U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:33 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,060,394 times

Advertisements

The number of people who drive Lexus's

Old 12-18-2015, 12:06 PM

29,522 posts, read 26,997,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
I agree. One could even add South Carolina and say it's the most significant city of the Carolinas as a whole. Pretty impressive. People trying to compare cultural offerings of any US city to NYC are silly.
Significant, sure. But sophisticated? Personally I'd give that honor to Charleston when it comes to the Carolinas as a whole.

Old 12-18-2015, 12:14 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,376,432 times
This thread is hilarious due to the OP's poor diction. Ask an obscure question and get an obscure response.

The most sophisticated city in the Carolina's is Newberry, SC. It's where they make Grey Poupon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwOCOm9Z0YE

Old 12-20-2015, 03:41 PM

3,223 posts, read 8,466,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
The number of people who drive Lexus's
I don't know. I think Lexus cheapened their brand when they started making more affordable models. Same with Mercedes. I wouldn't be caught in even an SL.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard rawaon View Post
I believe that sophistication has manifested itself in many forms in Charlotte making us a sophisticated city. For example, we are one of the most generous charity cities in the U.S. Our conduct at Panther's games and in other sports events is comparatively very civilized, we have many safe, crime free neighborhoods with well kept/well designed homes, we are the American home base for several international companies and this trend is ever growing. We support our troops by having the best USO in the U.S. at the airport with a volunteer force of 400 members. We have the Billy Graham foundation that is on the spot to give support to victims of disasters around the world. Everyone I know accepts people from all walks of life that are good people regardless of race, religion, sexual preferences, etc. We have southern hospitality. The combination of these factors (which on their own may not unique) make us a sophisticated city. And I believe that any one of the aforementioned could be our most sophisticated thing.
You mean there are 400 volunteers in Charlotte that work at the USO in the airport? Does the YMCA uptown offer a cheap overnight sleep? like 15/night etc. I must say I haven't seen too many homeless people uptown, at least nothing compared to other cities.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:49 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,758,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
I don't know. I think Lexus cheapened their brand when they started making more affordable models. Same with Mercedes. I wouldn't be caught in even an SL.
Well, since you make $29,000 a year, I don't think there's much chance of you being caught dead or alive in one. Unless you steal it.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
You mean there are 400 volunteers in Charlotte that work at the USO in the airport? Does the YMCA uptown offer a cheap overnight sleep? like 15/night etc. I must say I haven't seen too many homeless people uptown, at least nothing compared to other cities.
No.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMattingly View Post
Charlotte is a nice, cheap, easy place to live.

It is NOT sophisticated!

1. It does not have great museums, such as (a) the Metropolitan Museum of Art, (b) the MoMA, (c) the Guggenheim, (d) the Whitney, (e) the Frick, (f) the Neue Gallery, (g) the Museum of Natural History, (h) the JP Morgan Library, (i) the Hispanic Society, a museum which is virtually unknown but has paintings by El Greco, Goya, and Velasquez, etc.

2. It does not have great operas, symphonies, ballets, etc.

3. It does not have a great university.

4. It does not have a great library, Etc., etc.
What would you say is Charlotte's best museum? Meaning one that someone would visit more than once and spend more than an hour... For instance in NY I think the natural history museum holds the title. Philly it's the art museum, though I personally think art is boring. Baltimore has a great one at the harbor.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
What would you say is Charlotte's best museum? Meaning one that someone would visit more than once and spend more than an hour... For instance in NY I think the natural history museum holds the title. Philly it's the art museum, though I personally think art is boring. Baltimore has a great one at the harbor.
I think you're asking the wrong person.

Old 12-20-2015, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
These comparisons to NYC get old, but I guess you know little to nothing about other cities that are more appropriate to compare to Charlotte.
Would you rather me compare it with Chattanooga or Richmond? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or