U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 10:18 AM

10,828 posts, read 19,371,098 times

Advertisements

After spending several days exploring Charlotte, I must say, I'm impressed. It doesn't have everything. I still wish it had MLB and I think it's missing the charm and ambiance of a more historically urban core and building stock, but for what Charlotte is, they have really done a great job making the city into a dense, walkable city.

The amount of urban development there is still just amazing. Office, residential and hotel development is still going crazy in both the core downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. Nice to see the light rail being expanded. I don't like vintage streetcar cars though. Why would such a modern city use such old technology for a brand new streetcar line? But I guess it gets the job done. The city has a very robust bus system as well and a very large transit center.

Great night life, lively downtown with lots of retail open late hours etc.

Anyway, I have always been a bit hard on Charlotte because of how it feels so low density and even suburban just blocks from the CBD and in many cases is still has a very suburban feel right in the city, but this city has really grown up into a major second tier city.

Nice city you got there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 11:42 AM

3,759 posts, read 3,277,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
After spending several days exploring Charlotte, I must say, I'm impressed. It doesn't have everything. I still wish it had MLB and I think it's missing the charm and ambiance of a more historically urban core and building stock, but for what Charlotte is, they have really done a great job making the city into a dense, walkable city.

The amount of urban development there is still just amazing. Office, residential and hotel development is still going crazy in both the core downtown and surrounding neighborhoods. Nice to see the light rail being expanded. I don't like vintage streetcar cars though. Why would such a modern city use such old technology for a brand new streetcar line? But I guess it gets the job done. The city has a very robust bus system as well and a very large transit center.

Anyway, I have always been a bit hard on Charlotte because of how it feels so low density and even suburban just blocks from the CBD and in many cases is still has a very suburban feel right in the city, but this city has really grown up into a major second tier city.

Nice city you got there!

Flattering compliments. I'm not sure how familiar with what's all happening now, but several large towers have yet to break ground and there are lots of lobby conversions to retail going on. Particularly the lobby's on all corners of trade Tryon. Retail such as Whole Foods and Publix are coming uptown and supposedly a mall is rumored to be coming to the old Charlotte Observer site.

The old Trolley is temporary until the extension. They will use (I'm not too familiar with terms so I may be wrong) the Siemens "s70" which I believe are the same As Atlanta's and just a slightly smaller version of our current light rail.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:33 PM

102 posts, read 82,677 times
"The old Trolley is temporary until the extension. They will use (I'm not too familiar with terms so I may be wrong) the Siemens "s70" which I believe are the same As Atlanta's and just a slightly smaller version of our current light rail."

This is correct, the current line is only the beginning. Unfortunately the shortsighted people of Charlotte don't understand that concept. Streetcars are not as efficient as light rails, but in the older neighborhoods around uptown, it makes more sense. People don't like to say this, because it's not politically correct. But middle class and wealthy people don't like to ride buses, with the exception of the express buses perhaps. The streetcar is quaint, because it's slower than traffic it will be more consistent as it won't "catch up" to other cars and be held up, that makes it more appealing to people who are exploring or enjoying a night out and may want to ditch the car. Not to mention with the reduced traffic resulting from the streetcar and the proposed silver line, over time the streetcar will make even more sense.

Old 10-21-2015, 01:27 PM

Okay, thanks for the info on the vintage vs modern streetcars. I did a little research and sure enough, they are only using vintage cars that were on the old line in the 1990's and they plan to use modern streetcars when they extend the line. Makes total sense. I guess they could still run the "historic" cars along with the modern ones to give tourists a little something to look at.

Transit in Charlotte is impressive. It got off to a slow start and then has taken off. I don't live in Kansas City anymore, but but it's amazing how much Charlotte has pulled away from KC in many ways and KC is likely to never close the gap again. Mostly when it come to transit etc as I still think KC is a tier above Charlotte in many other ways.

I think Charlotte will be a very interesting city in another 10-15 years.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:08 PM

645 posts, read 756,971 times
Quote:
I think Charlotte will be a very interesting city in another 10-15 years.
From a distance perhaps. It'll be known as the city that went from being a wide spot in the road to a wider spot in the road after making liquor-by-the-drink legal. Such distinction.

Old 10-21-2015, 06:21 PM

Can somebody tell me what the building is that's under construction in this pic? How tall will it be and when will it be done? Looking to take this same photo at night, but will probably wait if this is a tall building.

Old 10-21-2015, 07:49 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,550,237 times
525 South Church Street Apartments above the Mint Museum. 42 Stories

Old 10-22-2015, 06:36 AM

159 posts, read 116,520 times
Quote:

Nice city you got there!
I agree, I wish they would push out the suburban and spread the urban out further. They had thought of plans to remove 277 loop at one time so the city would grow. Not sure what ever happened to that idea.

Old 10-22-2015, 07:02 AM

115 posts, read 183,019 times
Quote:

Nice city you got there!

I am so jealous of those of you who live in "the city". I live in the burbs, and it's not that I don't like it, I do - there are several things that I really enjoy about it. BUT, being born and raised in NYC, I do miss the energy of a city, the culture, the restaurants, the feast for the senses. Whenever we head uptown, I feel at home. We moved to the burbs cause my DH is not a city person and because it is the lifestyle that my kids are familiar with. Moving to another state was a large enough adjustment-I didn't want to overwhelm them.
I'm happy that the light rail will connect UNCC with uptown. It's great for the students and the faculty as well.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:17 PM

29,780 posts, read 27,214,589 times
Quote:
Mostly when it come to transit etc as I still think KC is a tier above Charlotte in many other ways.
Culturally I'd guess that KCMO is a notch above Charlotte, but economically (which translates to other areas, like transit which you mentioned) Charlotte has certainly leapfrogged it and other cities that had a head start on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte