U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2015, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 746 times

Advertisements

I have a situation and want to see what you think. I was ticketed for failure to yield at a pedestrian crossing (school). We have a five lane road in front of our High School, two lanes in each direction and a turning lane which has an island for the students. I approached the cross walk and came to a complete stop allowing three students to cross. When they cleared my two lanes and were in the other two lanes I proceeded to go.

I was pulled over by a patrolman and given a ticket stating I failed to yield because I didnít wait till the students all the way over the five lanes. If that is the case a motorist could theoretically set there for as long as forty five minutes till it was clear as the students come in groups.

The patrolman said they have had several students hurt at that crossing and he was there enforcing the law. If that was the case why didnít they have a grossing guard like the other schools in the area. At least there equal time is given to both student and motorist and no one sets or stands there for a long period of time. This could just be a cash cow for the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2015, 12:25 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,075,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panam10 View Post
I have a situation and want to see what you think. I was ticketed for failure to yield at a pedestrian crossing (school). We have a five lane road in front of our High School, two lanes in each direction and a turning lane which has an island for the students. I approached the cross walk and came to a complete stop allowing three students to cross. When they cleared my two lanes and were in the other two lanes I proceeded to go.

I was pulled over by a patrolman and given a ticket stating I failed to yield because I didnít wait till the students all the way over the five lanes. If that is the case a motorist could theoretically set there for as long as forty five minutes till it was clear as the students come in groups.

The patrolman said they have had several students hurt at that crossing and he was there enforcing the law. If that was the case why didnít they have a grossing guard like the other schools in the area. At least there equal time is given to both student and motorist and no one sets or stands there for a long period of time. This could just be a cash cow for the city.
And cops wonder why people hate them. that was nothing more than a shakedown.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:19 PM

7,672 posts, read 9,926,182 times
I often do pickups and drive by several schools at letting out times. I will do the same as you, when they clear my lane and I have a green light, I go. I never heard of waiting till all lanes are clear, that's a bit much. I would contact that school and tell them to make a sign announcing that. Or informing parents through email/telephones.

Only two times I would wait would be a bus as long as they have their stop signs out and a crossing guard telling me to wait.

And while I am typing this, I can think of one reason why they want you to wait. If you go, it might trigger the ones next you to go not realizing the crosswalk isn't clear as they tend to "follow" the herd? But that's on THEM not you.

Old 10-14-2015, 06:43 PM

2,149 posts, read 2,625,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I often do pickups and drive by several schools at letting out times. I will do the same as you, when they clear my lane and I have a green light, I go. I never heard of waiting till all lanes are clear, that's a bit much. I would contact that school and tell them to make a sign announcing that. Or informing parents through email/telephones.

Only two times I would wait would be a bus as long as they have their stop signs out and a crossing guard telling me to wait.

And while I am typing this, I can think of one reason why they want you to wait. If you go, it might trigger the ones next you to go not realizing the crosswalk isn't clear as they tend to "follow" the herd? But that's on THEM not you.
Good point and probably the reason they want everyone to remain stopped until the crosswalk is clear.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:35 PM

625 posts, read 205,989 times
This is the law in NC:
North Carolina: Vehicles must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk, unmarked crosswalk, or near an intersection. Vehicles emerging from any alleyway, building, private road, or driveway must yield the right of way to any pedestrian or person riding a bicycle approaching on a sidewalk extending across such alleyway, building, private road, or driveway. Pedestrians must yield the right-of-way to vehicles when crossing outside of a marked crosswalk or an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection. Where traffic control devices are in operation, pedestrians may only cross between two adjacent intersections in a marked crosswalk.
http://www.ncsl.org/research/transpo...e-summary.aspx

It doesn't say anything about having to wait until the Pedestrian clears the walkway and has stepped on the sidewalk on the other side.

I lived in NJ with some very strict crosswalk rules and the rule was that you didn't have to wait until they were on the other side. As you stated, you'd be sitting around waiting forever if that's the case.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:38 PM

625 posts, read 205,989 times
South Carolina is more specific about the side of the road:
South Carolina: Vehicles must yield the right-of-way to pedestrians within a crosswalk that are in the same half of the roadway as the vehicle or when a pedestrian is approaching closely enough from the opposite side of the roadway to be in danger. Pedestrians may not suddenly leave the curb and enter a crosswalk into the path of a moving vehicle that is so close to constitute an immediate hazard. Pedestrians must yield the right-of-way to vehicles when crossing outside of a marked crosswalk or an unmarked crosswalk at an intersection. Where traffic control devices are in operation, pedestrians may only cross between two adjacent intersections in a marked crosswalk and may only cross an intersection diagonally if authorized by a traffic control device.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte