U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-25-2015, 10:38 PM
 
102 posts, read 82,603 times
Reputation: 95

Advertisements

I'm planning to use a complimentary ticket that was given to me to go to Carowinds on the last day they're open. No use in letting it go to waste and I've been dying to go on Fury just one more time before spring. Obviously I'm already saving a lot of money by getting into the park for free, but I'll only be there a few hours before work and I'm cheap, but healthy and am willing to walk a bit. Does anyone know of places nearby, Hotels, maybe Cabella's, that I could get away with leaving my car at for a bit? Be honest, and please be polite. I can afford the 15 bucks, but it would be nice not to have to shell it out if necessary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-25-2015, 11:36 PM
 
Location: Charlotte Metro Area
2,155 posts, read 3,372,810 times
Reputation: 1657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A View Post
I'm planning to use a complimentary ticket that was given to me to go to Carowinds on the last day they're open. No use in letting it go to waste and I've been dying to go on Fury just one more time before spring. Obviously I'm already saving a lot of money by getting into the park for free, but I'll only be there a few hours before work and I'm cheap, but healthy and am willing to walk a bit. Does anyone know of places nearby, Hotels, maybe Cabella's, that I could get away with leaving my car at for a bit? Be honest, and please be polite. I can afford the 15 bucks, but it would be nice not to have to shell it out if necessary.
Is it worth the 15 bucks to have to worry about being ticketed and towed from private property to who knows where in York County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 06:31 AM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,875,709 times
Reputation: 7950
How about taking a bus instead of driving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 09:04 AM
 
305 posts, read 385,378 times
Reputation: 712
There are no places conveniently walkable nearby.

You would have to walk like 2-3 miles (at least) alone to get even close to the parking area from the nearest parking option such as a Cabella's.

That is insanely inconvenient, unsafe, and weird for 15 bucks. There is a reason everyone pays the parking or everyone would do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 09:23 AM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,875,709 times
Reputation: 7950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
There are no places conveniently walkable nearby.

You would have to walk like 2-3 miles (at least) alone to get even close to the parking area from the nearest parking option such as a Cabella's.

That is insanely inconvenient, unsafe, and weird for 15 bucks. There is a reason everyone pays the parking or everyone would do it.
I wouldn't call it weird to want to save money no matter how little. For some people that's 2 hours worth of working after taxes. And walking 2 miles is nothing to people as I walk easily 4 a day around my community.

But you are correct that there isn't anything convenient/legal for "free" parking at carowinds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 09:29 AM
 
305 posts, read 385,378 times
Reputation: 712
It's weird because it's a 2-3 mile walk in an area not really designated for proper walking such your neighborhood. They will have also left their vehicle in a parking lot that is for intended for patrons of that retail facility. They can actually get towed.

If that 2-4 hours of walking to save 15 dollars is that important, maybe they should consider passing on the recreational activities and look into improving their source of income. (Not talking about the original poster as they said they could pay it, just a hypothetical.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 09:36 AM
 
7,672 posts, read 9,875,709 times
Reputation: 7950
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
It's weird because it's a 2-3 mile walk in an area not really designated for proper walking such your neighborhood. They will have also left their vehicle in a parking lot that is for intended for patrons of that retail facility. They can actually get towed.

If that 2-4 hours of walking to save 15 dollars is that important, maybe they should consider passing on the recreational activities and look into improving their source of income. (Not talking about the original poster as they said they could pay it, just a hypothetical.)
I didn't condone the parking at Cabelas or other stores but I have seen numerous people walking down the park entrance road. Seems safe enough to me. I have been there several times this Summer due to passes. I have seen buses go up and down carowinds blvd hence the suggestion of a bus.

As for your comment on improving their income...the pass was free for the OP. I know you didn't mean the OP personally but I did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 12:20 PM
 
102 posts, read 82,603 times
Reputation: 95
Alright folks, I said be polite. I CAN afford parking, that's no issue. But if there's a known free option within reason, what's the harm in asking? I have to be into work by 2:30 so saving that 15 bucks would be nice since I'm not getting a full day. Also, the CATS bus to Carowinds is seasonal and stopped running last month. Otherwise I would have parked at the 485 station and taken that bus, that would have been perfectly legal. As far as comments about my income, I'm a college student that works at Target for 9 dollars an hour. I balance work and school and without a degree or time to get a more "professional" job I can't just go and improve my income, so I'd appreciate that assumptions about me be put to rest. (Even if I was out of school and in financial strife, is it a crime to have some fun every once in a while?) 15 bucks is a good meal at a mid-range restaurant, and I'd much rather spend my money on that than just a place to leave my car, but I'll do it if I have to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2015, 01:42 PM
 
777 posts, read 2,273,255 times
Reputation: 489
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spedizzo View Post
There are no places conveniently walkable nearby.

You would have to walk like 2-3 miles (at least) alone to get even close to the parking area from the nearest parking option such as a Cabella's.

That is insanely inconvenient, unsafe, and weird for 15 bucks. There is a reason everyone pays the parking or everyone would do it.

WHAT? 2-3 miles from Cabelas? It is 1/2 mile at most from Cabelas to the entrance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-29-2015, 10:24 AM
 
841 posts, read 2,137,791 times
Reputation: 385
I don't have an answer for you, but I make really good money and it hurts ME to have to pay $15 for parking!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top