Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2015, 08:11 AM

6 posts, read 8,580 times

Advertisements

Our brief research has the short list down to Belmont, Matthews & Fort Mill due to hubs job location in SW Charlotte. We're relocating from a larger, metro area in KY. Our son is Ugandan born. While our immediate community is surrounded by adoptive families and über supportive, I've found that other smaller areas of this (and other states) aren't as much.

When we relocate to the Charlotte area, our suburb decision will largely depend on an open mindedness in the area of diversity and cultural opportunities. I'm not meaning to generalize "the south" (hello..KY girl here), but I hope someone out there is understanding my concerns as a mother.

Tell me the straight truths about these (and other) areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 08:18 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,029 times
Most people are very open minded. You will find closed minded people anywhere - you just don't associate with them. The Charlotte region is full of transplants from all over - it may even be rare to meet a native. The closer-in to the city you are, the more liberal people tend to be but this should not be an issue in the towns you are considering. Any reason Charlotte is not on your list? Most of it is very suburban.

Old 10-25-2015, 01:11 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,485,846 times
We have an adopted child of another race and I have never had an issue, ever when it comes to race.

Old 10-25-2015, 02:50 PM

436 posts, read 445,701 times
It all depends on the child. He will have no problem with other people if he himself is friendly and accepts others without regard to their race. In these parts, we generally tend to judge on behavior and not color. Of course, we are extremely diverse in the area and people of all types, places, and attitudes make up the population. Don't worry.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:55 AM

430 posts, read 803,898 times
I'm in Western Union County, and I know a bunch of people who have adopted children from other countries. I've never heard anyone tell me there was an issue, but since it's common enough I doubt it would be.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:17 AM

436 posts, read 445,701 times
My friend is married to a Japanese guy who is my friend as well. A couple of times in downtown Manhattan where she lives, she was told by strangers on the street that she should stick to her own kind. So, even thinking that Charlotte would be any different than any other large city is pretty stereotypically out of date. No different here than any other place. On the other hand, someone could say something insulting, but it would have nothing to do with the city. It would only signify the feelings of the person commenting.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:54 AM

625 posts, read 488,028 times
No issues (Fort Mill). My son's school is about 5% kids of mixed races and then a nice mix of everything else. In general, most schools in Fort Mill are pretty diverse (there are two elementary schools that aren't -- Gold Hill and Orchard Park because of their location).

I've found people here more welcoming than they were up north to a "mixed race" couple such as us. We have neighbors that celebrate Diwali and have invited us over. We have middle eastern neighbors that have been open to sharing with us as well. So far we've had a great experience.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:38 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,720,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
No issues (Fort Mill). My son's school is about 5% kids of mixed races and then a nice mix of everything else. In general, most schools in Fort Mill are pretty diverse (there are two elementary schools that aren't -- Gold Hill and Orchard Park because of their location).

I've found people here more welcoming than they were up north to a "mixed race" couple such as us. We have neighbors that celebrate Diwali and have invited us over. We have middle eastern neighbors that have been open to sharing with us as well. So far we've had a great experience.
This sounds like the place I remember. Glad to hear the friendliness and warmth is still present.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:55 PM

246 posts, read 1,247,771 times
NJCoqui,

I should have followed you and stood in Fort Mill!!!. Hope you are all well!!

Old 10-28-2015, 08:08 AM

625 posts, read 488,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fllover View Post
NJCoqui,

I should have followed you and stood in Fort Mill!!!. Hope you are all well!!
Thanks, so far so good. Really enjoying Fort Mill. It's been a great fit for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte