town homes in the area but it would be the area I would live if I didn't have school aged kids.

Old 10-04-2015, 05:30 PM

185 posts, read 224,177 times
I'm also here from Lexington. Charlotte isn't going to offer the same historic comes as the Henry Clay area in Lexington. However, there is a new area just south of the city called Cherry neighborhood that is getting built up and happening. Otherwise, I agree with the Fourth Ward recommendation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte