U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-12-2015, 09:28 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,868 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Reputation: 8933

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
London is a very sprawled out city. Many people that live on the outskirts (Epping, Sutton, Carpenter's Park, Ascot, and other suburbs often never go into the city of London. Oh yea, I bet he hasn't been to Paris either. The same applies.
Big old cities that have been big for a very long time have sprawl that more closely resembles the area west of Charlotte rather than western Union County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-12-2015, 10:34 AM
 
986 posts, read 738,289 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post

As for the housing developments. It's almost impossible to build a neighborhood without removing most of the trees. It can be done, but it's very cost prohibitive, and most people need affordable housing over a 50 year old tree.
At the very least, developers could replant majestic native trees that will one day fill the canopy (like Oaks, Walnuts, Pecans, Poplars, Hickories, Sugarberries and Sycamores). Unfortunately much of the newer development is polluted with Bradford Pears, short lived dwarf cherries, mimosas, privets and other nuisance species. Even in a fifty years these neighborhoods won't have a proper canopy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2015, 11:12 AM
 
Location: The place where the road & the sky collide
21,868 posts, read 27,133,212 times
Reputation: 8933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
At the very least, developers could replant majestic native trees that will one day fill the canopy (like Oaks, Walnuts, Pecans, Poplars, Hickories, Sugarberries and Sycamores). Unfortunately much of the newer development is polluted with Bradford Pears, short lived dwarf cherries, mimosas, privets and other nuisance species. Even in a fifty years these neighborhoods won't have a proper canopy.
Go to a city council meeting & ask if they can modify the zoning code. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 04:51 AM
 
Location: Allen
159 posts, read 116,368 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
The problem is your clueless. You grew up in Asheville? Well you should have known what Charlotte is. It lacks character of big northern cities. That's no shock, and if you did any amount of research you should've known this. That's really what you want, and what it comes down to. Fact is what you want isn't being built in any new city. It only exists in either olderhuge cities, or much much smaller little towns. It would be impossible to have what you wanted in Charlotte, considering its explosive growth. Furthermore most don't want what you are looking for, and are very happy with what Charlotte has to offer.

As for the housing developments. It's almost impossible to build a neighborhood without removing most of the trees. It can be done, but it's very cost prohibitive, and most people need affordable housing over a 50 year old tree.

Lastly life is what you make of it. You have a sour attitude on Charlotte. That's fine, but it's your choice. I'm sure there's plently of other things your unhappy about as well in your life
In 2002, when I became my research to move back NC, everyone talked as though it was to become a urban city like the big northern cities you talk about, it didn't. The explosive growth, you mention, was developments outside the tiny loop of of the city. Yes, the city built up, but in the same space that was already city. The city did not grow in size. The tree gutting developments swiped up the land.
And you judgment of me personally is wrong, the one subject of this one tread is not my entire life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 06:15 AM
 
436 posts, read 334,704 times
Reputation: 424
After all of the rebuttal you have been provided, you continue with your rant. Your listening skills seem to be as good as your writing skills. LOL. What "big northern cities" were you hoping to become, Detroit, Buffalo, or where? Your dream is not the goal of the reasonable person that lives here. As a matter of fact, you may have noticed that we seem to be somewhat attractive to hundreds of thousands from "big northern cities." It may surprise you (pretty sure it will) to know that the only northern cities larger than us are: Boston, NYC, Baltimore, D.C. Philadelphia, Detroit and Chicago. My personal opinion is that you are not actually in the Charlotte area or you may possibly be in prison. Am I correct? If not, my apologies. Have a great day and if you are able, go outside, take a nice stroll and enjoy the beauty of the wonderful Carolina morning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 06:21 AM
 
830 posts, read 1,315,093 times
Reputation: 608
The big northern cities took hundreds of years to become the urbanized and really dense areas that you see today - and essentially grew organically that way. I don't know how you realistically take a new sun-belt city that had a small downtown core surrounded by suburbs, and all of a sudden expect it to mirror a NY, Boston or Philly in terms of density. SouthPark was farmland just a few decades ago....

