U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 09:59 PM

3,703 posts, read 3,238,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crider View Post
Commute from Cornelius, Davidson or Huntersville to Gilead Rd should not be a problem and would not require you to get on I-77.
From Cornelius or Davidson take Statesville Rd or Old Statesville Rd to Gilead Rd Or take Catawba Ave in Cornelius to Sam Furr to Beatties Ford to Gilead. Gilead Rd is in Huntersville so again 1-77 not necessary.

This. There are plenty of back roads that aren't clogged from Davidson through Huntersville. If you live outside of these towns, the commute will be congested. But moving through the backroads and neighborhoods is much better than I77 traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 08:11 AM

226 posts, read 312,334 times
Before thinking about 'reverse commute', you should actually make the drive in rush hour when you come to visit. I live in Huntersville right near Vermillion, and my cousin bought a house on Lake Norman. Can't remember the exit in Mooresville (it's the one with the new JR Cigars, and with Lowes). We went there a few times on a weekend and it was 35 minutes. He drove from Mooresville to Huntersville on a Wednesday at 5:20pm, and it took an hour and 48 minutes. There were no accidents or anything - just bumper to bumper congestion that made the 10 mile drive unbearable. I had warned him, but he figured it's a reverse commute, since all of the traffic would be leaving Charlotte and going North on 77. He was wrong.

I'm not sure how old your kids are, but one danger in searching for schools is that it can be re-zoned before they get to High School (if you have really young kids). Vermillion is south of Gilead (although Gilead turns into Huntersville-Concord road), and they're zoned for lesser schools. Across the street is a new community Bellington and I think that's zoned for better schools. But they're putting up another new community (Walden, I think it's called) with 300+ houses. When all is said and done, who knows where the zoning will be in a few years.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:34 AM

3 posts, read 1,959 times
Thank you so much for the responses! You've all given me great points, I appreciate the help. My kids are ages 11, and almost 2, so yes, I definitely need to consider schools. :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte