U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 07:39 PM

8 posts, read 12,151 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family of 4 (my husband, myself and 2 boys ages 4.5 and 3) are moving to Charlotte in May/June 2016. Our first concern is best public schools. My husband will be working in Southpark area. We are currently looking at Fort Mill, Weddington/Waxhaw areas. Can someone give us insight as to good neighborhoods, schools and pros and cons that you have been witness to? We are used to Baton Rouge where the houses are custom and we have lots of big yards. We are trying to find something similar to the yard (approx .30 acre) we have here but would like a newer home. Any and all help is appreciated!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2015, 01:10 PM

84 posts, read 99,116 times
Weddington has requirements of 1 acre lots, and the schools here are great! We moved here in 2004 and have seen tremendous growth in neighborhoods (and traffic) which has led to some school redistricting. If you are in the western-most part of the county, your kids should be in either the Weddington, Marvin Ridge or Cuthbertson clusters -- all excellent schools. The commute to Southpark can be a challenge -- unless your husband's schedule has some flexibility and can avoid peak commuting times. This is probably true for Fort Mill residents as well. Good luck with your search (and research).

Old 11-10-2015, 01:21 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,758,981 times
Moving to Weddington/Ardrey Kell schools, please help!
Weddington Chase and Union County Schools
Looking for Home in Marvin/Weddington area
Fort Mill - Belmont - Matthews? Where to relocate?
S Charlotte/ Waxhaw Neighborhood Recommendations
Weddington vs Marvin vs Sandy Ridge Elementary
Union County Schools Waxhaw area schools post redistricting
neighborhood advice for waxhaw, marvin area
Possible Relocation: Company Shipping Me Out for a Week to Visit - What to Do / Where to Go?
I'm confused on conflicting information
Advice on neighborhoods south of uptown, but inside the 485
Barclay Downs
Olde Providence, Beverly Woods, where else for young family?

Old 11-10-2015, 02:28 PM

1,985 posts, read 1,376,986 times
There are some great schools in neighborhoods much closer to Southpark.

Fort Mill/Weddington/Waxhaw are great, but why, in particular, are you focused on those areas? You could live within 485 and save a bunch of time/$ depending on your housing criteria and budget.

Old 11-10-2015, 08:55 PM

Taxes are lower. Public schools are better and that's where we see we can get more for our $$$ Is thereally another area you'd recommend?

Old 11-10-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfie56 View Post
Weddington has requirements of 1 acre lots, and the schools here are great! We moved here in 2004 and have seen tremendous growth in neighborhoods (and traffic) which has led to some school redistricting. If you are in the western-most part of the county, your kids should be in either the Weddington, Marvin Ridge or Cuthbertson clusters -- all excellent schools. The commute to Southpark can be a challenge -- unless your husband's schedule has some flexibility and can avoid peak commuting times. This is probably true for Fort Mill residents as well. Good luck with your search (and research).

I appreciate the feedback. Are you saying all lots in weeddington has to be a min. Of 1 acre? New construction? I'd really love about an acre or even half of an acre but with a new home and that seems hard to find. Living in Baton Rouge we honestly have it all. I'm focusing on 3 car garages so my husband will still have his shop and woodworking toys.

Old 11-10-2015, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essequamvideri View Post
There are some great schools in neighborhoods much closer to Southpark.

Fort Mill/Weddington/Waxhaw are great, but why, in particular, are you focused on those areas? You could live within 485 and save a bunch of time/$ depending on your housing criteria and budget.
Taxes are lower. Public schools are better and that's where we see we can get more for our $$$ Is there another area you'd recommend? Also seems like tour from our company is directing us that way.

Old 11-10-2015, 11:12 PM

2,155 posts, read 3,361,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandhopperbv View Post
Taxes are lower. Public schools are better and that's where we see we can get more for our $$$ Is there another area you'd recommend? Also seems like tour from our company is directing us that way.
Atherton in Weddington is one of the newest subdivisions. It's minimum one acre lots and the prices start at $680k. Shea Homes. All brick, minimum 3 car garages, with options up to 5.

Old 11-11-2015, 06:33 PM

Thanks again to all for the very insightful replies. I know the Weddington / Waxhaw area is a large area, but can you give me a general estimate of travel times to Southpark during rush hour?

Also while Atherton looks amazing, our budget is roughly 350k. Are there neighborhoods in this price range with the approx 1 acre lots that you recommend.

Thanks again to all, very helpful posts

Old 11-11-2015, 07:42 PM

23 posts, read 31,656 times
To SouthPark during rush hour? Easily over 1 hour. So many complaints about all the traffic getting out of Waxhaw - will likely get worse with new developments popping up everywhere.

I don't think I've seen 1 acre lots for newer homes @ $350k price range. Expect to pay a premium for that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or