U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 01:42 PM

10 posts, read 28,728 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Ballantyne and though it was very nice and had a lot of things nearby - the commute doesn't get any worse. I alternated between taking providence rd, I-77, and johnston to uptown and on the best days it was about 40 minutes, on the worst 50 mins to an hour. And forget about Friday afternoon! It took me anywhere from 1 hour to 1.5 to get home.

Where are you working? I work at Bank of America and they have corporate offices in b-tyne that associates can use instead of making the commute. Just thought I would throw it out in case you were going to be working there.

I am currently living uptown, so I walk to work. I will be moving to Huntersville in the summer time frame (Monteith Park) - we have tested the commute a few times and in general it seems to be much easier, and still has a lot of things close by. I think someone here said I-77 was the only way to get to Charlotte from Huntersville, but actually Old Statesville Rd and Beatties Ford are alternatives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2007, 01:45 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerGirl View Post
I think someone here said I-77 was the only way to get to Charlotte from Huntersville, but actually Old Statesville Rd and Beatties Ford are alternatives.

Shhhh!!!!

Old 01-24-2007, 01:47 PM

59 posts, read 116,846 times
According to their website, Blackstone homes start at 636k.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 28,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
Shhhh!!!!

Oops...not even living there yet and already I'm spoiling it for the locals!!

Old 01-24-2007, 04:02 PM

286 posts, read 862,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerGirl View Post
Oops...not even living there yet and already I'm spoiling it for the locals!!
LOL i also found those roads.....

Old 01-24-2007, 05:48 PM

509 posts, read 1,642,965 times
After looking at Ballantyne and Blakeney Greens... we went for Huntersville too and will be in Monteith Park. There are a lot of reasons - one is that Ballantyne is space-agey to me. I also think the commute is easier - or maybe more familiar because I used to live in Statesville - so I already knew those "secret" roads"! I'll be working uptown - and I can sort of make my own hours, within reason (I'm an attorney, so work a lot but can work from anywhere)

Anyway, there seems to be quite a Monteith gathering here ... we'll need a porch party or something once we all get there

GT

Old 01-25-2007, 04:25 AM

91 posts, read 382,581 times
Space-agey? haha, I've never heard that one.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:59 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,873,573 times
The one new house that's left is in that range. But there are a few that were previously lived in that are for sale. They are only a couple years old. I'll find you a link.

Old 01-25-2007, 06:06 AM

6,772 posts, read 11,873,573 times
Here are 6 that are for sale. 2 are in the 650 range, 2 are 499(which you could put in a lower bid on), 1 is 489, and 1 is 450. I actually like the 450 one a lot. You can put up fences too.

url removed

Last edited by Marka; 07-17-2007 at 04:00 AM..

Old 01-25-2007, 07:57 AM

295 posts, read 1,193,200 times
I've got basically the same dilemma in front of me now that I'm on the home stretch of my home search (only bump it out 10 miles each way).

I'm looking at the northern section of Waxhaw (near Waxhaw-Marvin Road) vs. the eastern outreaches of Davidson (near Shearer's Road).

Each seems to be similar 9-mile distance from the respective "cool" areas - Waxhaw near Ballantyne and Davidson near Birkdale. I'll admit a preference for Ballantyne over Birkdale for what I know so far.

Each has its issues with traffic (485 from 77 to Johnston Road in the south - 77 in the north). I'm commuting to the airport primarily, so Waxhaw would appear to be a little closer, although they're both pretty similar distances according to MapQuest. Hopefully once the northwest section of 485 is complete (supposed to be this year?) that would even the commute out even more.

Taxes in this case are actually cheaper in the area of Davidson that I'm looking since its just barely over the Iredell County line and not in the city of Davidson, while the area I'm looking at in Waxhaw is just barely in the city of Waxhaw - so despite the Union County taxes, the dual rate bumps it up to 0.97%.

The community I'm looking at in Davidson provides more land than the community in Wahaw ... to the tune of 0.8 acre or greater in Davidson to 0.3 acres in the Waxhaw community.

Why am I listing this? Not sure ... just thinking out loud and to let you know you have company in the confusion department. I'll also be happy to take any advice directed at your question and try to use it for my own benefit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or