Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 08:55 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Just a thought...should this thread even be here instead of in HOUSE?
Good point - there is another thread in HOUSE on hardwood flooring, and that may be of assistance to the OP.

As for my experience, I tore up carpet and vinyl and had a local installer put down solid hardwoods, and feel that is the only way to go, both for esthetics and for re-sale. I had some existing hardwoods and had them sanded and stained to match the newly installed floor. It looks great. I have a dark cherry color, wh/ matches my Georgian home and 18th C style furniture, and love the dark color, but it is not for everyone. Laminate just looks cheap to me, and I would not buy a house w/ it in it - just my opinion. So for resale, I would highly recommend real hardwood installation, cause there are probably others like me who are turned off by laminates. I do think about resale but also want to enjoy my home while in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 08:56 AM

70 posts, read 236,603 times
My last reply got lost in cyberspace??

I installed laminate like Pergo in two smaller rooms on a slab. I have a yellow Lab and it sounded like he was tap dancing when he walked in those rooms.

Laminate is installed over a thin micro bubble wrap type of plastic and therefore is floating. Makes it easy to disassemble and replace a damaged piece but I would not do it again because of the sound. And it does not look near as classy as the real wood.

I would definitely go with real wood, either engineered, factory finished or on site finish. They all have their pros and cons as mentioned above, mainly related to refinishing.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:59 AM

40 posts, read 93,031 times
bibit612:

Thanks for your reply, BUT that was not my question. I think you meant to reply to another post which was right below mine.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:00 AM

379 posts, read 644,967 times
I also would love to hear some reputable hardwood websites.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-30-2008 at 09:05 AM.. Reason: Edited to comply with City-Data's Terms of Service

Old 01-30-2008, 09:05 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,896,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim28256 View Post
bibit612:

Thanks for your reply, BUT that was not my question. I think you meant to reply to another post which was right below mine.

Thanks.
I was not replying to yours or any one's question...just myself asking a question since it was regarding HW vs laminates, Lowes vs Home Depot which is not unique to Charlotte, that's why I also added that your questions may be better answered through the House thread. I got my question answered by the subsequent poster.

Thanks.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:09 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
I also would love to hear some reputable hardwood websites.
Well, i have looked on Lumber Liquidators to educate myself. Also, I got on Craigslist to see who is installing . My sister used someone out of Statesville, I believe, as she is in M'ville. So for anyone who needs installer rec for N, I can find out who she used.

Just let me know.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-30-2008 at 09:14 AM.. Reason: Edited to comply with City-Data's Terms of Service Use DM

Old 01-30-2008, 12:51 PM

279 posts, read 887,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim28256 View Post
I am planning to get hardwood floors installed at my house. I have approximately 1000 Sq.ft. of floor space for hardwood. Should I shop at Lowe's or Home Depot ?

Is Laminate better than Engineered Hardwood? Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
We had hardwood floors put in and I love them. We used 3/4 inch pre stained red oak planks.They can be resanded if needed in years to come. The place to go is The Hardwood Flooring Center in Hickory. You can't beat the prices and they can arrange installation as well. They have a great showroom with lots of choices. The showroom floors are layed with all the different choices so you can actually see what it looks like! I'm telling you,check this place out! you won't be sorry.Their number is 828-322-9404 Good luck!

Old 01-31-2008, 08:08 AM

40 posts, read 93,031 times
All,

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your input and advice.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:58 PM

126 posts, read 579,539 times
It really depends on the laminate. I have had Pergo in the past (the floating kind) and HATED it.

We just bought a new house and the realtor/builder had the flooring listed as pre-finished hardwood. We've only had regular hardwood, not prefinished, so we believed the builder/realtor and OUR realtor when they both insisted it was prefinished hardwood.

After the closing, we found out that it is indeed laminate flooring (as I suspected.) I would much prefer hardwood, but I will say that this flooring is much better than the Pergo we had previously. It is nice to walk on and is a beautiful pattern. I do have a child and a dog, so I'm sure it'll hold up fine. I'm just mad that I was lead to believe it was pre-finished hardwood. GRRR.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:03 PM

1,852 posts, read 5,220,096 times
I have been looking into this myself.. Can I recommend you check our Bamboo floors. Look good, obviously not a dark wood, can be refinished and very sturdy. Plus Bamboo is a great on the environment.

As far as who.. Lowes and Home Depot both have their praisers and naysays.. You might save a buck going local. Just check the warranty!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte