U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:35 AM

15 posts, read 26,223 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

I'm 26, female, have been living in NYC since college for graduate school and getting my career started, but am ready to leave the city for many reasons, one being that while dating is great, most aren't ready to settle down. I want to be in the SE (my company is letting me work remotely so job is not an issue), I have family in GA, and while I don't necessarily see myself living in ATL, CLT seems a good alternative, and is close enough to drive.

Having said that, I posted another thread about finding a city to move to and one of the responses was that most people in CLT are married or in serious relationships by my age. I figured there would be an element of that, but do you think the majority of people by 26 are already married/coupled up?

Thanks for any insight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 08:38 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,774,902 times
In my somewhat limited experience and knowledge, i would say the answer is no. There is probably a higher percentage of mid-20's getting married in Charlotte (and the South in general) than in NYC, but I think Charlotte is also experiencing the nationwide trend of later marriages.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:39 AM

363 posts, read 365,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clairea86 View Post
Hi everyone.

I'm 26, female, have been living in NYC since college for graduate school and getting my career started, but am ready to leave the city for many reasons, one being that while dating is great, most aren't ready to settle down. I want to be in the SE (my company is letting me work remotely so job is not an issue), I have family in GA, and while I don't necessarily see myself living in ATL, CLT seems a good alternative, and is close enough to drive.

Having said that, I posted another thread about finding a city to move to and one of the responses was that most people in CLT are married or in serious relationships by my age. I figured there would be an element of that, but do you think the majority of people by 26 are already married/coupled up?

Thanks for any insight
I am 28 and married. Most the people I know my age are either married, in a relationship, or are looking to settle down.

Hope that helps!

Old 11-02-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
I am 28 and married. Most the people I know my age are either married, in a relationship, or are looking to settle down.

Hope that helps!
Thank you! Would you say that at 26 then I'm probably too old to find someone in CLT then?

Old 11-02-2015, 08:56 AM

4,093 posts, read 10,145,101 times
There are plenty of singles in Charlotte at every age.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:59 AM

23,851 posts, read 19,791,115 times
There are plenty of single women in Charlotte. Loads of them actually. You will not be in bad company. Whether the competition for a single man is high, i'm not sure. I would assume so since Charlotte has a nice supply of single women, but I would also assume that there are plenty of single men as well. Any bar in Charlotte will give you an idea of what you can expect, and that's just the tip of the iceberg. Church and social media/social meeting sites will also point you in the direction of single people. I personally don't think finding single people will be a problem.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:04 AM

140 posts, read 136,863 times
Plenty of single people, plenty of married people, plenty of people in one situation wanting to be in the other.

At 26, you are not too old to find someone. Just move where you want to move.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:41 AM

Thanks everyone!

Old 11-02-2015, 09:57 AM

436 posts, read 334,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
In my somewhat limited experience and knowledge, i would say the answer is no. There is probably a higher percentage of mid-20's getting married in Charlotte (and the South in general) than in NYC, but I think Charlotte is also experiencing the nationwide trend of later marriages.

This all depends on ethnicity and other factors. There is an incredible number of unwed mothers living in all places where benefits are best, both north and south. I am white (European) and most of the people today that I have known in my ethnicity have gotten married are in their late twenties to early forties. I'm pretty certain that it isn't any noticeable difference in the ages of marriage in Charlotte than it is in Denver, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, or Tampa.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:10 AM

4,639 posts, read 4,774,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
This all depends on ethnicity and other factors. There is an incredible number of unwed mothers living in all places where benefits are best, both north and south. I am white (European) and most of the people today that I have known in my ethnicity have gotten married are in their late twenties to early forties. I'm pretty certain that it isn't any noticeable difference in the ages of marriage in Charlotte than it is in Denver, Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, or Tampa.
Well, traditionally, southerners have married at an earlier age than the rest of country. Still true today? i don't know. My guess is yes, but its a guess. Trends like that take a long time to change, typically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or