U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2015, 12:34 PM

436 posts, read 334,778 times

Advertisements

DonMattingly, I would bet anything that you never go to museums, symphonies, operas, ballets, libraries, or even attended a local university. You seem to have a complex about being in a city that is much better than where you came from, and it wasn't supposed to be. It is a common occurrence. Furthermore, I don't thing you are sophisticated and feel that you are in above your head living here. Just a guess. I guess our football team sucks too? LOL!!

Old 12-27-2015, 12:48 PM

50 posts, read 43,149 times
You're wrong, Dick Rawson.

Don't be so insecure about Charlotte's cultural backwater status. If it weren't such a backwater, Moynihan, Montag, and Lynch would be willing to live here.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:53 PM

21,872 posts, read 27,138,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMattingly View Post
Respectfully, there's nothing sophisticated about Charlotte. It doesn't have great museums, symphonies, operas, ballets, universities, or libraries. It doesn't even have interesting, historic neighborhoods like the West Village, SoHo, TriBeCa, Georgetown, Beacon Hill, or Society Hill.

People don't move to Charlotte for an urban experience. They come because it's cheap and has good weather compared to Ohio, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Syracuse, etc. In fact, those cities (except for Pittsburgh) are cultural vacuums.
Well, Don, there's nothing respectful about any of your posts with any of your screen names. They follow along in the same condescending manner of the insults that I've heard from blue-collar NYers for decades in the Philadelphia metro, where the comeback to the insults is "Why did you come down here?" So, why did you come down?

By the way, don't think for one minute that I believe for one second that you see any redeeming qualities in Society Hill, the grandfather of gentrification in this country.

Old 12-27-2015, 03:29 PM

436 posts, read 334,778 times
Don, don't be so defensive and frustrated. It is likely that you wouldn't have friend or have dates in any other city either. Seriously, I have lived in many more places than you, and I have never been anywhere that I couldn't enjoy. I is all about motivation and having enough intelligence to appreciate and enjoy the current citywide developments right in front of you. Sophisticated people enjoy watching a great city emerging being part of it. I have even heard this philosophy from people from New York City.

I might add that Charlotte doesn't have historic neighborhoods as the city is not an old city like NYC, Philadelphia, Boston, Charleston, or Savannah, and the other very old port cities of America. At the time of the Civil War, Charlotte's population was the same as Belmont's present day population. We are in the same situation as Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Las Vegas, and other sun belt cities in regards to historic sections and being mew cities. An intelligent, sophisticated person would have understood this.

Last edited by richard rawaon; 12-27-2015 at 04:40 PM..

Old 12-28-2015, 07:54 AM

3,745 posts, read 3,265,475 times
Quote:
I have lots of friends, Dick. Conservative, Sourhern Evangelicals love Jews.

PS: Since Charlotte, Atlanta, Phoenix, Dallas, etc are so new, they don't feel remotely urban. Dallas and Houston, though, unlike Charlotte, etc have relatively good museums, etc because they have many very wealthy residents that underwrite them. Charlotte does not and never will.

Conservative evangelical southerners? that doesn't sound too "sophisticated"

I'm assuming you're poor? So what connections do you have to the Charlotte region?

Old 12-28-2015, 08:17 AM

5,869 posts, read 7,703,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Conservative evangelical southerners? that doesn't sound too "sophisticated"

I'm assuming you're poor? So what connections do you have to the Charlotte region?
He had moved to Charlotte at one point because someone told him it was the second coming of NYC, and for some reason he believed it but was disappointed when he got here and realized that wasn't the case.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:41 AM

3,223 posts, read 8,480,874 times
Quote:
Respectfully, there's nothing sophisticated about Charlotte. It doesn't have great museums, symphonies, operas, ballets, universities, or libraries. It doesn't even have interesting, historic neighborhoods like the West Village, SoHo, TriBeCa, Georgetown, Beacon Hill, or Society Hill.

People don't move to Charlotte for an urban experience. They come because it's cheap and has good weather compared to Ohio, Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Syracuse, etc. In fact, those cities (except for Pittsburgh) are cultural vacuums.
Charlotte seems much like the rest of NC, only more populated with more things. Still the people seem more civilized, which is what I think many on here are trying to argue.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:36 AM

528 posts, read 448,842 times
Charlotte is sophisticated in the sense it gives its residents one of the highest qualities of life to be found on this planet. Cheaper than many major U.S. cities, more spacious, less stressful, plenty of amenities, clean, modern, polite and friendly people for the most part, currently developing so that more "urban"-type lifestyles can be accommodated, great international airport, etc.

Is Charlotte perfect? No. But it's pretty darn decent.

As for the lack of historical neighborhoods with charm, that is absolutely true but at least Charlotte is within day trip distance of Winston-Salem (Old Salem, Downtown Arts District, Reynolda, etc.) and Asheville. Charleston and Savannah (two of the best historical cities to visit in the entire country) are only 3-4 hours away as well, easily doable for a weekend trip.

Old 12-28-2015, 11:49 AM

1,985 posts, read 1,384,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shunketsu View Post
Charlotte is sophisticated in the sense it gives its residents one of the highest qualities of life to be found on this planet. Cheaper than many major U.S. cities, more spacious, less stressful, plenty of amenities, clean, modern, polite and friendly people for the most part, currently developing so that more "urban"-type lifestyles can be accommodated, great international airport, etc.

Is Charlotte perfect? No. But it's pretty darn decent.

As for the lack of historical neighborhoods with charm, that is absolutely true but at least Charlotte is within day trip distance of Winston-Salem (Old Salem, Downtown Arts District, Reynolda, etc.) and Asheville. Charleston and Savannah (two of the best historical cities to visit in the entire country) are only 3-4 hours away as well, easily doable for a weekend trip.

4th ward says hi.

Friends of Fourth Ward - Charlotte, NC

Dilworth says hi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEefYjAuXAs

Elizabeth says hi.

https://www.elizabethcommunity.com/

Wilmore says hi.

Living in Historic Wilmore & South End - Home

I don't know how some of you posters define charm, but Charlotte has it. How old does a neighborhood need to be to be considered "historic"?

You're not looking in the right places if you're missing it. You certainly don't need to drive 3 hours.

Old 12-28-2015, 12:22 PM

528 posts, read 448,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
4th ward says hi.

Friends of Fourth Ward - Charlotte, NC

Dilworth says hi.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEefYjAuXAs

Elizabeth says hi.

https://www.elizabethcommunity.com/

Wilmore says hi.

Living in Historic Wilmore & South End - Home

I don't know how some of you posters define charm, but Charlotte has it. How old does a neighborhood need to be to be considered "historic"?

You're not looking in the right places if you're missing it. You certainly don't need to drive 3 hours.
Those are nice neighborhoods, but let's face it, all of them pale in comparison to Old Salem, Downtown Asheville with its Art Deco, and especially the historic districts of Charleston and Savannah. Streetcar suburbs are not that special when there are many of them in the U.S. I was thinking about including them in my post but to be honest Charlotte's strength is not charming, historic neighborhoods. The city is sophisticated in many other ways though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or