Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 11:24 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times

Advertisements

My vote would be for South End. You can ride the light rail into the center city without having to drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2015, 03:48 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
Between what hours is public transportation less safe? Or between which stops? Is Charlotte the type of town with panhandlers sitting on the street? What's the cost to park uptown with say a one year pass?

Old 11-15-2015, 07:44 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,464,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Between what hours is public transportation less safe? Or between which stops? Is Charlotte the type of town with panhandlers sitting on the street? What's the cost to park uptown with say a one year pass?
Charlotte is like any large city in the country, it has homeless. Some are a little more aggressive in their requests for money but they don't concern me. Same with public transportation, it's safe and has no track record to indicate otherwise. Obviously the later you get in the evenings/night the more "interesting" characters you might see on there, same as any other large city and their public transportation. Nothing remarkable in either regard as far as Charlotte goes.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:39 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,545,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRKate View Post
I can't believe I did it but I actually found a job in Charlotte. I'm absolutely thrilled to be moving to your fair city! I'll be relocating from Little Rock, AR.

I've been reading various threads in this forum for the past few weeks but still have a few residual questions, if you wouldn't mind.

I start my new job December 14th. I'll be working on 4th St uptown (near the Hornets arena.) Based on the threads I've been reading, it looks like NoDa or Uptown would be a good fit. I don't really need to be in the middle of everything, but I would love a bar or two or a nice cafe within walking distance. I'm 28, single, young professional so if you think something else would be a better fit, I'd love to hear it! I like that Uptown is so close to work and I like the artsy/brewery vibe I got from NoDa. Is SouthEnd a difficult commute from Uptown? I haven't ruled out Dilworth or Elizabeth but NoDa seemed much closer to work. Am I wrong? Like I said, I don't need a hotspot but would love to pop into a wine bar or cafe after work.

If I were to choose NoDa, I would be about 1.5 miles from work. Does North Davidson get very busy in the mornings? If I were to live Uptown, I could walk the half mile to work. But if N. Davidson doesn't get absolutely crazy during rush hour, I don't think a mile and a half drive would be so bad. If it becomes absolutely gridlocked, that's another story and could play a big roll in my decision making.

Do any of you have recommendations for apartments? I imagine I will rent for about a year before trying to buy. I want something kinda of loft-y but really haven't found that much. Alpha Mills and Yards at NoDa are on my radar and Camden Cotton Mills and Post Uptown Place look interesting so I would love to hear if anyone has any insight. I'm trying to keep my budget around $1200 but have some flexibility. I'm open to either a studio or a one bedroom.

I'm so excited to get settled in and start my new life in Charlotte! Thank you in advance for any insight you have!
Congratulations on your new job and opportunity! There are way smarter people than me that can recommend nice places to live and I think $1200/mo should get you that. Just wanted to add my congrats. I remember what it's like to turn a new chapter and see all the opportunities in front of me - it's exciting and keep us updated!

Old 11-17-2015, 10:53 AM

8 posts, read 9,264 times
Thanks everyone for all the advice! As mid- December approaches, I am getting more and more excited to start my new life in Charlotte!

Based on everyone's feedback, I definitely think I'll focus my search on South End. I will have to do the couple weeks in Harrisburg but the condo I'm looking at is available Jan 1 and hopefully there will be lots of people taking time off for the holidays so traffic wouldn't be as bad as usual. Hey, one can dream, right?

I've never used public transportation on a regular basis (Little Rock isn't exactly know for its urban amenities) so this will be an adjustment, but a positive one I think. It'll be nice to not have to fight traffic in/out of town, even though South End is pretty close to my workplace. I'd just as assume not deal with it at all!

Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte