U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 04:31 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,823,696 times

Advertisements

Charlotte NASCAR Museum. LOL.

I'm not sure what you are looking for but the best trait Charlotte has in my opinion is the beauty of the city. The streets are clean and it is the city of trees and churches and shiny new buildings and jogging trails. Who would want to live in a sophisticated city when you could live in a warm and friendly city instead?

Last edited by NCN; 11-10-2015 at 04:45 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 04:42 PM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 21,823,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I'm appalled.. you're clearly delusional. Charlotte is a global powerhouse with tons of cultural influence in the world. It's cosmopolitan character radiates at the utterance of its name alone. The savviest of corporations headquarter here (banks). The Charlotte Observer is packed with exemplary success stories every day. The previous poster has already illustrated its impeccable responsiveness to its residents. Even formula 1 can't hold a candle to Nascar racing. The city's superb benefits are insurmountable.
Why are you asking the question if you are going to attack people who answer. I think his answer was right. Charlotte is warm, friendly, with a lot going on but who on earth wants sophistication. We have too much rain around here for people to go around with their noses stuck up in the air. They might drown.

Old 11-10-2015, 04:48 PM

2,859 posts, read 1,982,226 times
This really depends on what sophistication is in the eye of the beholder. Charlotte's sophistication is more left brain focused, with an emphasis on consumerism and sports, and has more of a nouveau riche feel than cities that have an older history in the arts and became big cities long before Charlotte (i.e. Boston, Pittsburgh, even Charleston, SC which was a large city for its time, etc.).

Even the physical layout makes a difference in this regard, since much of Charlotte's diversity has come of age in the era of the automobile.
Instead of having a Chinatown or other similar ethnic district being in an older part of the city where people walk around to experience the ambiance, going to eclectic/funky/ethnic places typically involves navigating from one 1970's strip shopping center to another, and often a 20 minute drive from one to the next. That's not to criticize Charlotte, but it's history as a large city is so early, so it's really a poor comparison to compare it to an older city. Although there are some exceptions, and this may be changing to some extent, Charlotte has always seemed to focus more on bigger, shinier, and newer as opposed to preserving its historic heritage.

The sophistication also seems more focused on consumerism (having the state's only Neiman Marcus, the fanciest Harris "Taj ma" Teeters in the state, et. al.) than most of NC (excluding a few places like Cary in the Triangle). Someone from Dallas or LA may say Charlotte has much less of a keeping up with the Jones' mentality than where they're from (and they're probably right), but this is all relative. Charlotte is a "strive to be sophisticated via consumerism" oriented city compared to somewhere like Albemarle or Shelby, and almost the rest of North Carolina.

Last edited by Jowel; 11-10-2015 at 05:01 PM..

Old 11-10-2015, 08:35 PM

5,869 posts, read 7,701,590 times
I'm not really sure what OP means either but I do think the airport might be a good answer and honestly IMO can be sort of representative of Charlotte as a whole. One of the busiest airports in the country, but it is clean, easy to navigate and the employees are pretty friendly for the most part.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:11 AM

436 posts, read 334,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
My dog uses the toilet while reading The New Yorker, sometimes with a pipe in his paw. He always puts the seat down and even includes a courtesy flush if appropriate. He's a good boy.
That is sophisticated enough.

Old 12-09-2015, 12:50 PM

102 posts, read 82,490 times
I'm a little late to the party here, but if anyone is still interested, my opinion, and personal experience, is that Charlotte exhibits high levels of sophistication in many ways. We do attract national and international talent (just this past evening Billy Joel performed a Saturday night show) and we often attract Broadway shows to the numerous beautiful and modern performing arts centers (6 auditoriums uptown, and Ovens down Independence) We have high end shopping malls like Southpark, a booming economy, literally thousands of housing units being constructed or in the planning process. Our airport is one of the busiest in the WORLD not just the country (and to whoever got salty about the Queen Charlotte statue, relax, they'll move it inside the new terminal after the expansion.) Charlotte is still developing, and is trying to gain an identity, it never really held onto one industry for long enough to become known for something. For a while it was steel, then textiles, now, finance. We made the mistakes of tearing down many historical landmarks that other NC cities still have and we've suffered for it. Sure, we're not New York or Los Angeles, but how many cities of 800,000 do you know that have comparable levels of sophistication to NY or LA? NC is very much a state that is interconnected, and thus some of what many cities may have in their limits is spread throughout the state, like the zoo in Asheboro and the aquarium(s) on the coast. I predict that as Charlotte continues to grow, so will it's sophistication, but it will likely be more in the direction of Dubai, with modern new wonders to make up for the lack of old historical sites. Either way, Charlotte has been in the global scene, under the social radar, for quite some time. I believe in the very near future, if not already, Charlotte will become a regional destination for those seeking high quality goods and services, and eventually nationally and internationally. Maybe I have big ambitions, but if Charlotte learns from past mistakes other booming cities have made, we can keep this flame going.

Old 12-09-2015, 02:01 PM

159 posts, read 116,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I know this is a funny question but I'm trying to get some perspective here. People in surrounding towns talk about there's so much crime or how there's a lot of growth/ new things in Charlotte.

Is the most sophisticated thing it's airport(rated high)/public transportation?
The sports?
Leisure activities?
The people?
Waste management?
Culture education and heritage?
There is no one thing about Charlotte. We are very general. That's why we can't have a slogan that identifies us as something, it has to be general; Charlotte's Got a Lot!

Old 12-09-2015, 02:25 PM

3,322 posts, read 4,533,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You don't seem to recognize sarcasm very well.
His ability to detect sarcasm certainly isn't sophisticated.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:01 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,284,264 times
Charlotte has a fantastic ballet company. I live in Seattle now, and was disappointed that this "world class city" has a weaker ballet program/company than Charlotte does. I used to love going to the ballet!

Old 12-10-2015, 09:33 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,479,967 times
You guys have convinced me this is indeed a modern city with sophistication. Which is the largest nicest library branch? My standards are quite high. Is the entrance over 100' high with 8 floors of books including all languages of the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or