However, I would argue that there is explosive growth in places like the South End and other inner-ring suburbs - some of it is replacing existing housing stock, but most are new developments on what used to be vacant land, or re-purposed. And I think that the more dense, walkable core of the city is spreading outwards from uptown through South End, Cherry, Plaza Midwood, NoDa, etc....and uptown itself is a lot more dense and and built up than it used to be. You can argue whether this new development has any character, but it is definitely creating a more urban feel. Have you been along the "Rail Trail" recently? or Midtown around Cherry for example? It's changed radically in the past 5 years.

To be sure, there is still sprawl - but that mostly on the outskirts and into places like Union County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 06:46 AM
 
986 posts, read 738,289 times
Reputation: 1941
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Go to a city council meeting & ask if they can modify the zoning code. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
I think people should be able to plant whatever they want in their yard. Besides, these are not the sort of issues that are feasible to monitor and enforce. Its just unfortunate that tract developers can't make better decisions. Most homeowners have no idea what their trees will look like in 25 years and whether its an asset or liability.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-13-2015, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Allen
159 posts, read 116,368 times
Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
After all of the rebuttal you have been provided, you continue with your rant. Your listening skills seem to be as good as your writing skills. LOL. What "big northern cities" were you hoping to become, Detroit, Buffalo, or where? Your dream is not the goal of the reasonable person that lives here. As a matter of fact, you may have noticed that we seem to be somewhat attractive to hundreds of thousands from "big northern cities." It may surprise you (pretty sure it will) to know that the only northern cities larger than us are: Boston, NYC, Baltimore, D.C. Philadelphia, Detroit and Chicago. My personal opinion is that you are not actually in the Charlotte area or you may possibly be in prison. Am I correct? If not, my apologies. Have a great day and if you are able, go outside, take a nice stroll and enjoy the beauty of the wonderful Carolina morning.
I love how you and others thing that because I have an opinion one this site called City Data that that is everything in my life. Should I just post how lovely the weather was today? Or should I post opinions about the city? I could say the same thing about all of you regulars that I see on almost every post on here, but I don't, I read your opinions even if I don't agree with them.
Apparently, you didn't read the post that was in reference to.

Last edited by Ahh Life; 10-13-2015 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: Added a thought
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2015, 07:51 AM
 
44,352 posts, read 17,716,609 times
Reputation: 18666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahh Life View Post
I love how you and others thing that because I have an opinion one this site called City Data that that is everything in my life. Should I just post how lovely the weather was today? Or should I post opinions about the city? I could say the same thing about all of you regulars that I see on almost every post on here, but I don't, I read your opinions even if I don't agree with them.
Apparently, you didn't read the post that was in reference to.
Oh stop.

You started this topic by asking questions based on false assumptions. When those assumptions were corrected with actual facts, you simply ignored them and went on as if they were never said.

Sure, you are entitled to opinion. But attempts to push opinion as fact in a thinly veiled topic where you attempt to learn about the city, well..... as you can see, people are smarter than falling for that. Charlotte isn't for you, then fine. Nobody here has a problem with that. But to go on about it ad nauseam speaks more about you than it does the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-14-2015, 08:55 AM
 
436 posts, read 334,704 times
Reputation: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahh Life View Post
I love how you and others thing that because I have an opinion one this site called City Data that that is everything in my life. Should I just post how lovely the weather was today? Or should I post opinions about the city? I could say the same thing about all of you regulars that I see on almost every post on here, but I don't, I read your opinions even if I don't agree with them.
Apparently, you didn't read the post that was in reference to.
I am fairly new to this board. I only respond to you when you are wrong. Unfortunately, that is pretty much all the time. I too, am entitled to an opinion and will challenge you if you continue with ridiculous statements. There are things in the area that certainly need improving. You can suggest such improvements. Suggestions are not the same as lame statements that are thrown out to create negative responses. Just curious, where were you go to school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top