U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Still Happy?
Yes 31 75.61%
No 10 24.39%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 09:24 PM

819 posts, read 639,853 times

Advertisements

I think Charlotte is headed in the same place as ATL. I actually moved just out of Charlotte from Dekalb County GA in 1993. With northern migration it's going to inflate the local economy and bring franchises and wealthy artisan independents to replace existing businesses.. Expect the continuing transition of social convention too..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 11:36 AM

436 posts, read 334,875 times
The problem is that most people in this area do not care for franchises. They are more into the small momma poppa businesses. Lots of northerners come here and open small businesses and unfortunately, many fail. So many bars changes names numerous times. The uniqueness they think they are adding to the economy isn't usually unique at all. And too often, doing something like they do it up north doesn't produce desired results down here. We love those wonderful European corporations that relocate here making our flights from the airport to international destinations more secure and the addition of great ethnic restaurants to accommodate the foreign population living her (20 percent in Charlotte). It is great that Charlotte is such a huge destination for people from everywhere. Most of the northerners I meet are newly retired and move here to enjoy a much better quality of life at a much more affordable price. Oh yea, and the weather is great too. I have no problem with the Chinese making a huge footprint here.

Atlanta is a large, less organized Charlotte. Traffic there is a nightmare 24/7, but it is a great city. Preference totally depends on whether one prefers a big city or a super big city.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
The problem is that most people in this area do not care for franchises. They are more into the small momma poppa businesses. Lots of northerners come here and open small businesses and unfortunately, many fail. So many bars changes names numerous times. The uniqueness they think they are adding to the economy isn't usually unique at all. And too often, doing something like they do it up north doesn't produce desired results down here. We love those wonderful European corporations that relocate here making our flights from the airport to international destinations more secure and the addition of great ethnic restaurants to accommodate the foreign population living her (20 percent in Charlotte). It is great that Charlotte is such a huge destination for people from everywhere. Most of the northerners I meet are newly retired and move here to enjoy a much better quality of life at a much more affordable price. Oh yea, and the weather is great too. I have no problem with the Chinese making a huge footprint here.

Atlanta is a large, less organized Charlotte. Traffic there is a nightmare 24/7, but it is a great city. Preference totally depends on whether one prefers a big city or a super big city.
Believe it or not up till the mid 90s most people knew each-other in ATL. I lived in Dakalb around Brookhaven which was nothing but families at the time. Now literally every place I knew is extremely expensive development or commercial..

With region-transformation rates of around 8 years people who don't want any of that will not have a choice within the century..

It's really up to people who sale their land to the developers though.. If they don't like the town you can't do anything about it..

Old 10-17-2015, 07:22 PM

50 posts, read 47,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Yes. You should everyone is going to promote there city so your really aren't going to get a balanced answer. In Atlanta forum people will give you pros and cons
Actually, I'm not interested in the promotion of one city over the other in the normal sense. I love big cities. I've always liked the amount of amenities and events that occur in large cities. However, as I get a little older I'm starting to see the benefits of a mid size city. I'm wondering whether anyone looked at both cities decided to choose Charlotte for the same reasons I would choose Charlotte, but then discover that Charlotte lacked something that they could only get from a larger city. I am in no way asking for people to slam Charlotte and promote Atlanta or vice versa.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:56 PM

84 posts, read 104,726 times
I've lived in both Dallas and Atlanta, Atlanta was too big for me and I know that sounds kinda weird considering how big Dallas is. Also, if you aren't happy in Dallas, i doubt you'll be happy in Charlotte unless your issue involves weather, or the people, which it sounds like it doesn't. I keep seeing you talk about cost of living and jobs, North carolina has a 6% state income tax, vs Texas, which has none. If you make anything over 100k, which it sounds like you do, that's a big pill to swallow. The only thing that will be cheaper is property taxes.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:54 PM

4,199 posts, read 3,564,439 times
Oh God let this thread die.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:03 PM

29,728 posts, read 27,153,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Believe it or not, it's a pretty civil thread. Most people in this thread who chose to live in Charlotte instead of Atlanta mainly say it's because Charlotte's smaller size is more manageable and the traffic is more bearable. Can't really argue with that.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:23 AM

436 posts, read 334,875 times
In summary, Charlotte is an easy place to live very comfortably with all of the amenities. "We got it all."

Old 11-09-2015, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
God forbid people not be young urban professional..

Old 01-19-2016, 10:03 AM

696 posts, read 1,063,696 times
When people say they move to a city because of traffic, to me that's a temporary fix, esp when a city like Charlotte is growing. Traffic will only get worse and if Charlotte is like a "mini" Atlanta, people commute from the burbs into the city, and won't allow transit into their communities....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or