Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2015, 07:31 AM

797 posts, read 3,294,457 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a good baseball league for a 9 year old. I nor my son cared for the league
he was on. There were way too many kids on the team (15) and so he spent hours in the dugout and get only once up to bat and once in the field in an entire game. It really made him lose the love for baseball (and he is a good player). They had a few practices before games started then it was just 3 games a week. It was a complete waste to have him play as he just spent hours on end in the dugout..getting no game time and no experience on the field. All he wants to do is just play baseball..he loves it and loves playing it.
We really miss the old league we came from (another city) where it was small..they spent a lot of time with the kids and working with them and everyone was always on the field.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2015, 10:54 AM

162 posts, read 729,346 times
Where do you live? There are tons of baseball leagues around Charlotte.... feel free to PM if you want.

Old 10-08-2015, 01:13 PM

797 posts, read 3,294,457 times
I'm in south charlotte. I know all the names of the local baseball leagues. My son was with a pretty competitive one but we did not care for it. Sitting hours on end in a dugout with 15 kids ....isn't helping anyone.
I'm looking for someone who has experience in some of the rec leagues and little leagues .

Old 10-08-2015, 01:16 PM

830 posts, read 1,529,581 times
A lot of them are bounded by geography - where you live/where the kids go to school, so the choices may be somewhat limited. There are some other programs (Clippers, for example) that draw from a wider area, but would not be considered rec or little league.

Obviously a lot of variance between coaches/teams in the same league as well - in terms of playing time, rotating positions, etc.

Old 10-08-2015, 02:24 PM

631 posts, read 891,523 times
Leave or travel team?

Old 10-08-2015, 02:47 PM

162 posts, read 729,346 times
My son has played with three different leagues since he was 8. South Charlotte, Park Sharon, and Weddington. All three were a positive experience and all three have rec leagues and more competitive "select" teams or tournament teams. The select teams typical are picked from the rec league teams and they play other select teams in the area. The only knock on the select teams is they end up playing a lot of games because it overlaps with the rec schedule and may include some weekends too.

The tournament teams play on the weekends only (usually thru Nations baseball, ECA, or Top Gun) and may practice 1-2 times a week. This is more like travel baseball, except there are so many teams in this area, you don't really have to leave the Charlotte region to play good competitive baseball.

Other leagues I have heard good things about are Myers Park, and MARA (they have a great facility).

Hope this helps
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte